What Are Some Foods You Refuse to Eat Non/reduced Fat

12346»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Also most low fat or fat free dairy also just has fat skimmed off (or is made from skim milk, which has fat skimmed off).
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    edited February 2019
    I do a lot of low fat, I don't notice a difference and it allows me more calories for things I really like or to have a larger serving if it fits. I don't do fat free except sometimes greek yogurt and I drink skim milk (I'll do 1% or 2%, but can't do whole).
    I almost always do full fat cheese. Only exception is cream cheese and sometimes shredded.
    Always full fat peanut butter and chocolate.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    solieco1 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Cheese, milk, half-n-half (yes, they do make fat-free half-n-half), mayo, and butter. I just use less.

I always wonder "WTH is the other half?"

I've seen it in the store but I've never actually bothered looking to see what they replaced the fat with...

Corn syrup.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I personally prefer full fat varieties of almost everything. I hate to call milk full fat, I just prefer it whole. Not with parts removed, seems like a better name than "full fat", lol.

So as far as milk and plain dairy, they do have more carbs and slightly more sugar. When you remove the fat, volume for volume, there is more of the "non-fat" parts of milk that fits in to the same volume, so a cup of skim milk has more water/lactose/other stuff, because the fat has been removed and left slightly more room. This is not a huge difference, but it is why you see higher carbs on skim milk than whole. When this is made into yogurt, this means the yogurt does have slightly more sugar, especially depending on the culture time. I think it's fairly negligible though.

Anyway, all that is probably not enough to make a difference anyway. It's just a weird thing I thought of.

Potassium chloride in Dasani? That's used in lethal injections! Oh wait, it's also a sodium free salt substitute and a medication....

It just depends on your goals. If you are shooting for a low fat diet with not much concern for carbs, by all means use low fat - it helps you reach your goals. I'm trying to keep a moderate, balanced carb level and get a lot of protein, I find higher fat things fit my macros better, and they keep me feeling satisfied.

Also, fat has a better mouthfeel. Think tuna packed in water vs tuna packed in oil. It isn't just a flavor that is better, the texture and eating experience improve, at least, for me.
  • AmandaEdwards1
    AmandaEdwards1 Posts: 46 Member
    Coffee creamer.
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2019
    Best way to have low fat coffee is to have it black. But then I don't get the need to add stuff to coffee.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    No liver for me - not chicken, turkey, beef, cow, veal, lamb, sheep, springbok, eland, kudu, elephant, crocodile, ostrich, pig - just get away from me! But I love cod liver.
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2019
    So as far as milk and plain dairy, they do have more carbs and slightly more sugar. When you remove the fat, volume for volume, there is more of the "non-fat" parts of milk that fits in to the same volume, so a cup of skim milk has more water/lactose/other stuff, because the fat has been removed and left slightly more room. This is not a huge difference, but it is why you see higher carbs on skim milk than whole. When this is made into yogurt, this means the yogurt does have slightly more sugar, especially depending on the culture time. I think it's fairly negligible though.

This is sometimes true, it depends on the brand. The problem is that people claim sugar is added to skim or low fat dairy and that's a lie -- the sugar is inherent and when higher (protein is also higher) it's because there's more sugar per volume as you noted. And it's a small difference.
    It just depends on your goals. If you are shooting for a low fat diet with not much concern for carbs, by all means use low fat - it helps you reach your goals. I'm trying to keep a moderate, balanced carb level and get a lot of protein, I find higher fat things fit my macros better, and they keep me feeling satisfied.

I'll note that many people find lowfat dairy equally tasty or even prefer it -- I grew up with 2% and generally prefer that (I don't actually drink milk at all, but I like 1% or 2% cottage cheese or yogurt/greek yogurt). I'm currently experimenting with full fat, but mostly it has no benefits for me.

I'll note that it typically does not have meaningfully more carbs and does have more protein per calorie, so one benefit is that it becomes a better protein source, especially if you want non meat protein sources and aren't into egg whites (I only eat whole eggs, I like low fat dairy).
    Also, fat has a better mouthfeel. Think tuna packed in water vs tuna packed in oil. It isn't just a flavor that is better, the texture and eating experience improve, at least, for me.

I hate all canned tuna (I like tuna steak, which is generally lower fat than tuna packed in oil, I expect), but I prefer sardines packed in water. I'd far rather add my own fat.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Fat free cream cheese. Read the ingredient list. Chemicals are not food. Any foods with sawdust (cellulose) or sand or glass (silica) added.

Why do things need to compared to inedible substances for shock value? Cellulose is in plants and silica is found naturally in things like oats and green beans. Have we all been eating sawdust and glass? Anything can be made into a silly comparison, for example, I can guarantee you've been eating galvanization agents.

Right... this thinking always humors me.

The ammonium sulfate in baked goods? Also used as a fertilizer. The calcium sulfate used to firm up cheese? Also used to make plaster of Paris.

Oh, and almonds have arsenic. Science is fun. 😉

fzkcs7y21ibs.png
    "Omg, someone breathed in my cottage cheese"...science
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    I will always choose butter (not margarine) and full-fat cheese or ice cream over “low fat” varieties. Part-skim mozzarella isn’t my preference, but it’s tolerable.

I prefer partially-skimmed milk to whole, and generally prefer leaner cuts of meat. I don’t mind fat-free Greek yogurt; I don’t eat it by itself, anyway.

I don’t care for mayonnaise or sour cream in general, so I have no opinion on those.
  • arcadiasailor
    arcadiasailor Posts: 6 Member
    mozzarella is just not as moist when not made with whole milk. Part skim is like a rubber brick. Ok for snacking but you’re trying to cook you use regular. And I think that the Italian in me and the little kid who loves to destroy a block gradeing it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    I don't deny my anything regardless of macros or calories. I only make it fit.

I can't stand peanut butter though. The smell is just :s for me. I put a pile of peanuts in my mortar yesterday to make my own peanut sauce as that doesn't have this yucky smell.
  • roachrypt
    roachrypt Posts: 34 Member
    I have to agree with some of the posters here - I can't really get into alternative mayos. I either need real mayo or none at all. I can't do substitutes.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Just to add. There are many things that I think work best for me in the middle. For example with butter I will eat the 'lighter' version (30% less fat) but not the 'lightest' (50% less fat). There's a certain point where it's just cut too low.
  • imacurlygirl
    imacurlygirl Posts: 9 Member
    I hate low fat or light mayonnaise! Only the real thing for me!