How do you know how many calories are ACTUALLY in fruit and veg?

Options
Anita4548
Anita4548 Posts: 39 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
What I mean by this is ... for example I wanted to find out how many calories in parsnips. I've never ever had parsnips before so got some from a farmers market no packaging to try. Googled it and the calories differ everywhere. One place says 66cal per 100g. Other says 85. Who do I trust? Also is that for raw parsnips?
Another example is frozen peas. On the back of the packet, it shows nutritional values but doesn't say if it's for 100g frozen or boiled or what?
And a third example that I struggle with often is apples.. there are SO many different "apple" entries on MFP and even if I measure how much my apple weights I have got the option to log 65 to 85 to 150 calories.
I know they only differ by a little bit but I really want to track everything very accurately. What is your opinion?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    look for the USDA verified entry
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    :lol: I see I'm not alone!
  • Anita4548
    Anita4548 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    I can live with entering my apple as a medium or large. But a lot of people prefer to be more accurate, and the best way to be accurate is to weigh, after peeling and/or coring your fruit. You can also create custom entries to use in your diary, if the ones already in the database seem inaccurate. And quite a few are inaccurate and repetitious.

Yes that's exactly what I mean. I don't know which entries to trust on MFP. Especially if one says Apple 100g - 85 cal and another says Apple 100g - 105 calories. I know the green tick means it's not user generated but if there isn't one that has a green tick then you have to pick another one. And as I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose, even a couple of hundred calories can make a difference
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

This^^^