Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Do you think the MIM could be modified to make a decent bun for a burger? Any other bread-like recipes?

I made a MiM last night. Instead of using a mug, I used a bowl. Then I put it in the convection oven for a few minutes to crisp the sides a little bit.

I was going to slice it in half to make a sandwich for lunch today, but my wife "accidentally" broke a piece off and ate it. We ended up eating the whole thing as a snack before bed.

I'll try to make one tonight and we'll see if it will last any longer. I was also thinking of making a bagel type (onion & garlic) and eating it with some cream cheese.
    I've made them before in a large coffee mug/bowl and sliced it in half. (The Atkins site also suggests using a square plastic container.) At that point, I usually butter one side and make a grilled cheese sandwich out of it. For that MIM, I omitted the cinnamon and Splenda and used garlic and onion powder instead.
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    Has anyone bought the new Atkins book and is it worth it? My fiance and I are starting this week... and i would really like to learn as much as I can about Atkins diet... i don't want to half *kitten* it.. :)

You might check your library. Mine had practically every edition of Atkins. I've got a checked out copy of New Diet Revolution on my desk right now. That is a really good book imo.

There's nothing wrong with buying the books but since I was just curious about the diet and not following it I decided to go with the cheapest option.

If you are going to go the library also check out Gary Taube's Good Calories Bad Calories. It will open your eyes. Reading it will be like deciding to take the red pill (instead of the blue) from Morpheus in The Matrix. You get to stay in Wonderland and get to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    Has anyone bought the new Atkins book and is it worth it? My fiance and I are starting this week... and i would really like to learn as much as I can about Atkins diet... i don't want to half *kitten* it.. :)

You might check your library. Mine had practically every edition of Atkins. I've got a checked out copy of New Diet Revolution on my desk right now. That is a really good book imo.

There's nothing wrong with buying the books but since I was just curious about the diet and not following it I decided to go with the cheapest option.

If you are going to go the library also check out Gary Taube's Good Calories Bad Calories. It will open your eyes. Reading it will be like deciding to take the red pill (instead of the blue) from Morpheus in The Matrix. You get to stay in Wonderland and get to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Wow, what a coinky dink, the other book I checked out besides New Diet Revolution was Taube's Why We Get Fat which is also a great book (GCBC was checked out). Another great general-purpose but very informative low carb book I'd recommend is Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss by Jonny Bowden.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Reading it will be like deciding to take the red pill (instead of the blue) from Morpheus in The Matrix. You get to stay in Wonderland and get to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Haha... awesome analogy!

I'd also like to suggest watching some of Taube's interviews on youtube.
  • kcrojas630
    kcrojas630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Starting my 2nd week of Atkin's (2nd time around). And I forgot how easy it really is and how satisfied you can feel eating this way! So glad to have found this thread!
  • ToningtheButt
    Options
    Im going low carb for skin purposes... so its a test drive right now
    hope i can control myself.
  • beernutz
    Options
    Im going low carb for skin purposes... so its a test drive right now
    hope i can control myself.
    It looks like there's some research out there which supports your decision:
    http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAD/13261
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Do you think the MIM could be modified to make a decent bun for a burger? Any other bread-like recipes?

I made a MiM last night. Instead of using a mug, I used a bowl. Then I put it in the convection oven for a few minutes to crisp the sides a little bit.

I was going to slice it in half to make a sandwich for lunch today, but my wife "accidentally" broke a piece off and ate it. We ended up eating the whole thing as a snack before bed.

I'll try to make one tonight and we'll see if it will last any longer. I was also thinking of making a bagel type (onion & garlic) and eating it with some cream cheese.
    I've made them before in a large coffee mug/bowl and sliced it in half. (The Atkins site also suggests using a square plastic container.) At that point, I usually butter one side and make a grilled cheese sandwich out of it. For that MIM, I omitted the cinnamon and Splenda and used garlic and onion powder instead.

That's a great idea! I'm going to try that the next time we have burgers on the grill, put a little bacon on top, some cheese, onion, mmmm! So, you do the MIM the same way, and then after, just put it in the oven to toast?
  • martinah4
    Options
    By the way, I know Atkins is the right diet, when I'm sitting here at noon, not hungry even though I last ate at 8:00 am, and the kids are whining at me to make them lunch. *sigh*. I'll be back....
  • beernutz
    Options
    By the way, I know Atkins is the right diet, when I'm sitting here at noon, not hungry even though I last ate at 8:00 am, and the kids are whining at me to make them lunch. *sigh*. I'll be back....

Even better is that one of the reasons your hunger is less on low carb is that it is helping to keep your blood triglycerides and blood glucose levels in check, which it turn lets the hunger-controlling hormone leptin do its thing more effectively as both of those are thought to inhibit or interfere with leptin. So you get better blood sugar and blood fat levels AND less hunger pangs--a win win!
  • KarenB4G
    KarenB4G Posts: 252
    Options
    HI,

I love love love doing Dr. Atkins diet!!!! I am presently on HCG and when I go into Phase 3 this will be the place I'll be for motivation and support!!!!

Just wanted to do a quick HI and BYE and see ya in a few weeks

Karen
  • martinah4
    Options

Even better is that one of the reasons your hunger is less on low carb is that it is helping to keep your blood triglycerides and blood glucose levels in check, which it turn lets the hunger-controlling hormone leptin do its thing more effectively as both of those are thought to inhibit or interfere with leptin. So you get better blood sugar and blood fat levels AND less hunger pangs--a win win!

Thanks for that! I haven't been to the doctor since I started Atkins, and that is just more reassurance!
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

That's a great idea! I'm going to try that the next time we have burgers on the grill, put a little bacon on top, some cheese, onion, mmmm! So, you do the MIM the same way, and then after, just put it in the oven to toast?

Oh yeah, I am totally going to try this! Sounds delicious. I think I am going to try bison burgers.
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    http://www.marthastewart.com/336135/bacon-and-egg-pie

This looks like a nummy quiche recipe.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This is from Linda's low carb website.

It's like a MIM but added some parmesan cheese.
    I've made these and they are really good!

FLAX SANDWICH BUNS
    1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flax meal
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon granular Splenda
    1/2-1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional (I have never added these)
    1 1/2 teaspoons dry minced onion
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 tablespoons water
    1 1/2 tablespoons oil

Put the dry minced onion in a small bowl and add just enough water to moisten; let stand until softened. Mix the dry ingredients; add the onions, eggs, water and oil. Pour the batter into 6 greased muffin top pans. Bake at 325º 15-20 minutes. To serve, split the buns horizontally to make two halves using a long, thin knife.

Makes 6 servings
    Can be frozen

Per Serving: 140 Calories; 11g Fat; 8g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3.5g Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs
  • martinah4
    Options
    This is from Linda's low carb website.

It's like a MIM but added some parmesan cheese.
    I've made these and they are really good!

FLAX SANDWICH BUNS
    1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flax meal
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoon granular Splenda
    1/2-1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional (I have never added these)
    1 1/2 teaspoons dry minced onion
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 tablespoons water
    1 1/2 tablespoons oil

Put the dry minced onion in a small bowl and add just enough water to moisten; let stand until softened. Mix the dry ingredients; add the onions, eggs, water and oil. Pour the batter into 6 greased muffin top pans. Bake at 325º 15-20 minutes. To serve, split the buns horizontally to make two halves using a long, thin knife.

Makes 6 servings
    Can be frozen

Per Serving: 140 Calories; 11g Fat; 8g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3.5g Dietary Fiber; 1.5g Net Carbs

I'm definately going to try this! Thank you!
  • snikrepa2003
    Options
    Okay you guys I REALLY ground the flaxseeds tonight for the MIM and I must say it was the bomb!!! I made a chocolate and a savory one and they were super awesome. They will be amazing when school starts tomorrow and I will be able to mix and go. Thank you guys soo soo much without y'all I would have given up a while ago!
  • anewrac
    anewrac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I've been really interested in the posts in this thread.

I managed to lose 40kg by Christmas 2010 (took just over 2 years though) on WeightWatchers, but have managed to put 20 of them back on, so last week, I finally got my head into gear and joined MFP and have been successfully logging and tracking. Been down with the flu though, so I haven't exercised like I would have liked.

Anyway, I've always thought about Atkins, but chickened out because I thought I would miss my carbs too much, but this week I've been limiting them to keep my cals low and am now seriously thinking about following Atkins, so I'm trying to get all the info that I need together. The science behind it really makes sense to me.

If you have any tips that have helped you, could you let me know please ;)

Thanks

Rachel x
  • beernutz
    Options
    Hi guys,

I managed to lose 40kg by Christmas 2010 (took just over 2 years though) on WeightWatchers, but have managed to put 20 of them back on, so last week, I finally got my head into gear and joined MFP and have been successfully logging and tracking. Been down with the flu though, so I haven't exercised like I would have liked.

Anyway, I've always thought about Atkins, but chickened out because I thought I would miss my carbs too much, but this week I've been limiting them to keep my cals low and am now seriously thinking about following Atkins, so I'm trying to get all the info that I need together. The science behind it really makes sense to me.

Thanks

Rachel x
    My tip would be to actually get one of the later Atkins books and actually follow the guidelines in it. Just go to the library and borrow New Diet Revolution if you have to.

Too many people try 'Atkins' without understanding the principles involved or how it is supposed to work. Although calorie counting isn't as important when low carb dieting as hunger pangs tend to be better under control, you still can't eat unlimited calories and expect to lose weight. What is more important than counting calories in my opinion is keeping the proper macro nutrient percentages. I think induction works out to 5% or less calories from carbs, 60% or more from fat, and the rest from protein. After going through the acclimation period you can adjust the carb % upward if you want as long as you do it by eating more of the "good" carbs and continue to avoid refined sugar and starch.

This is all my opinion for what its worth. I follow something pretty close to Atkins but I don't call it Atkins because I do consume alcohol which Atkins recommends abstaining from, so it would be a disservice to say I do Atkins. I have read Atkin's New Diet Revolution and agree with the vast majority of it.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks

Rachel x
    My tip would be to actually get one of the later Atkins books and actually follow the guidelines in it. Just go to the library and borrow New Diet Revolution if you have to.

Too many people try 'Atkins' without understanding the principles involved or how it is supposed to work. Although calorie counting isn't as important when low carb dieting as hunger pangs tend to be better under control, you still can't eat unlimited calories and expect to lose weight. What is more important than counting calories in my opinion is keeping the proper macro nutrient percentages. I think induction works out to 5% or less calories from carbs, 60% or more from fat, and the rest from protein. After going through the acclimation period you can adjust the carb % upward if you want as long as you do it by eating more of the "good" carbs and continue to avoid refined sugar and starch.

This is all my opinion for what its worth. I follow something pretty close to Atkins but I don't call it Atkins because I do consume alcohol which Atkins recommends abstaining from, so it would be a disservice to say I do Atkins. I have read Atkin's New Diet Revolution and agree with the vast majority of it.

Agree. Get ahold of one of the books so you can understand the why of it. Then, try to follow it strictly. I had to go cold-turkey on my bad carbs, but it's worth it! This is a lifestyle change, not a quick, cure-all for weight loss. I only own "Atkins Essentials", which is the plan, with a little science in laymans' terms for artsy-fartsy minded me! I do long-term Induction until I get closer to my goal weight, then I'll start working the Phases. Good luck!