February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    garygse wrote: »
    A guy's recount of his first marathon, and the hard lessons learned:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/8btnzd/first_marathon_lessons_learned_painfully/

I especially loved the ending:
    "She finished looking like she had stopped for a quick game of rugby and a boxing match. Respect."

This poor guy! Possibly my favorite thing is grabbing a quick breakfast at McD's when he never does that. He seems to have escaped any consequences, but this is not a good plan!

I read an article recently about an elite marathon trainer running his first marathon at the age of 50 something, he came into training from being a middle distance runner and had just never done it, even though he had trained people at the highest level. So you would think he knew how to prepare. And HE bonked at the 20 mile mark.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited February 2019
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Now as for this s morning, it's our national holiday here today, think 4th July with out the fireworks (well literal ones, we get a lot of political ones. A few years ago a politician had a *kitten* thrown at him in protest. Because he was being a dick. Get it?). So day off work midweek! Yay!

sometimes I just don't get MFP and its dislike of certain cuss words. Whatever was thrown at the politician becomes a kitten (poor kitty) but you can call him a dick?

Or is it just the contrast with British English - I mean we wouldn't really use the word fanny (because it references the 'front-bottom') but fanny-packs are sold in department stores across the US.

Oh for petes sake, I hadn't even noticed. The "kitten" was an dick shaped object beginning with d that is used during sex. Can I say sex?

And who says D i l d o as a cuss word? And for that, in weird language things. We dont use the word cuss here, it's a swear word.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Now as for this s morning, it's our national holiday here today, think 4th July with out the fireworks (well literal ones, we get a lot of political ones. A few years ago a politician had a *kitten* thrown at him in protest. Because he was being a dick. Get it?). So day off work midweek! Yay!

sometimes I just don't get MFP and its dislike of certain cuss words. Whatever was thrown at the politician becomes a kitten (poor kitty) but you can call him a dick?

Or is it just the contrast with British English - I mean we wouldn't really use the word fanny (because it references the 'front-bottom') but fanny-packs are sold in department stores across the US.

And fanny here means back bottom. Parents tell their little kids that the fanny is gonna get spanked... well, least where spanking still happens. Although, unfortunately I’ve heard parents say some horrible thing to their kids in public, nothing any one should ever say to another being.

We always giggled at "the nanny" when in the intro song "she was out on her fanny" because fanny to us is vagina. And its also an old English name
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,423 Member
    @simcon1 - I forgot to mention to you a while back that there are a lot of really fun races in and around Seattle.
    Some that I am aware of or have run are the Beat the Blerch HM in Carnation, The My Better Half Marathon around Valentine's Day, the Oiselle Tenacious Ten and Top Pot Doughnut Dash 5K, the Seattle Run series (5 and 10Ks) that are at Seward Park and there are also 5 and 10Ks around Green Lake but I don't remember what they are called. There was just a Tunnel to Viaduct 8K last weekend. Just so many races and running groups there!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,022 Member
    edited February 2019
    garygse wrote: »
    A guy's recount of his first marathon, and the hard lessons learned:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/8btnzd/first_marathon_lessons_learned_painfully/

I especially loved the ending:
    "She finished looking like she had stopped for a quick game of rugby and a boxing match. Respect."

That was great! Having not done a marathon, nothing in that entire story made me want to try it. And then he sums up with thinking about the next one and having "caught the bug". Crazy guy!!

Yes, this is totally a thing. I can't explain it, and I've done it. I think many of us have.