How do you know how many calories are ACTUALLY in fruit and veg?

Options

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    You also need to weigh the veggies if you want to be accurate
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    There is such a wide variety of sweetness to individual pieces of fruit I just assume a certain level of inaccuracy. Let's face it some gala apples are sweeter than other gala apples. My thoughts are the sweeter one has more sugar and therefore more calories. I don't know if that is right, but it makes sense to me.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    ReneeKatz wrote: »
    In veggies? Nearly nothing. You can eat them until you explode. (this excludes white potatoes). Fruits, mostly the same, except certain ones like avocado and banana.

They definitely have an impact on my calories which is why I'm mindful of them and fit them in, just like any other food.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    @ReneeKatz I believe I understand your point. When the differences are 20 or 30 calories either way I agree it's not the end of the world. That's the point I was trying to make by saying individual pieces of fruit or veggies are going to vary by that much anyway. That being said I don't think it's a good idea to go crazy. I try to be sensible and error on the high side. I'd rather guess- keep in mind without equipment to test the calories in everything we track, it is a guess. A well researched and informed guess but still a guess. So I will post 60 calories when it might have only been 30 and I'm ok with that because next time I'll post something as 60 and in reality its 90. As long as the number on the scale is going down
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    AoifeFitzy wrote: »
    Honestly when it comes to fruit and veg I don't worry overly much. Cause most veg, especially, are pretty low in calories-by-weight overall so I don't mind if I'm off by a few cals. I figure, I just really strictly measure the high cal density foods, 'cause those are the ones where an unmeasured spoonful can really throw off your accuracy. Having your daily log be 20 or 30 cals off 'cause of veg estimates isn't going to make much of a difference in the long run, really.

There's some of us who eat a lot of veg/fruit though, and it definitely adds up in calories. Today I'll be over 500 calories just in veg/fruit, out of a 1,400 calorie allotment. That's a pretty significant chunk of my calories for the day. Not saying you have to weight out every spinach leaf, but just be aware that veg/fruit do have calories and it all counts :)

I want to see your diary and understand how you're consuming 500 calories. I don't know, I suppose a lot of decent-sized fruit (bananas, apples, servings of grapes or berries) can easily be over 100 calories... so five of those would do it... on the vegetable side, though, I don't know. Some people have mentioned corn, and I think that's a grain (not a vegetable). Some people have mentioned potatoes, but I suppose that I personally prefer to classify them as a starch like rice than think of them as eating raw carrots and broccoli.

There is technically no such classification as a vegetable if you want to be really precise.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    AoifeFitzy wrote: »
    Honestly when it comes to fruit and veg I don't worry overly much. Cause most veg, especially, are pretty low in calories-by-weight overall so I don't mind if I'm off by a few cals. I figure, I just really strictly measure the high cal density foods, 'cause those are the ones where an unmeasured spoonful can really throw off your accuracy. Having your daily log be 20 or 30 cals off 'cause of veg estimates isn't going to make much of a difference in the long run, really.

There's some of us who eat a lot of veg/fruit though, and it definitely adds up in calories. Today I'll be over 500 calories just in veg/fruit, out of a 1,400 calorie allotment. That's a pretty significant chunk of my calories for the day. Not saying you have to weight out every spinach leaf, but just be aware that veg/fruit do have calories and it all counts :)

I want to see your diary and understand how you're consuming 500 calories. I don't know, I suppose a lot of decent-sized fruit (bananas, apples, servings of grapes or berries) can easily be over 100 calories... so five of those would do it... on the vegetable side, though, I don't know. Some people have mentioned corn, and I think that's a grain (not a vegetable). Some people have mentioned potatoes, but I suppose that I personally prefer to classify them as a starch like rice than think of them as eating raw carrots and broccoli.

Today:

-1 bag of CA blend steamer veggies (I add the whole bag to my rice bowl)
    -afternoon green smoothie: kale, large banana, strawberries
    -large, mixing bowl sized salad with supper: spinach, 1 whole tomato, mini-sweet peppers, broccoli, onion (and mushrooms if you want to count them as a veggie)
    -medium sweet potato with supper. I'm following the DASH protocol and the NIH counts both sweet potatoes and white potatoes in the vegetable category.
    -a serving of crushed pineapple after supper (mixed in with cottage cheese)

Also, I ate a serving of beans today which counts as a serving of vegetables, depending on what guideline you follow (NHS counts them etc).

eta: there's a DASH thread going in the food section and there's a few of us tracking servings of different foods right now. Looking through the past few days since I started tracking (started on the 18th in that thread)- for veg/fruit servings I'm averaging 7-11 servings a day, not counting beans (1-2 servings a day of those as well). So for me they definitely play a significant role in my calorie intake :)

If you count beans I am almost at 1000 calories today and since this is my weekly meatless day it has almost all been fruits and vegetables.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    One reason I weigh low calorie veggies is so I will eat more of them. I probably used to have 5 grams of lettuce on a sandwich; now I shoot for 28 g. I probably used to eat 70 g or less of broccoli; now I shoot for 100 g.

Yes, I log them for that reason. I weigh them because it's easier than guessing, but it also pushed my amounts in a meal up.