Keto

Options
Good morning,
I'm just getting started on keto and the first 2 weeks I lost 7 lbs but this 3rd week nothing and I even gained a half pound. Any advise on what I'm doing wrong? I'm staying at or under 20 carbs a day. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of water loss in the beginning, this is nothing wrong, this is totally normal.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Good morning,
    I'm just getting started on keto and the first 2 weeks I lost 7 lbs but this 3rd week nothing and I even gained a half pound. Any advise on what I'm doing wrong? I'm staying at or under 20 carbs a day. Thank you in advance.

It's normal no matter what type of eating program you are on. But with keto specifically, eliminating (almost) carbs results in glycogen depletion, which is your primary portion of weight loss the first week or so - and if you are eating in a calorie deficit, some of it will be fat.

After that, the size of your calorie deficit is what determines your rate of fat loss - not carbs. The reason keto works for many is that removing a food group helps you to eat less calories. If you reintroduced carbs at any point, but kept your calories the same, you would gain back your glycogen stores (not fat).

Getting under 20 carbs per day puts you into ketosis. It does not automatically put you into a calorie deficit. So just make sure that if you are doing keto, and your goal is to lose fat, that you are also in a calorie deficit.

Make sense?

[Edit to add] Also remember that no matter what program you use, your fat loss may be close to linear, but your weight will fluctuate. Don't worry about the scale over a week. Look at the 4-8 week trend. Keto or not, your weight has always fluctuated - always has; always will because fluid retention in your body fluctuates (don't try to control that part).
  • Love2laugh55
    Love2laugh55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you soo much. I will watch my calories as well.
  • pamAndrade1
    pamAndrade1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this as I am experiencing the same issue. The first 2 weeks I lost 12 lbs and I weighed myself yesterday and gained a pound. I'm in my third week as well -
  • pamAndrade1
    Options
    Thanks - makes sense but i just want to see the number on the scale drop lol
  • thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean! You'll hear on here all the time how you shouldn't weigh yourself everyday...but I honestly compulsively weigh myself, so I'm just as guilty! but if I gained a half pound I wont assume somethings wrong unless I keep seeing that number for a couple weeks or so.

How long have you guys (wont call it gaining weight) hit this plateau? 12 lbs in two weeks seems pretty extreme, but I've noticed too that after starting a diet the initial shock of fewer calories usually results in some pretty sudden weight loss at first but then kinda slows down as your body gets used to the new intake....

I'm just starting keto for the first time and am only 3 days in, but hopefully my body drops 12 lbs like that too! lol
  • pamAndrade1
    Options
    I had the keto flu during my second week and it was difficult for me to eat. So that could have been another reason for the rapid weigh loss. I have also watched my weight more calorie counting and low fat diet. I wanted to try keto since I have seen and heard a lot of great things. So giving this a try! Good luck with your journey on Keto!
  • pamjoliver56
    pamjoliver56 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've only been on the keto diet for 3 days and I've lost 3 pounds. I don't care if it is water weight or not!!! I could hardly finish my wonderful salad with all sorts of stuff in and full fat dressing, chicken leg and thigh, olives, seeds, cheese, 1/2 avacado and cheese. Its not just eating 20 carbs or less. It is a ratio of units. Go to tasteaholics.com As you look through their site you will see how to do this. It is easy so don't freak out!!! You just put in you height, weight, gender, age and your body fat. It has a box to check that says "I have no idea". Check that and it will show you pictures, and you choose the one that most fits you and that is it. You can add your email and they will email what amounts of fat, protein, and carbs. You can read it on the screen or print it. I wanted it in an email so I could find it again!! Sorry to say that my body fat was 45%. I've been eating 100 carbs per day. I may not stay on this diet forever, but this is good for me because I usually eat everything I want on the keto diet and tons of bread, potatoes, sweets, and sweets, bread, and potatoes!!! Hope this is helpful... Good luck on your journey..
  • rootsphere
    rootsphere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So my wife and I are in Keto - going on 2 weeks this Friday. Have done it many times before. We use the Precision Xtra blood ketones meter. My wife has only lost 1 pound and keeps dropping 6 oz then gaining it back. Her blood ketones were 0.9 this morning and she gained 6 ounces again. I am dropping weight like crazy. Why does she seem to be stuck? She is hardly eating anything except for dinner.
  • rootsphere
    rootsphere Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    She is eating about 1500 calories a day. Staying under 30 net carbs/day. Eats a snack for lunch (usually some cheese and nuts) then a nice dinner of meats and veggies. Usually a Keto snack at night too using Swerve as a sweetener. Nothing else.
  • Love2laugh55
    Love2laugh55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I experienced the same, but remember keto heals from the inside out, weightloss is just a benefit. If you haven't already, start taking your measurements! Weeks I didn't have a loss on the scale, I lost in inches. Just keep at it!

Absent specific medical conditions, keto is just another way to restrict calories. For some people it's a great way to lose weight but there's nothing magical that makes it heal "from the inside out".
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I experienced the same, but remember keto heals from the inside out, weightloss is just a benefit. If you haven't already, start taking your measurements! Weeks I didn't have a loss on the scale, I lost in inches. Just keep at it!

Absent specific medical conditions, keto is just another way to restrict calories. For some people it's a great way to lose weight but there's nothing magical that makes it heal "from the inside out".

I am diabetic not on meds. Since I've started the keto eating my numbers are amazing. So I know its helping that and was hoping to drop 30 lbs. I guess it will take a while to see results.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    As has been said, I'm confident, you're not necessarily doing anything wrong. I've never read a woman on keto say that she did not have monthly hormonal fluctuations. Well, maybe the older women. But keep on truckin' and don't worry about it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I've only been on the keto diet for 3 days and I've lost 3 pounds. I don't care if it is water weight or not!!! I could hardly finish my wonderful salad with all sorts of stuff in and full fat dressing, chicken leg and thigh, olives, seeds, cheese, 1/2 avacado and cheese. Its not just eating 20 carbs or less. It is a ratio of units. Go to tasteaholics.com As you look through their site you will see how to do this. It is easy so don't freak out!!! You just put in you height, weight, gender, age and your body fat. It has a box to check that says "I have no idea". Check that and it will show you pictures, and you choose the one that most fits you and that is it. You can add your email and they will email what amounts of fat, protein, and carbs. You can read it on the screen or print it. I wanted it in an email so I could find it again!! Sorry to say that my body fat was 45%. I've been eating 100 carbs per day. I may not stay on this diet forever, but this is good for me because I usually eat everything I want on the keto diet and tons of bread, potatoes, sweets, and sweets, bread, and potatoes!!! Hope this is helpful... Good luck on your journey..

if you arent an athlete and eating a 100g of carbs a day you arent doing keto. keto is less than 50g net of carbs(minus fiber and sugar alcohols) you dont eat bread,potatoes and sweets on keto. keto is high fat ,low carbs and moderate protein.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Hi and welcome! Good on you for taking the initiative.

Remember that no diet is going to yield linear weight loss; you will experience fits and starts, plateaus and "whooshes" and even then only if you consistently maintain a calorie deficit.

Here are some keto recommendations:

1. Set up your height, weight and goals into the MFP app. and log your food daily to track your intake; If you've never tracked your intake, a food scale is your best friend/necessity.
    2. You can also use the app to plan your day.
    3. Target 50g or less of net carbohydrates (Net = Total - Fiber).
    4. Get enough protein, at least 0.8g per lb. of your lean body weight.
    5. Fill in the remainder of your calorie goal with protein and fat as you like.
    6. Get enough sodium (~3000mg to 5000mg daily).
    7. Track your calories using the MFP app.; make sure that if your appetite drops drastically that you are still eating enough calories (1200 cal/day for females, 1500 cal/day for males) and OTOH that you are not overeating either.
    8. Remember that nutrition still matters, try to get the predominate portion of your intake from delicious whole foods/home cooked meals/quality restaurant meals.
    9. Remember treats help; this shouldn't be drudgery, if it is your doin' it wrong.
    10. The amount of carbohydrates can be increased if you exercise or are especially active without adversely affecting you; remember this when you want to have rice or pasta with your meal.
    11. Consider joining a group and meeting new friends: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum and/or https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    12. Avoid silly supplements (exogenous ketones, MCT, ACV, etc.); they are not necessary and mostly just reduce the weight of your wallet.
    13. Remember that with keto, as with other diets, weight loss isn't linear; you will experience rapid loss at the beginning, more gradual loss thereafter, and likely plateaus and "whooshes".
    14. Check out different keto protocols (SKD, standard keto diet, CKD, cyclical keto diet, etc.)
    15. Read up on the science behind keto diets and how they work in Lyle McDonald, "The Ketogenic Diet".

Best wishes for success!
    -S

you also have to subtract any sugar alcohols in foods too not just fiber.