MFP Bullying and Negativity needs to stop!

Options

Replies

• HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I hope this thread never dies. <3
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I agree this is a place for support, but also think people need to understand this is the net, not bible camp ;)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Like!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

At the same point, some of us get frustrated when people "ask for advice" when what they really want is someone to tell them the unhealthy things they are doing are ok....

Just saying.

this.
    then they can't take it when they hear the truth.

I've even seen posts that ask for advice then state "if you are going to disagree or be negative don't bother responding".
    Oh, so basically all you want to hear is "advice" that is supporting what you already made your mind up to do in the first place and you just want to feel validated?
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I agree this is a place for support, but also think people need to understand this is the net, not bible camp ;)
    Hahaha... very true ;)
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I am reporting this post... LOL just playing :flowerforyou:

Great post and I too am looking for the "LIKE" button :)

Very well said!!!

Should a I use organic lard?
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    At the same point, some of us get frustrated when people "ask for advice" when what they really want is someone to tell them the unhealthy things they are doing are ok....

Just saying.

I have no problem with people giving 'tough love' - I'm just saying there is a right way and a wrong way to do it... Its easy to spot the wrong way - its when it makes the original poster look stupid.

I'm often wrong but rarely stupid!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Oh - and thank you everyone for reminding me how many great people are on this site!!!
  • bahrainbel_2
    Options
    You're a really lovely guy :-)
  • SeanC86
    SeanC86 Posts: 88
    Options
    Though I do agree to an extent that some people don't take constructive criticism well, that shouldn't give anyone the opportunity to treat someone else like **** because they don't agree with something. I think this is more geared towards those who phrase answers with the intent of insulting someone. Open discussions and debate are fine, but if someone asks for advice, give advice... there's a fine line between being an *kitten* and providing constructive criticism.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    so so true. I wish people would apply this to everyday life as well. We somehow feel better about ourselves if we can make someone else look bad. Shame on us when we do this!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    AMEN. I got seriously trolled a few weeks ago for asking a simple question. Ridiculous.
    I remember how you got called every kind of *kitten* for wearing a bikini...hope you are doing better about it now.
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    +1
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Maya_Angelou_quote_113.jpg
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I have been on here almost a year and it seems to me that it has gotten like this in just the last few months. Maybe I was using the community boards for limited reasons before but really I think that as this site has gotten more popular and known this type of stuff has increased. So good for you for speaking up. I especially agree with your point that there are several purposes for using MFP not just one and some people don't seem to realize this when they reply to threads. We need to let people know what kind of site this is. It is for support not showing off your supposed brillant meaness. However I want to say that the one time I posted a question on the community board I got the sweetest, most helpful, well thought our advice ever. It brought tears to my eyes at the kind of time and care they gave to my question. Mostly MFPers are wonderful. Let's keep it that way. :flowerforyou:
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    You're a really lovely guy :-)

Probably not aimed at me, but I'll take what I can get.

lol...
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Internet forums are serious business.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Nice post and like other posters, I think it is probably a direct result of the increase in the popularity of MFP.

I do think that too many people pay attention to some of these negative threads. I see some of my friends posting to threads that in my opinion were put in the forums specifically to attract lots of attention. I just ignore them at this point.

I spend my time logging and supporting friends. Some threads I find useful but they are in the minority.

I hope at some point MFP put a like and ignore button at the thread and user level so that I have the opportunity to show my appreciation for posts like this and ignore users who I feel (subjective) are not helpful/supportive :o)

Kevin
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be a shame if, because of all the fussing, they closed this site? Look at all of the nice people here. I am so thankful for all of my friends and could not have done it so well without them:flowerforyou: