February 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,403 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless - once I discovered running and strength training it was much easier to do those than dieting. However by then I had already made changes to my lifestyle with things like cutting out all sodas (diet or otherwise) and measuring portion sizes but I no longer went on 'diets' I had had way too many failures in my past with those already. I do think the key was as others have said to find something that you like to do. I have friends on MFP and IRL who hate to exercise, hate to sweat and would never go out of their way to do something like running because it is fun. To them it is a chore and I don't think they will ever stick with it, no matter how much healthier (and possibly happier) it would make them.
    @HonuNui - that party looks awesome! How did everyone enjoy the boring game or did they not notice because they were just enjoying the great company and food?

I am still just walking with maybe just a tiny bit of running mixed in here and there.
    Date........Miles.......Total
    02/01......1.91.......1.91 - + Cycling
    02/02......0.00.......1.91
    02/03......0.00.......1.91 - + Cycling
    02/04......2.25.......4.16 - + Cycling
    02/05......1.57.......5.73 - + Strength Training

My completed and/or upcoming races. Let me know if you will be running them too.
    02/03/19 - Surf City Half Marathon (iffy) Deferred to 2020
    05/11/19 - Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Now as for this s morning, it's our national holiday here today, think 4th July with out the fireworks (well literal ones, we get a lot of political ones. A few years ago a politician had a *kitten* thrown at him in protest. Because he was being a dick. Get it?). So day off work midweek! Yay!

sometimes I just don't get MFP and its dislike of certain cuss words. Whatever was thrown at the politician becomes a kitten (poor kitty) but you can call him a dick?

Or is it just the contrast with British English - I mean we wouldn't really use the word fanny (because it references the 'front-bottom') but fanny-packs are sold in department stores across the US.

Dick is a common name. It is short for Richard. This just points to the problem of blanket "block all these specific words"- all those that true to run forums on the internet face this problem. Most, like MFP, do some light per-word blocking and count on their moderators to handle the rest. Far from perfect, but it works well enough.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Now as for this s morning, it's our national holiday here today, think 4th July with out the fireworks (well literal ones, we get a lot of political ones. A few years ago a politician had a *kitten* thrown at him in protest. Because he was being a dick. Get it?). So day off work midweek! Yay!

sometimes I just don't get MFP and its dislike of certain cuss words. Whatever was thrown at the politician becomes a kitten (poor kitty) but you can call him a dick?

Or is it just the contrast with British English - I mean we wouldn't really use the word fanny (because it references the 'front-bottom') but fanny-packs are sold in department stores across the US.

And fanny here means back bottom. Parents tell their little kids that the fanny is gonna get spanked... well, least where spanking still happens. Although, unfortunately I’ve heard parents say some horrible thing to their kids in public, nothing any one should ever say to another being.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I think I used to find the exercise part more difficult (mostly laziness on my part to be honest!) however as I lost the weight, started to maintain and made exercise a part of my daily routine, I found it was the food that was the difficult part.

I think it's because I like having something I can work towards - I can change/increase/adapt my fitness and exercise goals now but there's less of that for food when I'm maintaining.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep 5.5 mph is plenty fast. I started out on the road running 10 min/km (4mph). Running slow helps build cardio fitness so you can run further.

I will try to slow my pace a bit and see if I can go further before I have to walk. 4mph is my "power walk" pace, so I'm not sure I can get a jog on at that pace. I will try out 5.0 tomorrow (If I'm not trying to get sick that is) and see how I fair. Woke up this morning with a bit of a sore throat and cruddy nose. I'm hoping it's just an effect of snoring and allergies. :lol:
    I'm sort of curious to see when (at what pace) I get that "skippy" have to jog feel now...
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    2-1 7k easy
    2-2 7k easy
    2-3 Rest
    2-4 7k easy
    2-5 Rest
    2-6 7k slow

February Total: 28k
    February Goal: 100k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen.

Nice, cool, rainy morning for running. Got back onto the pedestrian trail for the first time since December; there were still a couple of icy patches, but nothing too bad.
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless personally, I think dieting is significantly harder than exercise, so I completely agree with you. Exercise has become a part of my lifestyle and is something I look forward to everyday. When it comes to limiting food, however, I have a really hard time. I love food. And by food, I mean the really not good for you kind of food. Which is fine on the days that I do exercise, especially when that “runger” kicks in, but I definitely overdo it on rest days. Basically, I need to find a way of incorporating healthy eating methods into my lifestyle the same way I’ve incorporated exercise, but I haven’t quite figured it out yet.
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've spent most of 2017 doing fitness blender and a deficit - using mindful eating for the first 6 months. I only picked up Mfp in about June when I hit a plateau, figured out why I hit a plateau (snack creep) stopped using mfp and went back to mindful earing. I lost 20kg (about 45lb). In 2018 I started running in earnest, and that's when my deficit fell apart. I also had a contraceptive implant put in at the end on 2017 and the combination caused my appetite to skyrocket during 2018. Over eating was definitely the hard part then. Exercise was easy - because I had things I loved doing and ligetally got up early for. I basically maintained in 2018 gaining and losing the same 5kg (10ish lb).

I took the implant out late last year - too many side effects - and my eating overall is better and has got back under better and easier to control - except for Christmas (sigh). I've now lost the Christmas weight fairly easily, and am now concentrating on my ultimate goal weight this year. I got so close early last year, within 2kg (4.5lb) but lost it as the hormones got worse and worse.

I had my IUD removed for overeating purposes, also. I was out of control ravenous!

I'm contemplating taking my implant out.... It's been in for 18 months and I've found it sooooo hard to lose weight! I'm 15kg heavier but I'm never sure if it's the implant or that I stopped breastfeeding but I gain so easily and I just can not lose it! Even when running and eating at a deficit I am still not losing!

I've lost weight before so I know it isn't easy and I don't think it happens over night but I walk 5km a day just on school runs (before runs or gym etc) and I eat healthy and yet I can not get my weight below 100kg....

Appointment made to talk to the doctor about it on Friday!