JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Options

Replies

• namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    1/27 Day 20 Did fairly well at the potluck today although I am certain there were a few things I missed when I tried to log after the fact. Chose to have some leftover meatballs (usually a rarity but there were two other crocks of meatballs there) for supper. The killer for me though was when I got into the snack mix. I finally realized I needed to do something incompatible so did some sewing. Next hurdle will be the quilt retreat this week. Thurs-Sunday.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Starting tomorrow with shakes. I need to do something to mix it up, been up down the same 5# range for months.
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm back.

The DH had a good day yesterday but woke up really sad this morning. So I spent a while just holding him and telling him I love him. I have no experience with death. Like none. I lost all 4 of my grandparents before I was 11. And the closest person that that has ever died between friends and family was an Uncle who lived 6 states away. So I have no idea how to help him through this. I've just been holding him and trying to make him smile and laugh. I just listen when he talks about her and his history with her. I know it will take a while but I know that he will get through this. It's just something that I don't know about.

Okay! So onto goals!

JFT, 1-27-19

1. Log all food
    2. Take a short walk
    3. Finish the laundry
    4. FINISH THE EFFING DISHES!!!!(Yes I'm still having an issue with this!)
    5. Clean off the table
    6. Work on the bathroom
    7. Figure out dinner
    8. DO DISHES AFTER DINNER!!!
    9. Night routine(Shower/teeth/face)
    10. Bed by 10:30

Sister... What you're doing for him is great medicine. You're doing the right things.
    Hugs for both of you.
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Monday weigh-in:

Ultimate Goal weight: 154
    First Goal weight: 159
    Starting weight (this year): 167
    Mon 7th: 167
    Mon 14th: 166
    Mon 28th: 163.25

No idea how I managed to lose that much these two weeks, given what I have eaten. I will put it down to probably losing water weight (post Christmas) and possibly exercise raising my metabolism!

Good to see the scale go down though. I am now back to what I was before Christmas, and not too far from my first goal weight.

For the next few weeks, I have particular reason to try hard because I am running a half marathon in seven weeks. I have never run that far, and I really want to be in top shape for it. The lighter I am, the easier I will find it.

At the moment when I'm running it feels like I'm dragging excess weight around with me (like someone strapped some bags of potatoes round my hips) and it makes it so much harder!

So, I want to be at my first goal weight, or less, by then. And I also want to lose the weight in a healthy way, as well - I need to maintain my muscles and get my body as healthy as possible. So it will be a question of not just how much I eat, but what.
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - Be in the green
    - 3+ bottles water
    - No alcohol QQ

- No eating whilst standing
    - Savour every bite
    - Monitor fullness after each meal
    - Differentiate between hunger, desire and craving
    - Give myself credit!

- 30+ minute lunch break
    - Meditate
    - Leave work at 6.30pm
    - French homework!
    - Call boyfriend
    - Sort out podcasts
    - Gratitude journal
    - Lights off by 11
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968, thank you for the info re rest days. I only wish I was exercising hard enough to need rest days! To be honest what I've done so far are very gentle movements, I'm being very careful. Unfortunately I think I'm just having a bad spell with my back. It's a constant frustration. I have great admiration for all of you who can "push it hard".

JFT 27 January

I will log on mfp DONE
    Doing a Sunday roast, but will keep my aims in mind, and won't over indulge too much! DONE
    I will do some gentle back exercises DONE
    Tidy the bedroom NOPE, didn't go anywhere near it

I think I stayed within daily calories, though I wasn't sure how many calories homemade roast potatoes have :)
    I also did a short walk round the housing scheme in the evening. Might not seem like much but to me it shows my commitment to losing weight as I normally wouldn't do it. I'm at the "will I, won't I, it's cold and dark, yes just get out there" stage. My aim is to get my back strong enough to do longer walks.

JFT 28 January

I will log on mfp and keep within calories. Having lunch with son, don't overdo it!
    I will do back exercises
    I will pay bills and post them (perhaps on another short evening walk)
    I will enjoy time with son before he heads off home :)
    I will find a new electricity supplier, time is running out!

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    @littleblackskirt - "Pushing it hard" is relative. If someone else does what your body needs, it might not benefit them. If you do what someone else's body needs, it might not benefit you.

I try to give my goals a range: at least this much, and up to that much. That way there's room for success and failure; I think both are needed in different ways.
  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    @clicketykeys, you are right of course. Last year I left a job which involved quite a lot of walking and lifting (and no lunch breaks!). I miss the exercise I think.
    I want to sustain the fitness I had but right now feel like I'm going backwards. All I can do is keep trying, even if it's really small steps.
    Would still love to be one of the people pushing it hard though! :)
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    Checking in from Sunday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Log 1 item.
    2. FINISH THE ESSAY. Draft discussion post 4. Duo. FINISH GRADING AND ENTER GRADES. I'm so close. SOOO close.
    3. Put laundry away. Lang8 journal entry. Blog post.
    4. Lunch with in-laws. Walk to 10k. Input discussion grades. Assign new honors groups.
    5. Finish Week 4 lesson plans. Put donations IN CAR so I don't FREAKING FORGET THEM AGAIN. ;D Put tea in car to take to school.
    6. Chop celery. Prep cheese. Portion saag and beef stew. Try out BodyPump at home!
    7. Therapy exercises. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9. Alarm set for 5:50.

JFT Monday
    1. Therapy exercises. Feed cats. Morning meds. Coffee! Log 1 item. Take shoes! Warm car. Update JFT by 7 AM. Take kettle!
    2. Before school: EMAIL LESSON PLANS. Update class websites. Print study guides for Act 1-2. Update WLGs.
    3. Class 1-2: Go over WLGs. Return copies of indefinite pronouns. ANNOUNCEMENT. Correct together. Act 1-2 study guide. HW: Caesar Prediction / indefinite pronouns. PULL B FOR CHEWOUT.
    4. Planning: A - Duo. Grade late work. Have PF eval keyed work, mark scores on sheet, and return to portfolios. Input grades. B - Call parents. Call dr and set up appt. Initial discussion post. C - Print and revise D&D handout. Grade while at lunch duty. D - Two discussion comments. Check on Week 4 project. Blog post.
    5. Class 4: Go over WLGs.
    6. Review assessments. What is my purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Put the rest of the laundry away.
    7. Run. Text B. Call parents (mine). Meet parents (students). Bring charge cords home!
    8. Prep Tue lunch: Saag. Prep cheese. Chop celery. Pack lunch bag. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 9:45, devices off by 10:00, alarm set for 5:50.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    Today: 190.4

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac. Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding.
    2. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Regular: needs practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Honors also needs practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases.
    3. Connect standards to assignments and include them in titles and in gradebook and lessons.
    4. Develop writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts.
    5. Write next blog post. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Barn order: stapler, pencil sharpener
    6. Keep track of medical stuffs. Dentist? Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Sub already set up. Apr 22 McC. Need sub. Call to set up checkups with Dass (October). GET MAGAZINES FOR COLLAGES FROM DOCTORS.
    7. Take recycling to center. Wash car.
    8. Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Can poetry unit be condensed?
    9. Go to used bookstore and look for Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, Harvey Mansfield, or Robert Adams). Check on alternate translations for The Prince.

Cutting it close today! Just assigned groups and reviewed lesson plans and it's almost time to go. WHERE DID MY MORNING GO?!
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    @clicketykeys, you are right of course. Last year I left a job which involved quite a lot of walking and lifting (and no lunch breaks!). I miss the exercise I think.
    I want to sustain the fitness I had but right now feel like I'm going backwards. All I can do is keep trying, even if it's really small steps.
    Would still love to be one of the people pushing it hard though! :)

Maybe you can't sustain the fitness that you HAD, but you can try to sustain what you HAVE... and maybe one day get back to what you had... and who knows, maybe even go even further!

Patience is SO important. <3
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,084 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone sorry for being AWOL, sat on my pad and it disconnected the screen.. had to get ash to prise the back off and reconnect it LOL
    i really need to watch where im sitting

So update from me, Friday i did good, Saturday i did pretty bad. I was definitely over and i didnt walk the dog, i wasjust so tired. Sunday i did okay, not great but it wasnt a complete disaster. I didnt get enough water in but im pretty confident i was atleast under maintainence plus i walked thr dog so thst would of helped

Anyway its a new week, so ill post my Mon-Sun goals later, im a bit busy right now.

I have had a skim read through the posts and theres a few of you i went to reply to directly, but for those who are struggling or their partners or daughters are struggling know im thinking of you and ill get back to you later on.

• Graceandmiracles
    Graceandmiracles Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of accountability.
    1. Drink 4 glasses water(I’m terrible at this so goal is low)
    2. Log all food
    3. NO SUGAR BESIDES ICED COFFEE
    4. 3 vegetables, 1 fruit
    5. Only whole grains and protein, no white stuff
    6. Exercise
    7. Log on here if struggling
    8. Weigh myself for accurate starting point
  • Graceandmiracles
    Graceandmiracles Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What does be in the green mean?
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,027 Member
    Options
    1/26/19 Sat A lot of what I post will be the same tame, every day...
    Weigh: 158.8 lbs :)
    Red cup challenge- but 4 cups will be acceptable for me. That is how poor I am at drinking water. Just 4 cups daily is HUGE for me. :(
    Stay in the Green :(
    Stay focused!!! :(
    Lunch with friends. 1 from out of town that I haven't seen in at least 4 years. Other friend I haven't gotten together with in about a year. Thai Restaurant. Plan: no dessert, no appetizer, 1/2 or less of entree, limited rice. :(
    Dinner at cousin's house. Bday party. They're grilling. We will bring fruit or something lighter for dessert or side dish. Any suggestion besides fruit? Plan: if table, then just 1 hot dog or hamburger without bun. If no table, will have just 1 hot dog if all beef with bun, or if only hamburgers then just 1 hamburger with bun. (Reason I like table is so I can cut it up, I can't do that so well if just standing or sitting & no table or counter. ) only veggie or fruit side & only 1 serving of it. No chips. :(
    Bedtime: midnight -- In the bed at that time. :(

1/27/19 Sun A lot of what I post will be the same tame, every day...
    Weigh: 159.4 lbs :) Not really happy about it, but makes sense that I'm back where I started this year...
    Red cup challenge- but 4 cups will be acceptable for me. That is how poor I am at drinking water. Just 4 cups daily is HUGE for me. :)
    Stay in the Green :(
    Stay focused!!! :(
    Go to Zumba class :)
    Bedtime: midnight -- In the bed at that time. :(

JFT 1/28/19 Mon. A lot of what I post will be the same tame, every day...
    Weigh:
    Red cup challenge- but 4 cups will be acceptable for me. That is how poor I am at drinking water. Just 4 cups daily is HUGE for me.
    Stay in the Green
    Stay focused!!!
    Bedtime: midnight -- In the bed at that time.

Have a great day, y'all!

• Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »

@Elbee - your post struck me. I started this thread 3 years ago!! You would think by now I should be at my goal weight, but I am not. Sometimes I feel like I am such a failure... but the good friends I have made remind me of how far I have come and encourage us all to keep going. I am an emotional eater ... it all started when I lost most of my siblings, and then when our daughter came down with the mental illness. I learned to eat to push back any painful feelings I had. I have come a long ways because of this thread, and because of the great friends I have made. I now consistently exercise, and find that I miss the gym if I don't go. I am slowly learning to drink more water. I learned of new podcasts to watch, books to read, and how to take time to be more grateful for all that I do have. Tips I learn from so many others. And I may have 3 or 4 really great days, and then slip. It is the times I slip that I love this thread ... because we all go through the same struggles - you don't feel alone. So this is a place to not only help us lose weight, but coping with lifes challenges, and learning how to deal with things. No one judges on this thread. And for responding.... yes, there are so many posts somedays it is hard to respond to all or even a few. I work also, so some days, all I have time to do is post my own. So please don't feel it is necessary to respond to all or even some of the posts. It is about you taking charge of your own life, and seeing the things you would like to change. So I hope you keep coming back ... even if it is just to list a few goals for that day.

@mytime6630 Thank you for this post. I'm sorry to hear about your siblings and your daughter.

I have had stress due to family members with family illness. And, currently, lots of stress due to work, my aging parents & pregnant daughter who has had really rough go getting pregnant, couple miscarriages, high risk pregnancy, and very sick. Already been hospitalized, once, during the 1st trimester. She's 14 weeks, right now. (Good news is they're moving from 2 days drive away to 30 minutes away). :) And, of course, financial & work stress. I have been on mfp for a very long time, but I feel as long as I don't give up... I will get to where I want to be.

Thank you for telling me about how this thread has helped you. And, for encouraging me.

I plan to stick with this thread.

Thank you, again.

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,777 Member
    Options
    I feel for those with tough times at present. I just lost my dad on Friday. He slipped away and God took care of him and me, amazing His strength to help me bear it. I pray for all of you in your tough times. Keep trusting and keep taking those small steps. Especially @maryrobinson40 and HEGoddard.

Keep logging and being mindful of what eating.

🙏🙏🙏❤️❤️❤️❤️

I’m so very sorry for your loss.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    3kidsinvt wrote: »
    What does be in the green mean?

When you go over your calorie limit for the day in MFP food diary it turns red. I personally don’t like seeing the red so try to “stay in the green”.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    Markandanna1 - I am far from being a new mom but I’m not so old I don’t remember. What about asking the other moms is they would meet at a walking track or place you could go walking with the babies. Not sure where you are if it’s nice just go for walks outside. If you have a partner can they watch the baby while you go to the gym in the evening? My husband drove truck when my girls were small so I understand the need for alone time. I was waitressing again when mine were 6 months old so that took care of my weight very quickly.

3kidsinvt - just for today limit sugar, come back to day how you did and commit again. That’s how I’ve been losing weight. Great job on the 77 lbs!

Ajb1014 - good luck on the interview!

Faebert - sorry you had a frustrating day. Does the BF ever come to you? Good for you for not being petty, I can be a very petty person easily.

Slittlemeister- Yay for the loss, good job! The 1/2 marathon is going to be helpful to keep you in track for the next few weeks I bet.

Littleblackskirt- I don’t push it hard anymore. The last time I lost weight I pushed myself, 1 hour everyday with no real breaks. I did strength training and lots of cardio. I restricted myself on a lot of foods. I lost 30 lbs in 6 months. I then gained it all back plus another 10 or so for good measure. This time I have lost 25 lbs in about 10 months. I walk mostly, have done a few strength exercises but not much. I eat what I want but try to stay within my calorie goal. My thought process is if I can do it slower maybe I can make it sustainable long term. I do know that I’ll always log and weigh daily it at least keeps me mindful.
  • Snowflake1968
    Options
    JFT - Sunday Jan 27th Determined
    2L of water - 🙂 2.75
    Calories in Green - 🙂
    Walk 1 Mile - 😕
    5 Fruits and Veggies - 1/5
    Only 1 evening Snack - 🤔 2 but there was a reason see below.
    5 something at bathroom break - 🙂
    Write in Journal - 🙂
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices. - 🙂

JFT - Monday Jan 28th Determined
    2L of water
    Calories in Green
    Walk 1 Mile
    5 Fruits and Veggies
    Only 1 evening Snack
    5 something at bathroom break
    Write in Journal
    Do not disappoint myself, be conscious of my choices.

I jokingly said to my daughter when she was bringing me home yesterday that I didn’t need to eat for two days because I had overindulged so much Saturday evening while watching the Grands, she said, “Mom, I don’t think that’s how it works”. The truth is I just wasn’t that hungry. I didn’t eat until supper time last night. I made a burger and homemade fries at hubby’s request. I was drinking water like crazy! About 9 I was feeling like a snack and had my usual minus the grapes. (The grapes I bought are so sour). I went to close out my log for the day and it said I hadn’t eaten enough. I really didn’t feel like having anything but had an apple. Tried again to close it out and it still wouldn’t. I left it as is. So I was in the green by 248 yesterday.

Scale is still up a bit this morning, but I’m sure it’s all the sodium still from Saturday. Today I am going to clean some and then I need to make cards for my girls birthdays.

I miss working, I dong like how my weekdays feel just the same as the weekdays. I am praying I hear something from someone soon.

Have a great day everyone!
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Missed yesterday but back to it!
    1. Drink 4 waters :)
    2. Log food :)
    3. Set out interview outfit :)
    4. Moms for dinner :)
    5. Talk to E re: interviews :)
    6. Bed by 10 :)

Monday am
    1. Up by 6 :)
    2. Smoothie, fish oil, elderberry, water :) / >:)
    3. Shower, teeth, hair, dress, makeup :)
    4. Review interview notes :)
    5. Positive affirmations :)
    6. Leave house by 7, check traffic :)
    7. Interview 7:45 :)
    8. Unemployment office :)

Interview went super well! Manager said she has a few more people to interview but I really stood out and she will decide by next week! It seems like an awesome place to work, they cover 75% of healthcare cost, provide life insurance, company outings, most folks have been there 20+ years. Thats what I'm looking for! Family owned and long term career. Salary is what I make now so that works for me. I genuinely liked the woman who interviewed me and could see working with her regularly. Fingers crossed! I sent my thank you note and got a nice response. Went back and logged my food, gotta get back in that habit but atleast I didnt make excuses. Wasnt planning on working at all today but I came in and now I have a meeting and didnt bring lunch so I think I'll get a power bowl from taco bell.

JFT
    1. Drink 2 more waters before leaving work - another 3 at home
    2. Make sausage spinach potato soup recommended by @cschmitz110515
    3. Power bowl for lunch
    4. Bank to deposit check
    5. Call car loan officer to check on pre approval letter
    6. Call to confirm interview tomorrow night
    7. Head home around 2
    8. Log all food