Parents I need your advice

Options
thepainmaker88
thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
Ok so against all odds we somehow got pregnant and now my wives due date is coming up fast! Im gonna be a stay at home dad and would appreciate ANY advice for soon to be parents....

Our nursery is set up and ready, complete with a crib, nursing chair, and changing station. We have some newborn clothes, bottles, diapers, a stroller, nookies etc... didn’t wanna go to work overboard as we’re hoping we get some of the other essentials at the baby shower this weekend.

We are members of forums for soon to be parents and we are constantly reading up on the subject. He (ohh ya it’s a boy) is due April 17th but is measuring out to be two weeks ahead (don’t know if that means there’s a good chance he’ll be two weeks early or not) but lots of moms on there are going into labor around the 30 week mark and so I wanna be ready Incase he decides to come a little early.

Thanks in advance guys!

BTW here he is:

31v285kaxe0e.jpeg

Replies

• The_Devil_In_Miss_Jones_
    Options
    Congrats, how exciting ❤ Enjoy every moment, they grow up so fast. Also, make sure to take some time for yourselves too, that's very important. :)
  • thepainmaker88
    thepainmaker88 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks puffbrat that’s good advice...I didn’t know the changing pad needed a cover... does the poop really get all over the table like that?😫

Ok I often wonder about feeding. Since I will be the primary one feeding him is it rational to think if she pumps enough will she be able to get enough milk to last me while she is at work? I really don’t want to give him formula but I’ve never heard of someone pumping all the milk their child gets (most usually nurse quite a bit)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Things will be hectic at first but remember to slow down, breathe, and relax. Your little one feeds off of your energy level so keep calm and don't stress out every time they cry. That's the only way babies can communicate.

Your wife may need to pump at work and keep bottles in a fridge or cooler and bring them home. Going all day without pumping is not only uncomfortable but will reduce her supply. I'm sure she's already considering all of that.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. In the instruction manual, on page 2, ...

To be continued.
  • Taz6o5
    Taz6o5 Posts: 3,441 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being a dad .
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    get ready to be more tired than u have ever been in your whole *kitten* life

What she said — you may want to just start setting you alarm at random hours to start getting used to it - or just sleep as much as you can while you can - truth is nothing is gonna prepare you man - just enjoy it like others have said above - time flies - kids will learning to drive before you know it
  • MaryLeuelu
    MaryLeuelu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you and your wife. It's the start to a very happy, worrying, and exciting journey.
    I have always found that parents buy way too many clothes because they grow so fast,and you will always get hand me downs from the family Etc .And for goodness sake don't creep around the house saying "Don't wake the baby", they can sleep through hurricanes lol. When your young man goes for a afternoon nap look after yourself and nap as well. I truly wish you well, and I miss the time when mine where young, you have so much to look forward too.
    Mary
    Mother of 12, Nana of 32,Great Nana of 10
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Congrats! My best advice is for your wife. In her last week of maternity leave she should leave the house for an increasing number of hours so that by whatever day is the last day of her work week she'll be out of the house for the equivalent of a full work day. If she works Monday - Friday, do Mon - 2 hrs, Tues - 4 hrs, Wed - 6 hrs, etc. I know she'll want to spend as much time with baby as she can, but this will be so much easier on her emotionally that trying to do a full day away, at her job, while trying to manage those emotions. The hard, first step away will be done and she'll have a clearer mind.

Best of luck!
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks puffbrat that’s good advice...I didn’t know the changing pad needed a cover... does the poop really get all over the table like that?😫

Ok I often wonder about feeding. Since I will be the primary one feeding him is it rational to think if she pumps enough will she be able to get enough milk to last me while she is at work? I really don’t want to give him formula but I’ve never heard of someone pumping all the milk their child gets (most usually nurse quite a bit)

It is entirely possible she is able to pump enough milk. It is also possible she doesn't respond well to the pump and doesn't get enough milk out. Every woman reacts differently. For her, it is important to drink plenty of water to aid in milk production.

I recommend a bottle warmer if she is going the pump route since you are not supposed to microwave breast milk (or formula). Insurance often covers the cost of a breast pump, so if you have not already looked into that I suggest doing so.

The hardest part for me was the lack of sleep. Babies wake up every couple of hours during the night and the interrupted sleep was hard. Congrats! And take lots of pictures of your baby mama with the baby. She will want them.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Congrats! I don't have much to add to what's been said. Newborns don't need as much as many think, they are pretty basic. I always ended up buying/receiving way too many toys and clothes for each stage. So much that a lot of it went to waste. If family members insist on constantly buying stuff for your kids try and talk them into putting the money into a college fund instead.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT
    LeGaCyGiAnT Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    -There is no such thing as a kid's playroom... toys will end up everywhere/anywhere in your house.
    -You sleep when they sleep, don't argue.
    -They are a LOT of fun, I sincerely mean that.

Honestly, just wing it. Every kid is different. Enjoy it all, the good and the bad. The time really does fly by when you have them. Just get the basics.. diapers, wipes, desitin cream, breast pump if your wife is breastfeeding, storage bags, bottles.
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

I didn't produce much milk when my son was born, but I was able to pump enough on maternity leave to stock the freezer, and then pumped twice a day at work.

During nighttime feedings I used to nurse my son on one breast while simultaneously pumping from the other side.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I vaguely remember December 2004 being the last time I napped, or had a shower without crying for joy at being alone for 5 minutes.

Good luck.