February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

This morning’s run was speedwork. I went back to my ON Cloud shoes, because the Inov-8’s I wore on Sunday made my calves hurt, my hamstrings hurt, and flared warning signs of PF. Speedwork is now based on feel, because my TomTom seems to have only vague ideas about pace and throws random figures at me. So the second thing I have learnt recently is:
    • I need new running shoes
    • I need new trail running shoes for multi-day hikes
    • I need a new sports watch.

I am not sure of all of the above are possible in February

@girlinahat A friend of mine got a TomTom running watch a few years ago, and out of the box she had to keep sending it back for repairs for 3-4 months before she could use it. Really unfortunate :( If you are looking for a new sports watch but want to save a bit of money, I can personally recommend refurbished Garmin products. I have a refurbished Forerunner 235 from them that is going strong 2 years in. Battery lasts about a week (8+ hours of GPS use, plus daily wear with HR and step count detail) and it was $50-100 cheaper than new.

I have a TomTom Spark 3 and I love it. The GPS is super accurate and I can upload music on it. The battery lasts for over a marathon distance run. I have owned it for 2 years without problems. I know most runners are crazy brand loyal to Garmin but they are a bit too pricey for me. I would rather spend the money on a fun race. :)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Group question: On Sunday, I had a conversation with a personal trainer and member of the group I run with. I was complaining about recently regaining some weight and having to cut stupid calories again. I REALLY struggle with not eating all the things.

I mentioned how I could happily exercise all day long. Running is the easy part. She disagrees with me. She said for most of her clients, exercise is the hard part and dieting is much easier (although still hard). Thoughts? Am I the only crazy one who who finds dieting SO MUCH HARDER?
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless- I tend to agree with you, but I also understand where this comes from. I enjoy exercise, especially running. It is a vital part of my mental well being. A life without exercise is like a life without food, so I definitely find exercise as the easy part. However, because I enjoy it, I rarely think of exercise as a means of weight loss and really don't even pay attention to my calorie burns anymore. The problem is, exercise makes you hungry. When I am in maintenance, I usually eat until I feel satisfied and it has a way of balancing itself out. But I am also trying to shed a few pounds for the first time in years and it's really hard to eat at a deficit.
    November and December were tough for me this year because it's the first time in years that I decided to take a little hiatus from running during the holiday season. I ate more than I should have and I am definitely paying the price!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    speed demon got a new harness. and extra reflective bits on it so bonus. hopefully, it won't rub. i think, it was the mix of sand and mud that got under it. this doesn't sit under her arms.
    i was going to test it out this morning but the ice made it unsafe and tonight like @7lenny7 we are going to get hit early evening with another storm
  • hoshaugh73
    hoshaugh73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

February miles:
    01 - 1.25
    02 - 3.5 trail run!
    03 - 1.5
    04 - 1.5

February Total: 7.75 mile
    February Goal: 75 miles

Rhody Run 12k (5/19)
    Scramble XXIV - 6-Mile Scramble (6/30)