What features would you be willing to pay a little extra for?

Options

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I'd be willing to pay to be able to search my recipes, organize my food lists the way I want and rename foods in my lists.

And I wouldn't pay for it, but wouldn't it be nice to have spell check when people are inputting foods? So many spelling errors in the database.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I'd be willing to pay to be able to search my recipes, organize my food lists the way I want and rename foods in my lists.

And I wouldn't pay for it, but wouldn't it be nice to have spell check when people are inputting foods? So many spelling errors in the database.

Oooh, yasss! So much Chicken Beast out there. (Not that spellcheck would catch that one.)
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

Oooh, yasss! So much Chicken Beast out there. (Not that spellcheck would catch that one.)

I found one the other day for lasagna that was spelled with an i. How do you spell lasagna with an i??
  • quiksylver296
    Options

I found one the other day for lasagna that was spelled with an i. How do you spell lasagna with an i??

Iasagna. :laugh:
  • dennisllaugesen1419
    Options
    I would like to be able to do a "quick" deduct. Just like a quick add but it would let me remove calories and nutrients. Helpful if for example you have a burger out and dont eat the bun. Or you skip the desert in a microwave dinner.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It should all be free - all the time.

If something's free, we are usually the actual product. Interestingly, upgrading free services generally doesn't seem to roll back any of the value we 'get to' provide in return.

Pretty much always, with the exception being government and non-profit provided services, and, to some degree, free apps offered to assist you in spending money for a service (say, apps that let you locate a brick-and-mortar store in a given chain and place an in-app order) or to use an online service that you pay for (e.g., Spotify or Netflix on your phone). Any of those probably still use the data gathered for maximizing their revenues, just as a brick-and-mortar store uses general sales info and info linked to reward cards to maximize revenues.

For what it's worth, a lot of software is free because the people who made it feel like that's the right thing to do. Examples are things like Linux, and Apache which almost certainly runs MFP.

In general what you're both saying is true most free things are free because someone made a business decision about the best way to earn money. But that's not always the case.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Caralarma wrote: »
    patrickaa5 wrote: »
    I would pay if MFP could somehow autofix the "lose vs loose" problem. ;)

Hahah I swear I see people getting this wrong all over social media and other platforms... to the point that it's a pleasant surprise when I do actually see it spelled correctly. I guess it's the same as the misused apostrophe problem... just have to accept that people don't get it.

Do you think that people don't get it (know the difference) or that they just don't care enough to proofread/correct mistakes? Could also be a swipe/autocorrect thing, too.

With apostrophes in particular, I don't think most people know all the rules. English is a hard language to learn, we have weird rules and random exceptions.

A lot of people use apostrophes consistently to make word's plural. (See what I did there?) You have to fight your phone to put them in half the time.

A lot of people put them in possessive its. Which seems right, you'd say Forrest's jacket, if you don't know my name you'd think it's owner would be appropriate. But we don't use apostrophes for its, his, and hers. Because things can't be too easy.

For me, it's because I'm typing on my phone, assuming it's getting the words right instead of proofreading while I formulate my thoughts. If you ever see purile, I meant people.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    I pay for the premium because I felt the site is valuable enough to me to support it, but for that price I sure would like them to fix my account so it would start posting my weight losses again. Just stopped a year and a half ago and can't get anyone to respond to me on fixing it.
    And the clean up of the food database would be amazing.

I find this odd... premium users are supposed to get "Priority Customer Support". I only had to contact them once a couple years ago and got a reply within a few hours so was pleased with it. Did you contact them using the web form (see here)?

Concerning your issue. I think you are referring to the updates that get posted into the news feed. If so, on their website go to My Home > Settings > Automatic News Feed Update Settings (under Privacy Settings) and make sure "I have lost weight" is checked.

To the OP, I concur with many of the previous posters, wish there was a way for them to clean up the database!

I contacted them a couple times through the form and they responded once that they understood that it was a problem and they were working on it, but I never heard from them again, and nothing was fixed.
    I have checked the settings and the "I have lost weight box" is checked. I have tried unchecking all the boxes, then waiting a few days and re-checking them all, but it doesn't fix it.
    Maybe I will try contacting them again, it isn't too big of a deal, but it is irritating.
    Thank you!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I may not pay extra money for it but I would like the option to add or remove certain threads from my recent post feed. For instance, I would hide all posts made to the Goal: Maintaining Weight, Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building, Chit-Chat, and Fun and Games threads because those are not my focus. I don't want to lose them forever but hide them until/if I want to see them again.

ETA: Please give us a search option for the recipes we created. Again, I wouldn't pay extra for it but I think both of these things could at least be included in the premium price.
    On the website, you need to Follow the forums you do want to see in your recent posts feed, and then set your feed to Following instead of All.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Hahah I swear I see people getting this wrong all over social media and other platforms... to the point that it's a pleasant surprise when I do actually see it spelled correctly. I guess it's the same as the misused apostrophe problem... just have to accept that people don't get it.

Do you think that people don't get it (know the difference) or that they just don't care enough to proofread/correct mistakes? Could also be a swipe/autocorrect thing, too.

Sadly I think people just dont get it. I mean, people will write "hi mom's" instead of "hi moms". They dont know the difference people plural and possession and it really grills me. I even see professional people doing it. Strange
  • jakobloveless
    jakobloveless Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’d like to see a standardised (worldwide) tracking option for net-carbs, as some items which have been inputted from Uk labels account for them already and some other items need to have the fibre subtracted, which makes it hard to be accurate across a whole day or meal!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I’d like to see a standardised (worldwide) tracking option for net-carbs, as some items which have been inputted from Uk labels account for them already and some other items need to have the fibre subtracted, which makes it hard to be accurate across a whole day or meal!

There's really no way to do that. If I were in the UK and wanted net carbs I'd stick to UK entries (and check them) or create my own (private!) net carb entries from the USDA ones.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Sadly I think people just dont get it. I mean, people will write "hi mom's" instead of "hi moms". They dont know the difference people plural and possession and it really grills me. I even see professional people doing it. Strange

Yes, I saw a page from a professional person yesterday use scarf's instead of scarves :#
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, I saw a page from a professional person yesterday use scarf's instead of scarves :#

That just made me cringe.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    @HeliumIsNoble Thank you for the tip on eliminating unwanted forums!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Faugh!
    I need a Nauseated reaction.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    @HeliumIsNoble Thank you for the tip on eliminating unwanted forums!
    No problem!
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don’t know if this has been discussed yet, but I’d love to be able to peek at another member’s diary from the forums on my phone. I see so many threads where people say “open your diary so we can help,” but unless I’m friends with them, I can’t see the diary. I almost never use mfp on desktop, so it’s annoying.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    I don’t know if this has been discussed yet, but I’d love to be able to peek at another member’s diary from the forums on my phone. I see so many threads where people say “open your diary so we can help,” but unless I’m friends with them, I can’t see the diary. I almost never use mfp on desktop, so it’s annoying.

There is a setting on the FOOD diary that is for "Public" and when that is chosen everyone can see it, regardless if you are connected by a friend feature. There is also a "friends only" or you can limit it to just you or lock it with a password/key.