Gimme the Skinny - August Challenge Team 21 - (closed group)

Replies

• tagrady
    tagrady Posts: 172 Member
    Got a few weigh-ins already! Looking good guys!! I wasn't online yesterday but did do the challenges and the remaining 200 crunches, I can't believe I did 1000!! So proud of what we all accomplished!

I got the cutesy American bulldog puppy last night and have been look loving her! Can't wait till we figure out what a leash is, so she can come on walks with our other dog!
  • kiltbunny
    kiltbunny Posts: 159 Member
    Ugh my abs are aching!! Just finished out a total of 1200 crunches for the week. Wow! Its amazing how much easier they are! I feel my abs underneath that icky belly fat!

About to catch up on yesterday's & Friday's daily challenges. We adopted a dog yesterday so exercise went a little out the window. ;)
  • tagrady
    Morning Skinny's!

got almost everyone's stats so far. I'm still waiting for:

brihare
    Devani34
    kdmallon ( i know you did excercises, but I need your weight :smile: )

Our biggest looser so far...............
    Sharesb 137.4 2.0%

EXTRA SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO OUR AWESOME CRUNCHERS!!!:

heofon
    u2fergus
    kcgslp
    kdmallon
    kristinmkartist
    lmmiller1
    mommaski4
    szczepj
    diamondgirl1995
    tagrady

WE ADDED 100 POINTS TO OUR WEEKLY TOTAL BECAUSE OF THESE 10 AWESOME PEOPLE! Really, really great job!!

I know many of us were at a stand still with our weight this week. I was reading this article, and thought it might help others.

If you've ever tried to lose fat for any sustained period of time - you may have hit a plateau. You have changed nothing, but suddenly the fat no longer disappears. The human body is incredibly adaptive, and will do its level best to maintain equilibrium (homeostasis).

The plateauing effect has to be the biggest motivation-killer there is. Unfortunately many popular diet books are strangely quiet on the issue -- I guess the concept doesn't sell well.

The best single word of advice is to make a change. Don't make the mistake of doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result (Ben Franklin's definition of insanity).

What changes can you make?

1. Zig-Zag Calorie Intake
    Zig-zagging, or calorie cycling is the process of varying daily calorie intake, while maintaining the same weekly intake. Instead of consuming (for example) precisely 1800 calories each day - you can mix it up. Eat 1500 calories one day, and 2100 calories the next. This can be as simple as halving then doubling a portion size, or adding a post-workout shake into the plan. Just keep your body guessing. Further: Zig-zag calculator.

2. Strength Training
    If you are not doing this as part of your program or lifestyle, then it's time to start. Working your muscles will help to strengthen bone tissue, increase lean mass, and ultimately boost metabolic rate.

3. Change Your Exercise Routine
    So you go walking a lot? Then try jogging, or swimming, or cycling -- anything that will change the way your body is working. If you are doing low intensity cardio work, then try some high intensity exercise (such as HIIT). Need help? Check out these exercise ideas.

4. Alter Macro-nutrient Intake
    Although it sounds complicated, once again, the idea is to change what you are eating. If (for example) you are eating a moderate diet that is higher in carbs - try eating less carbs and more protein. There is no need to get super-technical over the whole thing. If you have a carbohydrate snack every day at morning tea time - change it to a protein snack. Whatever you are doing consistently - try mixing it up a bit. However if you want to get technical, use a nutrient calculator.

5. Change Meal Frequency
    If you are eating three square meals a day - start adding snacks in between (which may mean reducing the portion size of the main meals). Eating often is an old and common style of eating - once again, you are trying to boost your metabolic rate.

I know all that - What else is there?
    Some of us seem to have more adaptive bodies than others. I remember when I was eating a fairly rigid diet, having three strength training sessions per week, and as much as seven (often intense) cardio sessions a week. After 3-4 weeks - the fat simply stopped coming off. The frustration was enough to make me take my meal plans (stuck to the fridge), screw them up and throw them away in disgust. I was furious and disappointed. I felt that I was doing everything "right". So what was the answer?

Chill out and back off... I was becoming obsessional. I started eating more, and gradually reduced my cardio levels. I gave my body and mind a break. In the process I have learnt to eat more intuitively. Every person is unique, and we must learn how our individual body responds - and how to work with that.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Go Skinnys!
  • heofon
    heofon Posts: 27 Member
    I love the logo!

I was really busy this week. I didn't post much, but I did all the challenges and of course the crunches on Tuesday. :) Two days after the 1000 crunch session my abs were so sore I could barely move. Now they feel awesome and stronger.

I have to say, this site and you team members make exercising and losing weight fun!
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 203 Member
    Thanks for the article Tracy! You are a GREAT leader.

Daily check-in

Windshield wipers
    21s
    swimmers press

+ 200 crunches + 200jj + 1 extra mile.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Yes, I agree, Tracy... you're a great leader who knows just what it takes to motivate us. :)

Check-in for today:

2 sets of 20 windshield wipers
    3 sets of 21's
    2 sets of 20 swimmer's presses (I didn't read Tracy's note about how many were in a set till I was already done... oops)

For exercise, I tried walking, but I think it's a bit early to start that yet and I didn't get very far. I ended up doing a bunch of yardwork, cleaning, piano, plus the challenges to try and burn some calories. I want the scale to moooooove (down), dang it!!!!!
  • tagrady
    Thanks for the complements guys! I don't feel like a great leader when i'm chasing down weights every sunday from 1/2 our members. I can't force anyone to loose weight and excercise, if they don't want it for themselves. I really appreciate the support I get back from everyone on this board. The level of participation from many of you is above & beyond and want to aplaud your dedication. In the end this should be about motivating and encouraging each other to push through, and sometimes I just feel like a nag...

Yesterday's challenge done!
    Day 1: 2 sets of 20 Windshield Wipers, 3 sets of 21’s, 2 sets of Swimmer’s Press

Today I need to start doubling up my challenges. I'm having Lasik surgery on thursday night, so i'm going to try my best to get everything done, because I'm most likely going to need friday & some of saturday as a rest day (or something easy like elliptical)

My goal for today is....
    Day 2: 2 sets of 20 Tuck Jumps, 50 Squat Kicks, 20 Globe Jumps
    Day 3: 20 Split Squat Jumps, 3 sets of 20 Wood Chops

Wish me luck!
  • u2fergus
    Thanks for the complements guys! I don't feel like a great leader when i'm chasing down weights every sunday from 1/2 our members. I can't force anyone to loose weight and excercise, if they don't want it for themselves. I really appreciate the support I get back from everyone on this board. The level of participation from many of you is above & beyond and want to aplaud your dedication. In the end this should be about motivating and encouraging each other to push through, and sometimes I just feel like a nag...

You're not a nag! We all signed up for this challenge... nobody forced us to do it. We committed to certain obligations in August, including REPORTING IN TO OUR CAPTAIN once a week with our weights and challenge info. Don't feel bad about having to chase them down... THEY should feel bad for making you chase them. :grumble:
  • u2fergus
    Weekly Team Challenge
    4000 team crunches, 4000 Jumping Jacks and 100 extra miles! This equals about 200 per team for
    crunches and jumping jacks for the week along with an extra 5 miles for each team member!

Does this include next Monday/Tuesday as well, or just this week?

I will pledge 1,000 extra crunches and 1,000 jumping jacks. I can't promise any extra miles, but if I find I'm able to walk again properly or ride a bike this week, I'll sign up for some extra miles then.
  • szczepj
    I pledge 500 ab crunches. 500 jumping jacks and 10 extra miles. :) About to be hitting the rec soon anyway!
  • kiltbunny
    I can pledge 10 miles this week. Miles are just not my thing but I can push for that many. That would be an all-time high for me in a week. I'm down for the 1000 crunches again. JJs... I'll do as many as I can.

Check-in for yesterday: 2 miles walked with the new dog Brackis. Hoping to do at least that every night to just give him his exercise.

I didn't do any of the challenges yesterday - had a serious case of the Mondays - so I'll be making those up tonight !
  • tagrady
    Weekly Team Challenge
    4000 team crunches, 4000 Jumping Jacks and 100 extra miles! This equals about 200 per team for
    crunches and jumping jacks for the week along with an extra 5 miles for each team member!

Does this include next Monday/Tuesday as well, or just this week?

I will pledge 1,000 extra crunches and 1,000 jumping jacks. I can't promise any extra miles, but if I find I'm able to walk again properly or ride a bike this week, I'll sign up for some extra miles then.

Yes, this includes next mon and tues :) phew!!!

I'll pledge 1000 crunches again and 5 miles. I will really try for more but this is going to be a hard week for me with LASIK. I won't let you guys down, don't want to bite off more than I can chew either.
  • szczepj
    All challenge exercise done for the day. Plus 2 extra miles.
  • heofon
    heofon Posts: 27 Member
    I'll do 1000 crunches, 1000 jumping jacks, and 20 miles.
  • kiltbunny
    Tuesday Check-In

Walked 2 miles
    150 crunchs
    75 JJs

Monday's challenge - complete plus did another set of 21s
    Tuesday's challenge - complete plus did a set of plank jacks :)
  • u2fergus
    Challenges done for today:

20 globe jumps
    60 squat kicks
    2 sets of 20 tuck jumps

Plus...
    300 crunches (for the weekly challenge)
    200 jumping jacks (for the weekly challenge)
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 203 Member
    Hey Skinnys

Daily check in....

Regular run ( So nice to be able to run outdoors! Had a great run...wish they all felt like that!)
    Challenge workout
    + 50 squat kicks
    + 2 sets of 20 tuck jumps
    + 2 sets of 20 globe jumps

Bonus
    200 Crunches, 200 jjs, + 1 mile.
    I am pledging 1,000 crunches, 1,000 jjs and 10 miles too.

Tracy good luck on your surgery (I'll be praying for you).
    I Will have to double up this week as well.
    Thursday I will be traveling to NY for a wedding. The hotel has a gym but it's gonna be a long weekend of food and beverages.
    I'll be thinking of team Skinny and I'll do my best!!!!

BTW: Tracy I won't have access to a scale until I get home Sunday night so I'll send in weights in the evening. If I can maintain what the scale says right now....all will be good in the world!

night. all
  • u2fergus
    Oops... John posted this using my account and MFP doesn't give you any way to delete message board posts. Boo! :grumble:
  • u2fergus
    Scratch that last post. Heofon typed on the wrong computer!