• ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    lmfao
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    We had one of those, and I'm a child of the 80s. It was used almost every night to make pan fried potatoes.

YESSSS. My mom's fried potatoes are still my favorite food of all time. I can't ever make them exactly like she did! It's been a LONG time!
  • eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    We had one of those, and I'm a child of the 80s. It was used almost every night to make pan fried potatoes.

YESSSS. My mom's fried potatoes are still my favorite food of all time. I can't ever make them exactly like she did! It's been a LONG time!

I finally figured out how to make those things and I almost cried. I bet they'd be even better with bacon grease. Mmmm...
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    besmith11 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Ohhh....so many good little recipes when you type in lard macaroni and cheese.

https://centslessdeals.com/macaroni-cheese-secret-ingredient/

Now I want some. With bacon. Maybe a side of hot dog.

I'm 140 pounds, 5'7".

Is that okay to eat???????

You know what’s awesome? When you sautée the bacon first, and use the rendered fat for the roux for the cheese sauce.

I've done this.... sooo good!!!

I tried it on a whim the night I realized I was out of butter, but already had the other ingredients ready to go with no backup meal plan. I figured it couldn't do any harm, since fat is fat, and OMG it was fantastic.

I admit to using rendered bacon fat for just about anything that calls for butter...much more flavor.

I keep a jar of bacon fat next to the stove at all times. We use it very often.

Here's a li'l ol' lady reminiscence for you young'uns:

Loooong before the "obesity crisis", when I was a child (1950s), it was pretty standard for kitchen cannister sets - y'know, the ones that say "flour" "sugar" "salt" etc., on them, for storing staples - to include a cannister that said "grease". It would normally have a strainer inner lid. The idea was that you'd pour your rendered meat-fat into it through the strainer to strain out the chunky stuff, then you'd have a nice supply of cooking-grease right handy to use in other cooking.

Like I said, standard/common thing.

You can still buy individual jars/cannisters like this.

I have one from my grandma!

Me too! According to my grandmother, fats of all types (lard, butter, shortening, oils, etc) were all rationed in the Great Depression so saving and reusing fat is what became common practice (if it wasn’t already). I don’t know if that’s true or if that’s part of the collection of stories like walking in the snow, uphill both ways to school every day.
  • besmith11
    besmith11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I'm 140 pounds, 5'7".

You know what’s awesome? When you sautée the bacon first, and use the rendered fat for the roux for the cheese sauce.

I tried it on a whim the night I realized I was out of butter, but already had the other ingredients ready to go with no backup meal plan. I figured it couldn't do any harm, since fat is fat, and OMG it was fantastic.

I admit to using rendered bacon fat for just about anything that calls for butter...much more flavor.

Loooong before the "obesity crisis", when I was a child (1950s), it was pretty standard for kitchen cannister sets - y'know, the ones that say "flour" "sugar" "salt" etc., on them, for storing staples - to include a cannister that said "grease". It would normally have a strainer inner lid. The idea was that you'd pour your rendered meat-fat into it through the strainer to strain out the chunky stuff, then you'd have a nice supply of cooking-grease right handy to use in other cooking.

Me too! According to my grandmother, fats of all types (lard, butter, shortening, oils, etc) were all rationed in the Great Depression so saving and reusing fat is what became common practice (if it wasn’t already). I don’t know if that’s true or if that’s part of the collection of stories like walking in the snow, uphill both ways to school every day.

That is quite true. Now the walking uphill, in snow, with bare feet was pushing it since she lived in the flatlands of Nebraska.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

I'm 140 pounds, 5'7".

That is quite true. Now the walking uphill, in snow, with bare feet was pushing it since she lived in the flatlands of Nebraska.

Mine too! And it was my father who fed us that line (although grandma supported his tall tales). They lived across the street from the school house. I think he must have meant the road camber?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Did anyone see this show on PBS? This was a fun experiment to watch and eye-opening. PBS and the real struggles of pioneers reenacted.

https://youtu.be/4m7ovkbu7cw
  • iamauntbeth
    iamauntbeth Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    p32cbiarsx40.jpg
    This is Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Women's children. The girls Alex-22, Paige-20 are in University and the boys Bryce-17 (plays football), Todd-15. They live and work on the family's fourth-generation cattle ranch in Osage County, Oklahoma. They aren't your typical sedentary kids. The more you work the more fuel you need to keep working. Ree has stated many times they don't always eat this way, their diet varies.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Did anyone see this show on PBS? This was a fun experiment to watch and eye-opening. PBS and the real struggles of pioneers reenacted.

<video snipped, for length>

Well, to be fair, the actual pioneers were mostly competent. (Lots died anyway.)

And brave.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

<video snipped, for length>

Well, to be fair, the actual pioneers were mostly competent. (Lots died anyway.)

And brave.

Well one thing's for sure the actual pioneers didn't eat Mac & Cheese ;)
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

My husband and I LOVED this show! We watched a couple of similar BBC shows (Victorian House, etc.) but this is the one that we especially liked. I felt bad for the kids of the wealthy California couple at the end, sitting in their hot tub--they just seemed to be pining for the prairie and the close life they had with their mom and dad.

Also, if I remember correctly they were prevented from hunting, which would have been a huge food resource for the early pioneers. Although if they had a milk cow, they really had nothing to worry about food wise.