Cheatin on Intermittent Fasting???

Replies

• kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    How ironic that intermittent fasting is really just about creating a calorie deficit. But book writers have laughed all the way to the bank with the 5:2 diet, the 8 hour diet, the 5 hour diet, the every other day diet, and now the fast 800 diet. smh.

YOu can say that about any other diet just not IF...blood type diet, South beach diet, etc. etc. etc.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    jman16165 wrote: »
    Sorry guys what I meant to say was this was my second Time doing IF. I was told IF trains your body to burn the fat you have instead of other fuel. Basically I'm just letting my body burn fat and that is how I train my body. I thought eating outside my window messed it up.

No, it doesn't.

Why is this your second time doing it? Didn't it work the first time?

I know where you're going with this, but I lost weight in all of the "correct" ways for this forum and I still gained it back eventually. It happens. And there's no need to jump on someone for failing to lose or maintain when they're clearly trying to find their way back.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Sorry guys what I meant to say was this was my second Time doing IF. I was told IF trains your body to burn the fat you have instead of other fuel. Basically I'm just letting my body burn fat and that is how I train my body. I thought eating outside my window messed it up.

No, it doesn't.

I know where you're going with this, but I lost weight in all of the "correct" ways for this forum and I still gained it back eventually. It happens. And there's no need to jump on someone for failing to lose or maintain when they're clearly trying to find their way back.

I wasn't "jumping on" anyone. I was hoping that maybe a lightbulb would go off, if IF wasn't working for him.
  • jman16165
    jman16165 Posts: 14 Member
    The only reason I stopped doing the IF the first time is because I am a yo yo dieter meaning I try everything to lose weight lol. Honestly, Im going back to IF so I can stay committed and I have done that for a week now.
  • jman16165
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    How ironic that intermittent fasting is really just about creating a calorie deficit. But book writers have laughed all the way to the bank with the 5:2 diet, the 8 hour diet, the 5 hour diet, the every other day diet, and now the fast 800 diet. smh.

They've also laughed all the way to the bank with calorie counting diets.

OP, you are doing fine.

Thank you so much. I appreciate this.
  • jman16165

No, it doesn't.

Thank you, I like to try different ways to lose weight as well which is why I mentioned not my first rodeo but I hate messing up on stuff.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member

No, it doesn't.

I wasn't "jumping on" anyone. I was hoping that maybe a lightbulb would go off, if IF wasn't working for him.

I never said IF wasnt working for me. I said that I accidentally ate something OUTSIDE of my window and I came here for help. Meaning I came here for COMMUNITY advice meaning a place where we build each other up, not tear each other down.

If you are on facebook, there are a lot of good IF groups as well to join.

I love IF!
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    kds10 wrote: »

That is what I did...I eased into it, I started with a 13:10 then did an 16:8 now I tend to do more of an 18:6 most days. The thing is though I still feel hungry leading up to my feeding window I just ignore, push thru it, etc. I tell myself that I will not die if I wait to eat and that usually calms my mind.

Same! I eat from 1pm-8/9pm (depending on when I get home to cook dinner) and you bet I tend to feel pretty hungry from about 11am-ish. But like.. eh, I just make sure I'm busy for those hours and it's only a short while really, in the scheme of the whole day.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    AoifeFitzy wrote: »
    As for yo-yo dieting: I think the big culprit there is catastrophic thinking. What one person thinks as "ruining all their good work", another would think of as "oh, I put on a few pounds- but hey, after the last time now I know exactly how to lose them, and I'll work harder on maintenance next time".

Life happens. Unhealthy habits are easy to fall into. It's okay to fall down a bunch and have to get back up again.

Great point.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    AoifeFitzy wrote: »
    But seriously, OP: nobody here is knocking IF! Strategies like that work really well for some of us and I think everyone would agree that if that's the trick that helps you stay at a deficit and eat well in the long run- awesome.

What people are frustrated by isn't you, really. It's the whole magical thinking that people keep selling that gives the idea that a bite of food outside a time window is gonna plonk a pile of pounds on ya. Which is the idea that had you worried and coming here in the first place.

IF isn't magic for losing weight or burning fat. It's a trick- and sometimes a really good one- for getting the few pounds of grey goo in your head to be okay with consuming less calories.

Great answer!