I can't believe I overestimated this bad.

Options
2»

Replies

• Finch000
    Finch000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It could be water retention, if you have a refeed day during the night there’s a really good chance your body will flush out the excess water and you will lose some pounds overnight.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Are the weigh-ins both from the same phase of your cycle? That could impact water as well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that your Fitbit underestimates? I know my Watch is under by about 20 percent for me...

Yeah: Could it be this? Maybe it's not you.

My Garmin Vivoactive 3 underestimates my TDEE by something in the 20%-30% range. (I've had and routinely worn the Garmin since August 2018, have done its self-test for VO2max, and have the HR ranges set based on tested max. I haven't checked/set my stride length, because a truly negligible amount of my activity is steps (bad knee).) I'm comparing the Garmin's numbers to experience from a few months under 4 years of MFP logging and weight loss/maintenance.

At 5'4", 173 for you, and pretty active, if you're eating 1550 gross calories, that seems kind of low to me.

If you ate 51,632 calories, and lost 8.6 pounds in 30 days, that adds up to roughly 81,732 calories total (51,632 + (8.6 x 3500) = 81,732). That would imply a TDEE of 2,724 calories . . . which really doesn't seem out of this world crazy to me, for an active woman your size.

At 5'5", 135, my TDEE is somewhere in the mid-2000s, in summer at least; and I'm fairly sedentary outside of intentional exercise, and pretty old. (Your fat and protein gram goals are the same as mine, by the way.)

You know better than I, of course, whether 2,724 is plausible.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Are the weigh-ins both from the same phase of your cycle? That could impact water as well.

I don't have a cycle
  • endermako
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Is it possible that your Fitbit underestimates? I know my Watch is under by about 20 percent for me...

Yeah: Could it be this? Maybe it's not you.

My Garmin Vivoactive 3 underestimates my TDEE by something in the 20%-30% range. (I've had and routinely worn the Garmin since August 2018, have done its self-test for VO2max, and have the HR ranges set based on tested max. I haven't checked/set my stride length, because a truly negligible amount of my activity is steps (bad knee).) I'm comparing the Garmin's numbers to experience from a few months under 4 years of MFP logging and weight loss/maintenance.

At 5'4", 173 for you, and pretty active, if you're eating 1550 gross calories, that seems kind of low to me.

If you ate 51,632 calories, and lost 8.6 pounds in 30 days, that adds up to roughly 81,732 calories total (51,632 + (8.6 x 3500) = 81,732). That would imply a TDEE of 2,724 calories . . . which really doesn't seem out of this world crazy to me, for an active woman your size.

At 5'5", 135, my TDEE is somewhere in the mid-2000s, in summer at least; and I'm fairly sedentary outside of intentional exercise, and pretty old. (Your fat and protein gram goals are the same as mine, by the way.)

You know better than I, of course, whether 2,724 is plausible.

I feel like this sounds about right. My trainer is bumping me up an additional 200 cals in carbs to see if that helps. She may bump me up again in two weeks.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Taking a step back, just for context...

This is very valuable information to have. Yes, your estimates do seem to be off, but it's only been a month. IMO, nothing significant happens in a month.
  • endermako
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Taking a step back, just for context...

This is very valuable information to have. Yes, your estimates do seem to be off, but it's only been a month. IMO, nothing significant happens in a month.

I haven't been in a deficit for a month. I've been doing this for over 1 year.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Has this past month (expected loss: 1.5lbs, actual loss, 8+) been indicative of the entire year?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Has this past month (expected loss: 1.5lbs, actual loss, 8+) been indicative of the entire year?

This is what I was trying to get at earlier. How much were you losing per week last month? And the month before? I feel like we don't have context. We know you were in a deficit for over a year, and we know what you expected to happen this month, but how is this different from your pace last month? And did the 8 lbs come off evenly at @ 2 lbs per week, or was it mostly in one or two readings?
  • paigereillymcguire
    Options
    I lost 10lbs in the first month now I'm at a steady 1lbs per week. It's you're body eliminating unneeded water and glucosamine that was in you're body.