Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat fetishism

amy19355
amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
edited February 2019 in Debate Club
I just learned about this fetish for fat.
I am nearly speechless at the discovery.

What’s to debate? Well I guess between us fitness folks, nothing, although ....I am willing to keep an open mind for new information about how this could be a healthy choice in certain circumstances.

Ok, I suppose we can make a case for it , perhaps , being a financially healthy choice, but here at MFP it’s the fitness and nutritional aspects that interest me.

[link removed by MFP moderator]

Replies

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    My ex boyfriend was into this. The bigger the better. Probably the reason I put on over 70 pounds in the course of our relationship.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited February 2019
    amy19355 wrote: »
    I just learned about this fetish for fat.
    I am nearly speechless at the discovery.

What’s to debate? Well I guess between us fitness folks, nothing, although ....I am willing to keep an open mind for new information about how this could be a healthy choice in certain circumstances.

Ok, I suppose we can make a case for it , perhaps , being a financially healthy choice, but here at MFP it’s the fitness and nutritional aspects that interest me.

[link removed by MFP moderator]

Sacrificing health for pleasure..

Something like this would require at least one partner to be overweight/obese I would think?? So potential health risks for that person...

Ah nevermind. I got nothing - oh, full disclosure, I didn't read the link because no I just don't want to. mamahorker? To each their own I guess...
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    I am willing to keep an open mind for new information about how this could be a healthy choice in certain circumstances.
    As much as socioeconomic status is predictive of health, I don't think the income from being a fat fetish model is going to over-ride the changes in health from becoming morbidly obese if one is becoming so from a healthy weight just to fill this niche.
    but here at MFP it’s the fitness and nutritional aspects that interest me.
    In what sense? Do you wonder how someone could gain the weight needed to be a fat fetish model? Are you asking if there are potentially more nutritionally sound ways to become obese?
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    I am willing to keep an open mind for new information about how this could be a healthy choice in certain circumstances.
    As much as socioeconomic status is predictive of health, I don't think the income from being a fat fetish model is going to over-ride the changes in health from becoming morbidly obese if one is becoming so from a healthy weight just to fill this niche.

[quote]but here at MFP it’s the fitness and nutritional aspects that interest me.
    In what sense? Do you wonder how someone could gain the weight needed to be a fat fetish model? Are you asking if there are potentially more nutritionally sound ways to become obese?[/quote]

I was wondering if there was any science to support a healthy state of obesity. Nothing I read ever suggested it, but I try never to close off the input of data that informs my understanding about stuff.
  • Phirrgus

[quote]but here at MFP it’s the fitness and nutritional aspects that interest me.
    In what sense? Do you wonder how someone could gain the weight needed to be a fat fetish model? Are you asking if there are potentially more nutritionally sound ways to become obese?

I was wondering if there was any science to support a healthy state of obesity.
    Nothing I read ever suggested it, but I try never to close off the input of data that informs my understanding about stuff. [/quote]

I have no sources for you to read, but a little food for thought would be offensive/defensive linemen in American football. Most folks looking at them walking down the street would never consider them fit, yet could never do what they do on the field.

I'm not attempting to defend obesity by the way, just suggesting another viewpoint for discussion.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member

I was wondering if there was any science to support a healthy state of obesity. Nothing I read ever suggested it, but I try never to close off the input of data that informs my understanding about stuff.

Generally, the evidence is that even highly active obese individuals have poor markers for health:
    https://examine.com/nutrition/can-you-be-healthy-and-obese/
    Using sumo wrestlers and National League American Football players as models for 'High adiposity paired with High activity', there still appear to be risks associated with the state of obesity or the high calorie diet that activity cannot compensate for completely (some compensation does seem apparent, however)
    Exercise does not appear to be potent enough to normalize all health biomarkers of an obese (BMI greater than 30) person if weight loss does not also occur; this may not hold for overweight persons where the state of health is inherently more favorable (than obese age-matched persons)
    Probably about the only people that are going to show up as obese from a weight perspective but not a metabolic perspective are athletes on anabolics, and then they're on anabolics, so it is hard to say how healthy they are.
  • Phirrgus
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have no sources for you to read, but a little food for thought would be offensive/defensive linemen in American football. Most folks looking at them walking down the street would never consider them fit, yet could never do what they do on the field.

I'm not attempting to defend obesity by the way, just suggesting another viewpoint for discussion.

A family friend of ours was a lineman for the Giants once upon a time. He was fit in regards to performance, but he had bad health markers from being obese. One of the first things he did when he retired was lose a ton of weight, and most lineman do the same when they retire.

Mike Golic who was a defensive lineman talks about it quite a bit on his show on ESPN radio...guy has dumped a ton of weight and looks like a completely different person from when he played.

Makes perfect sense. I questioned my posting that after I did too, as that size/weight is more a requirement almost, as opposed to someone who is obese through poor eating habits.

Not the best analogy on my part...hindsight..
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    yes there is a fetish for that.
    there is a fetish for everything

there are some plus sized people who are fitter than me. long term idk. tmmv
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    but here at MFP it’s the fitness and nutritional aspects that interest me.

I seriously doubt lean people are gaining hundreds of pounds to fill this niche. For one thing the niche is already full, for another skinny people probably can't get their foot in the door, for another it wouldn't be economical to buy so much extra food for a job, yet another is that everybody has limits. It just makes so much more sense that people with a fetish for obesity would be attracted to people who are already obese. I mean how long does it take to put on 100 pounds?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    edited February 2019
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

A family friend of ours was a lineman for the Giants once upon a time. He was fit in regards to performance, but he had bad health markers from being obese. One of the first things he did when he retired was lose a ton of weight, and most lineman do the same when they retire.

Mike Golic who was a defensive lineman talks about it quite a bit on his show on ESPN radio...guy has dumped a ton of weight and looks like a completely different person from when he played.

This is a kinda fun link, in that connection.

https://thesportsdrop.com/20-nfl-players-that-lost-a-ton-of-weight/