DASH Diet thread

Options

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I want to circle back and thank you for referencing the n=1 podcast. I’ve listened to it multiple times now. I found it really informative even though I’ve been loosely following DASH for several months. I am finding several ways to improve my nutrition after listening. My sister also listened and is tweaking her eating a bit more as a result. She isn’t active on the message boards but may wander over at some point specifically because of this thread to speak for herself about her results in DASH.

After bread has gotten such a bad reputation from the popularity of low carb diets, I wasn’t incorporating it as often as I should for DASH. I am finding the inclusion of whole grains very satisfying.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I love n=1 podcast. I recommend finding nutritionwonk's website, which is useful. I subscribed and followed her on twitter a while back.

I'm super-excited about a dairy-positive diet.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    I was a little worried that I wouldn’t meet my protein needs on DASH but the dairy seems to help quite a bit. I landed around 80 in protein yesterday which isn’t horrible for my stats
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I assumed I was under my protein goal yesterday but when I checked I was at 92.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Wrapping up the month-

- down 6.2lbs for the month, which is in part due to water weight from going back into a short weight loss phase. Also, the focus on more fiber has made things much more 'regular,' so that's probably reflected on the scale. I stuck to my calorie deficit pretty closely overall, which is set for .5lb a week. So 2ish pounds of actual weight loss and around 4lbs of 'other' lol.

Reflecting on the past few weeks:

The upside of DASH for me-an intentional focus on veggies, fruit and whole grains was really nice and lines up with how I'm feeling I want to eat at this point. Reiterating that dairy is good is moderation was also helpful, (I've spent too much time on sites like Furhmans and Gregers, and their mantra of dairy being of the debil :p ). Its also made me realize that beans really are awesome and can be used instead of meat at a meal. I've also expanded a bit on seafood-I bought shrimp for the first time ever today! Already had it in a stirfry and it was great :)

The downside of DASH for me-the NIH's serving size recommendations don't always match nutrition label serving sizes and that drove me nuts! I spent a lot of time checking and re-checking their serving size recommendations and that was by far the most frustrating thing about this whole process. Moving forward I'm going back to 'normal' serving sizes for things like fats, nuts and seeds etc. This will mean I'm not really being 'DASH compliant' but since I'm doing this for fun, I'm not going to worry about the details too much at this point. At some point later on I may decide to get stricter with the plan though.

My takeaway so far is that I believe DASH is a really solid, nutrient dense, way of eating, and can be a realistic and sustainable method-with some tweaks. I'll continue modeling my way of eating using it's principles, but I will be making a few adjustments to make it work a bit easier for me.

I still plan on tracking here most days too, for the time being-I'm really having fun with this!

eta: as a side note/followup to my earlier post-moving my green smoothie to the morning worked really well for me today, I loved being able to check so many servings off between the smoothie and my toast and cheese, so early in the day! It was also nice not feeling like I had to make the smoothie this afternoon and instead enjoyed my cup of coffee :)
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Options
    2/1

Fruit -- 2
    Veg -- 10
    Dairy -- 1,5
    Grains & Beans- 8 (includes a serving of beans)
    Meat (oz) -- 5oz
    Added fat --
    Nuts and seeds --
    Added sugar - yes: teriyaki sauce
    + one alcoholic beverage, not sure where to categorize that lol
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    I did pretty well throughout the day but I would rather have pizza with my grandson tonight than to plan a DASH compliant dinner. I really do like DASH as an eating model. I’ll still be ok on calories when looking at weekly stats since I got lots of excercise this week. I know I could eat something else, but I think I’d rather not 🍕
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit -- 4
    Veg -- 1
    Dairy -- 1.5
    Whole grains - 2
    Meat -- 3 oz
    Added fat -- ? I’m sure the pizza had some unhealthy fats
    Nuts and seeds -- 1
    Added sugar - yes

My fiber landed at 29. Sodium way over by DASH standards.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Didn't log today or eat that well, but:

Using the Oregon spreadsheet with my modifications as explained above:

Fruit -- 3-4 servings: 0
    Veg -- 4+ servings: 5
    Dairy -- 2-3 servings: 2
    Whole grains, beans, etc. -- 3 servings: 1
    Meat -- 3-6 oz: 3oz
    Added fat -- 2 tsp: probably about 6 (2 tbsp)
    Nuts and seeds -- 1-2 servings (28 g/serving): 0 serving

• Syd43
    Syd43 Posts: 1,835 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for a dash group. I have been keeping my sodium count below 1500mg since end of Dec and I feel so much better. I'll read through the posts and would like to check in daily for support and accountability.
  • zeejane03
    Options
    Syd43 wrote: »
    I have been looking for a dash group. I have been keeping my sodium count below 1500mg since end of Dec and I feel so much better. I'll read through the posts and would like to check in daily for support and accountability.

We'd love to have you join in!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Agreed!
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    With a focus on micronutrients today’s breakfast was a cup of Raisin Bran with a cup of skim milk, a cup of orange juice and a cup of strawberries. I’ve avoided “drinking my calories” for so long, but it feels good to add it back in for the potassium. In other news the scale was down .7 this morning. So I am less than 2 lbs from my pre-Christmas weight. So that’s nice.

Question... wouldn’t that be a lot of sugar? I was told by the hospital dietitian and all the reading I’ve done that we should keep our sugar down to 25g per day. That we would get from whole fruit. Wouldn’t the juice and raisin have a lot of sugar in them. I was told to eat the whole orange for fibre and not to drink juices which would have the equivalent of 10 oranges to get that much juice. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • amberellen12
    Options
    I went and enter them in MFP and got:

Orange juice 1 cup 20.8g
    Raisin bran cereal 1 cup 18g

What does the dash diet recommend for your daily sugar intake?
  • zeejane03
    Options
    With a focus on micronutrients today’s breakfast was a cup of Raisin Bran with a cup of skim milk, a cup of orange juice and a cup of strawberries. I’ve avoided “drinking my calories” for so long, but it feels good to add it back in for the potassium. In other news the scale was down .7 this morning. So I am less than 2 lbs from my pre-Christmas weight. So that’s nice.

Question... wouldn’t that be a lot of sugar? I was told by the hospital dietitian and all the reading I’ve done that we should keep our sugar down to 25g per day. That we would get from whole fruit. Wouldn’t the juice and raisin have a lot of sugar in them. I was told to eat the whole orange for fibre and not to drink juices which would have the equivalent of 10 oranges to get that much juice. 🤷🏻‍♀️

DASH allows for juice-if I'm remembering correctly that was actually the main fruit source during the trials (I believe it's mentioned in the first podcast?).

• emmamcgarity
    Options
    It definitely felt weird to drink the juice for the reasons you mentioned. DASH recommends watching added sugar which the sugar in the orange juice is concentrated rather than added. Sugar in fruit is not discouraged on DASH. I ended up opting for the juice after listening to n=1 podcast as a strategy to get more potassium. I find it hard to reach the DASH potassium goals. I believe part of my problem is because it isn’t always reported. But also the potassium goals are high. I don’t actually have high blood pressure, but I am enjoying that on DASH, carbs are not evil. I also have traditionally eaten the whole fruit but I added the juice today to see where my micronutrients land. I did end up eating a fiber bar that has added sugar in it for a snack because the fiber goals on DASH seems really high as well. Raisin Bran was also a strategy to increase fiber. I need to read the box again but I had planned to count it as one of my whole grain servings.
  • amberellen12
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

DASH allows for juice-if I'm remembering correctly that was actually the main fruit source during the trials (I believe it's mentioned in the first podcast?).

That doesn’t make sense to me. With the intake of added sugars in everything so high why would they promote drinking juice that can spike your blood sugar. If that’s so then this isn’t a diet for me. I want to keep my blood sugar down.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

The sugar recommendations are for added sugar only, and that breakfast would have plenty of fiber in it regardless. Worrying about sugar spikes is really only necessary if you are diabetic, and would involve consuming just something sugary with no protein, fat, or fiber to slow down digestion.

I've mostly cut out orange and apple juice because I decided the calories were better used elsewhere, but as long as it's consumed with a meal it should be fine. Having said that, I'm obviously not familiar with your health concerns, so I'm not saying the dietitian was wrong, but it's not universally necessary.
  • zeejane03
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I went and enter them in MFP and got:

Orange juice 1 cup 20.8g
    Raisin bran cereal 1 cup 18g

What does the dash diet recommend for your daily sugar intake?

They differentiate between added sugar and then sugar from fruit (and they include juice and dried fruit in the fruit category). From the NIH site, under the category of what counts for fruit:
    1 medium fruit
    ¼ cup dried fruit
    ½ cup fresh, frozen, or canned fruit
    ½ cup fruit juice
    (Apples, apricots, bananas, dates, grapes, oranges, grapefruit, grapefruit juice, mangoes, melons, peaches, pineapples, raisins, strawberries, tangerines)

And then what they count for the sugar category, which has very limited servings (3 servings a week, which is crazy lol)
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1 Tbsp jelly or jam
    ½ cup sorbet, gelatin dessert
    1 cup lemonade
    (Fruit-flavored gelatin, fruit punch, hard candy, jelly, maple syrup, sorbet and ices, sugar)