Scott6255 wrote: »
    Happy birthday @marisap2010!

What he said!!!
    And have a great trail race tomorrow!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins as long as one is consistent about how they track the use of shoes, be it with or without walking, good data will be developed to help determine how long they typically last and when to anticipate that it's time to get new ones. The actual, precise number (run miles vs. run+walk miles) isn't that important.

Whether you know that your shoes have 250 miles of running, or 300 miles or running+walking, if you start to feel like they're dead, they're dead.

On the other hand, if you do want to be precise about it, it surely doesn't hurt anything. To make it meaningful, though, you'll have to consider that the impact forces for walking are less than the impact forces of running. I believe that running ground impact forces are about double that of running, so 2 miles walking is might be considered equal to 1 mile running. Then you'd have to make sure to track walking breaks too.

That starts to complicate things and I like easy, so what ever my Garmin tracks, be it just running or running with walking breaks, that's what I track for shoes.

It is worse than you make it sound. Your walking stride, at least most people, IME, is different than your running stride. So my running shoes, for example, wear in the front, but my walking shoes wear out in the heel. :)

Any which way you track it, so long as you are consistent and logical will work, you will just get different numbers for the same meaning. :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes...still a week to go and I'm getting nervous and excited!

@katharmonic I'm probably going to be cast as some kind of heretic for saying this, but I'm more of the opinion that I don't think it's necessary to rotate shoes at all. The foam midsole should decompress pretty quickly after a run (albeit less and less the more you use them), and giving a shoe an extra 24-48 hours of 'rest' isn't going to allow the foam to decompress further. I always go with just a single pair of shoes and so never rotate, although I can imagine that if someone varies their running then they'll probably want road shoes, trail shoes, racing shoes etc.

If anyone is a heretic... it is me, I only own ONE PAIR of street running shoes. and ONE PAIR of trail shoes.

That is it. :smiley:
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Replacing a pair of shoes earlier than I need to is cheaper than a round of physical therapy to deal with the consequences of not replacing a pair of shoes early enough. It also involves less couch time. Money is an object, but staying consistently healthy enough to run is more important.

This. I let Garmin track the mileage, and at around 500 miles I think about pulling a new pair of running shoes out and the old ones become everyday casual shoes. Or my eldest son takes them as everyday casual shoes.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes...still a week to go and I'm getting nervous and excited!

@katharmonic I'm probably going to be cast as some kind of heretic for saying this, but I'm more of the opinion that I don't think it's necessary to rotate shoes at all. The foam midsole should decompress pretty quickly after a run (albeit less and less the more you use them), and giving a shoe an extra 24-48 hours of 'rest' isn't going to allow the foam to decompress further. I always go with just a single pair of shoes and so never rotate, although I can imagine that if someone varies their running then they'll probably want road shoes, trail shoes, racing shoes etc.

If anyone is a heretic... it is me, I only own ONE PAIR of street running shoes. and ONE PAIR of trail shoes.

Yep, I'm almost the same except for the trail shoes...I don't have a need for those. I have a pair for general distance running, a pair for speed work, and a pair reserved for race day.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Yep, I'm almost the same except for the trail shoes...I don't have a need for those. I have a pair for general distance running, a pair for speed work, and a pair reserved for race day.

My trail shoes get more snow time than trail time, but I keep telling myself I will drive out to the park someday and hit the trails.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    2/1: 3

3/60 miles

Started the month with 3 miles around the neighborhood. The weather was so comfortable, so it was really enjoyable.

Tomorrow, I will run my birthday trail race! It is my first trail race, but only a 5K. I have run on the trail a few times before, so I think it will go well.

What a great way to celebrate. Enjoy yourself.