DASH Diet thread

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    No dinner yet, but I'm actually tracking today.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I'm curious to see how it goes for you :) I'm trying to figure out how to fit in all their daily/weekly serving recommendations, while still staying within the calorie target (for me it's the 1,400 calorie range). Doing the math if I eat all the servings they recommend I will go over 1,400 calories? Thinking about adjusting the servings down to their 1,200 calorie servings recommendations and seeing if that's closer to 1,400? Today I still came in short on grains, didn't have any meat etc and I'm just over 1,400 calories.

• kerrifee10
    kerrifee10 Posts: 3 Member
    I am just starting DASH. I started posting what I eat on here lately also. I am trying to reduce BP, Cholesterol and lose about 15 pounds. I am so confused on the fat issue. I know what good fats are, but full fat dairy recommended now confuses me on total fat intake. Any ideas?
  • zeejane03
    edited January 2019
    kerrifee10 wrote: »
    I am just starting DASH. I started posting what I eat on here lately also. I am trying to reduce BP, Cholesterol and lose about 15 pounds. I am so confused on the fat issue. I know what good fats are, but full fat dairy recommended now confuses me on total fat intake. Any ideas?

I'm going by the DASH fat suggestions, 1 serving a day (for my calorie range) from-

1 tsp soft margarine
    1 tsp vegetable oil (canola, corn, olive, safflower)
    1 Tbsp mayonnaise
    2 Tbsp low fat salad dressing or 1 tbsp full fat dressing
    Fat content changes the serving amount for fats and oils. For example, 1 Tbsp regular salad dressing = one serving; 1 Tbsp low-fat dressing = one-half serving; 1 Tbsp fat-free dressing = zero servings.

As for dairy, DASH recommends fat free or low fat dairy.
  • lemurcat2
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I'm curious to see how it goes for you :) I'm trying to figure out how to fit in all their daily/weekly serving recommendations, while still staying within the calorie target (for me it's the 1,400 calorie range). Doing the math if I eat all the servings they recommend I will go over 1,400 calories? Thinking about adjusting the servings down to their 1,200 calorie servings recommendations and seeing if that's closer to 1,400? Today I still came in short on grains, didn't have any meat etc and I'm just over 1,400 calories.

I'm logging too, to get a sense of macros and calories. I would prefer to track over the week, as it's easier for me to have more meat on some days and none on several.

• lemurcat2
    The higher fat DASH option (which they talked about on n=1 too, I need to relisten) replaces the lowfat skim dairy with full fat.

Recommended Servings

Grains: 5 a day (serving is only 28 g, but I am going to be lenient about being able to sub beans/lentils/peas for grains unless my targets as discussed below are way off) -- 2 servings, oats and quinoa (grains is going to be tough for me, as I'm not a huge fan and feel like they are a waste of calories)

Vegetables: 5 servings a day (I am going to keep trying for my 10+ of fruit and veg) -- 11 today, although less varied than usual -- 2 servings of carrots, 1 of onions/scallions (combined), 2 of zucchini, 2 of bok choy, 2 of tomatoes, 1 of cauliflower, serving (I think) of artichoke hearts.

Fruit: 1.5 a day -- serving of avocado and one of raspberries

Full fat dairy: 2.5 cups a day -- only 1, half a cup of cottage cheese + half a cup of milk

Lean meats & fish: 3-4 oz a day (but averaged over a week) -- 6 oz (mainly because I got home late and so had leftovers that I'd intended to have tomorrow, instead of making a bean-based dish or even an omelet) -- this will get easier when I have some more preplanned meals on hand

Nuts, seeds, and legumes: 2.5 oz a day (this seems high, but the study said 2 oz/day for standard DASH also, which seems inconsistent with the usual servings given) -- still confused about this, but 1 oz of nuts

I'm disorganized right now, but will get in the groove.

Overall:

Cals on the low side (I was a little hungry before dinner, makes sense, but I also ate at 9:30)

37% fat, 28% protein (grams were plenty), 39% carbs -- numbers don't add up, will have to see what's up. Logging at Cron and doing the math. Fiber is 39 g, not bad for no beans.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Hmmm... reading Lemurcat's posts, it seems like I eat like the higher fat DASH. Loosely. Possibly not with the sodium, but I need it since a medication I'm on gives me issues with blood sodium.

I am cutting back on dairy currently, though. I've cut back to 1 1/2 cups a day.
  • zeejane03
    Thanks for sharing lemurcat-I'm also struggling with the grains category, which has surprised me. I thought I ate more of them than I actually do? I'm also torn with what to do with those pesky beans lol. I eat 1-2 servings a day, as a protein source, so that's skewing my 'nuts, seeds and legumes' column.

Since I'm in a short weight loss phase right now I'm going to keep the low fat dairy, but with only 8ish pounds to go, I'll be wrapping it up in the next few weeks and then I plan on switching over to full fat dairy.
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2019
    The serving thing is driving me crazy. Since we did a 10+ veg and fruit challenge, I'm used to counting those servings (although the UK way, which I assume is roughly equivalent), but everything else I have to keep checking what a serving is, and am not 100% sure I'm doing it right with grains.

For eating less meat I tend to eat more beans (especially if eggs basically count as meat), and I like beans more than grains, so I'm going to freely sub beans for grains if I want. I'll do more reading to see if there's really any particular reason to eat so many grains. My suspicion is that it could be like the old food pyramid somewhat where they are cheap, faster to prepare than beans, and telling someone to eat more whole grains vs. refined is seen as an easier change that is also a good one than getting them to eat more veg or even beans. But since I already eat lots of veg and more beans/lentils, I'm not convinced there's a reason for all the grains. (I'd also sub tubers for grains unless there's some reason not to.)

I started re-listening to that podcast and might download a book that talks about the theory more.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Are you
    Thanks for sharing lemurcat-I'm also struggling with the grains category, which has surprised me. I thought I ate more of them than I actually do? I'm also torn with what to do with those pesky beans lol. I eat 1-2 servings a day, as a protein source, so that's skewing my 'nuts, seeds and legumes' column.

Since I'm in a short weight loss phase right now I'm going to keep the low fat dairy, but with only 8ish pounds to go, I'll be wrapping it up in the next few weeks and then I plan on switching over to full fat dairy.

Curious: are you two following the original book or the DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution?
  • zeejane03
    The serving thing is driving me crazy. Since we did a 10+ veg and fruit challenge, I'm used to counting those servings (although the UK way, which I assume is roughly equivalent), but everything else I have to keep checking what a serving is, and am not 100% sure I'm doing it right with grains.

For eating less meat I tend to eat more beans (especially if eggs basically count as meat), and I like beans more than grains, so I'm going to freely sub beans for grains if I want. I'll do more reading to see if there's really any particular reason to eat so many grains. My suspicion is that it could be like the old food pyramid somewhat where they are cheap, faster to prepare than beans, and telling someone to eat more whole grains vs. refined is seen as an easier change that is also a good one than getting them to eat more veg or even beans. But since I already eat lots of veg and more beans/lentils, I'm not convinced there's a reason for all the grains. (I'd also sub tubers for grains unless there's some reason not to.)

I started re-listening to that podcast and might download a book that talks about the theory more.

I should re-listen to it too. I'm also getting impatient for the second one, it should be released soon I think?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I'm at around 1,400 calories right now so I'll be following the DASH recommendations of-

Grains: 5-6 a day
    Vegetables 3-4 a day
    Fruit: 4 a day
    Low fat dairy: 3-4 a day
    Lean meats, poultry and fish: 3oz or less a day.
    Nuts, seeds, and legumes: 3 times a week (since I use beans as a protein source I'll be eating these daily)
    Fats and oils: 1 serving a day
    Sweets/added sugars: 3 servings or less per week
    Sodium: 2,300 mg/day

I'll be following the NIH's serving size recommendations and the outline above, and will not be measuring/tracking besides that. If my daily weigh-ins start getting wonky, then I'll reevaluate and adjust as needed.

My plan is to post here daily with a little checklist of how many servings per category I hit.
    NVM. I answered my own question. The original DASH. 🤓
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited January 2019
    Took a look at Canada's updated food guide today and it lines up nicely with what DASH recommends. Think we're going to see the DASH model being promoted more and more (WHO seems to be going in this directions as well)-
    https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/

Makes sense. It's a pretty good model all in all.

I like this model. In fact the plate idea is the same one my dietitian recommends. I'm going to look into this more.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Took a look at Canada's updated food guide today and it lines up nicely with what DASH recommends. Think we're going to see the DASH model being promoted more and more (WHO seems to be going in this directions as well)-
    https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/

Makes sense. It's a pretty good model all in all.

I like this model. In fact the plate idea is the same one my dietitian recommends. I'm going to look into this more.
    Check out both the original and the DASH diet weight loss solution (and the original South Beach diet on which the weight loss solution book is based).

• GottaBurnEmAll

Yeah, this. I eat grains every day, but not a lot. I do eat a lot of beans and tubers, though. I'm wondering if it's a protein or fiber thing.

Then again, I might not have my head wrapped around these DASH serving sizes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Just re-listened to the podcast. They went through a lot of studies/data, and the bottom line from all of it seems to be that there were better outcomes when there was a focus on micro-nutrients vs macros ratios. A diet high in magnesium, potassium and calcium, along with a reduction in sodium intake had the better markers. Add into that weight loss for those overweight, and there were substantial improvements in heart health markers. Along with this, an emphasis on vegetables and fruit seems to be key, (which again matches the newer '10 a day' recommendations pretty much perfectly).

So, going forward I'm still going to follow their servings/categories outline but I'm not going to worry so much about hitting/not hitting the recommended grains category etc., but instead focus more on the veg/fruit categories and try to make their recommendations minimums.

You might find their weight loss book to be more of your liking then. It's a bit lighter on the grains.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Just listened to the podcast again since it's been a while. The grain recommendations are indeed to hit a fiber goal. DASH calls for 50 grams of fiber a day. I'd much rather hit that with higher protein and beans than with grains.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Just listened to the podcast again since it's been a while. The grain recommendations are indeed to hit a fiber goal. DASH calls for 50 grams of fiber a day. I'd much rather hit that with higher protein and beans than with grains.

50! :lol: I have some work to do before I give this a shot, I was just feeling proud that I'm almost managing to get over the MFP 24g goal most days.

I grew up never being served beans, except an occasional spoonful of Campbell's Baked Beans which I hated, so adding them into my diet is like a mental block. I like them just fine, I just never think to buy/plan/cook them. If I could get that down, I'd be golden.
  • zeejane03
    edited January 2019
    kimny72 wrote: »

50! :lol: I have some work to do before I give this a shot, I was just feeling proud that I'm almost managing to get over the MFP 24g goal most days.

I grew up never being served beans, except an occasional spoonful of Campbell's Baked Beans which I hated, so adding them into my diet is like a mental block. I like them just fine, I just never think to buy/plan/cook them. If I could get that down, I'd be golden.

Beans threw me too initially (I decided to add them when I went 'pescetarian' earlier this month). I started out at 0 servings a day and I'm now up to 1-2 servings a day.

I put a serving of cold beans into my large salads and I don't even notice them, mixed in with everything else. I do this with garbanzo beans too, though I do microwave them for about 25 seconds first, to soften them a bit. I also do warm canned beans with rice, CA blend veggies and then sweet n' sour sauce (a rice bowl). And then something I've started doing that I really enjoy-I mix a large can of baked beans with two regular sized cans of other kinds of beans (baked beans are usually pinto beans, so my current batch also includes kidney and black beans). Mix it all together and freez/refrigerate. Defrosted they warm up in like 35 seconds in the microwave. I add a drizzle of mustard to it and it makes for an easy side.

Also, canned refried beans are good for burritos or nachos :)