do you actually have to drink SO MUCH water to lose weight?

Replies

• Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    I'm a bit bad and really only drink about 2 bottles a week. But I've still lost 40+ pounds since starting my diet.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    I LOVE this thread! I've been trying to figure out how to stay hydrated properly while stuck in traffic for 2.5 hours and going between jobs. It can freaking hurt sometimes :'(

Looks like I can cut back on my water intake during the workday because I'm one of those sick puppies that believe the advice given here. From some peeps anyway :p

Your posts are such a delight. You seem to always be looking to learn & improve... very refreshing! :)

@try2again Thank you! For all the good info as well as the encouragement. Very Kind :)

I scoured the web for over a year my first attempt at losing and in truth, did find some decent stuff, as well as junk. But you good folks here...your advice works. :)

Do you have any idea what I would have to pay a PT and an RD to get what you folks give for free? I would be living out of my truck :D

I find it really sucks that people would have to pay to see a RD, to be honest. I was recommended to one when my blood tests indicated I was likely pre-diabetic and my dr referred me to a dietician who also worked out of the office (it's one of those places with a few different doctors' offices, blood lab, pharmacy, etc). Didn't have to pay anything, just had to show up for my appointments and honestly it was really helpful when I was getting started. He was the one that recommended MFP to me. Not that everyone necessarily needs a dietician, but they're usually a good place to start for help.

I'm fortunate in that my doc is a believer in nutrition and exercise, so he knows the value of a good RD, among other sources of information. I would love to have the benefit company provided though. Lord knows I pay enough for my insurance lol.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member

[/quote]

I do have a hitch :D That would have been a great solution to my full bladder on the highway problem lol.[/quote]

That was the tamest idea I found. Don’t look for better solutions. Lol
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member

I do have a hitch :D That would have been a great solution to my full bladder on the highway problem lol.[/quote]

That was the tamest idea I found. Don’t look for better solutions. Lol[/quote]
    I will take your advice lol :)
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I LOVE this thread! I've been trying to figure out how to stay hydrated properly while stuck in traffic for 2.5 hours and going between jobs. It can freaking hurt sometimes :'(

Looks like I can cut back on my water intake during the workday because I'm one of those sick puppies that believe the advice given here. From some peeps anyway :p

Your posts are such a delight. You seem to always be looking to learn & improve... very refreshing! :)

@try2again Thank you! For all the good info as well as the encouragement. Very Kind :)

I scoured the web for over a year my first attempt at losing and in truth, did find some decent stuff, as well as junk. But you good folks here...your advice works. :)

Do you have any idea what I would have to pay a PT and an RD to get what you folks give for free? I would be living out of my truck :D

Ah, I see, joined in December. You just haven't gotten your first quarterly bill yet. :wink:
    :p:)
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    I don't track my water and it's never hindered my weight goals. Also, you get water from your food, beverages (coffee, soda etc). Unless you drink very little overall, I wouldn't be worried about it.

"Coffee and soda" do NOT count as water consumption. Those 2 (and more) actually dehydrate you leaving your body needing more water.

Yes they do.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member

I find it really sucks that people would have to pay to see a RD, to be honest. I was recommended to one when my blood tests indicated I was likely pre-diabetic and my dr referred me to a dietician who also worked out of the office (it's one of those places with a few different doctors' offices, blood lab, pharmacy, etc). Didn't have to pay anything, just had to show up for my appointments and honestly it was really helpful when I was getting started. He was the one that recommended MFP to me. Not that everyone necessarily needs a dietician, but they're usually a good place to start for help.

Sadly, OHIP (Ontario provincial health coverage) won't cover RDs either. I've looked into it in the past and it seems like it's around $75/hr for the initial consult, then about $60 for each session thereafter. I mean, I contacted three in my area and they all came in within about $5 of that.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Jelaan wrote: »
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    obviously a calorie deficit makes you lose weight but people on youtube day drink a gallon of water a day and it’s so much and peeing a lot just is so anointing and wondering if it has any effect? maybe it helps with water weight??

If you're peeing a lot then your body doesn't need as much water as you're drinking. You drink fluids (doesn't necessarily have to be water, other drinks and food contain water) to stay hydrated, there is no one size fits all for water intake, just check your urine is the right colour (see below from UK NHS)
    mfu0w4ej9rb8.png

As for weight loss, it might help with hunger, as thirst can be mistaken for hunger, but no it doesn't directly have any effect on weight loss. You can see an article about this also at the NHS Website. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/ten-weight-loss-myths/

Ok .... how many of us just went to the bathroom to colour check our pee after seeing this. Or was it just me??

Nope! I did it, too. And I have been TRYING to remember to check it throughout the day, but I usually forget. 🤪
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    It's actually a really helpful chart. I know I don't drink enough during the day, so a visual reminder helps.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member

Sadly, OHIP (Ontario provincial health coverage) won't cover RDs either. I've looked into it in the past and it seems like it's around $75/hr for the initial consult, then about $60 for each session thereafter. I mean, I contacted three in my area and they all came in within about $5 of that.

Yeah, seems the only way to not have to pay for it is either through insurance or if it's already offered through the physician's office. OHIP really should cover a lot more than what they do, or there should at least be a program people could go through that was covered by the government like the bariatric program is.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,165 Member
    obviously a calorie deficit makes you lose weight but people on youtube day drink a gallon of water a day and it’s so much and peeing a lot just is so anointing and wondering if it has any effect? maybe it helps with water weight??

If you're peeing a lot then your body doesn't need as much water as you're drinking. You drink fluids (doesn't necessarily have to be water, other drinks and food contain water) to stay hydrated, there is no one size fits all for water intake, just check your urine is the right colour (see below from UK NHS)
    mfu0w4ej9rb8.png

As for weight loss, it might help with hunger, as thirst can be mistaken for hunger, but no it doesn't directly have any effect on weight loss. You can see an article about this also at the NHS Website. https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/ten-weight-loss-myths/

The above post is insightful and correct, but be aware that some vitamins color your urine bright yellow, so don't confuse it with de-hydration. I take Vit. B2 twice a day and within an hour my urine is very bright yellow, but I was warned by my doctor so I don't worry.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member

Not to derail, but if people don't have to pay to see a RD how does the RD get any $ to feed and clothe his/her family?

Ain't nothing free.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Not to derail, but if people don't have to pay to see a RD how does the RD get any $ to feed and clothe his/her family?

Ain't nothing free.

Health insurance, I assume is meant, or national health service.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member

Ok .... how many of us just went to the bathroom to colour check our pee after seeing this. Or was it just me??

Well it wasn't me.

As I said before healthy people do not get dehydrated in ordinary everyday life.

No need for everyone to check their urine colour.

Just drink when you feel like it.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    AutumLeaf wrote: »

Drink enough so your pee is pale. If it's clear then you're drinking too much

Opsss I have clear pee. I get a lot of headaches and if I don't drink as much as I do they get worse. I'm also thirsty a lot despite how much I drink water.

You really should talk to a doctor and get tested - unending thirst is one of the major warning signs of type 2 diabetes.

It can be yes, but not always. I have been tested countless times for diabetes because I am exactly the same, but my bloods are always perfect.

That said, if you've never been tested, you definitely should get checked out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member

Well it wasn't me.

As I said before healthy people do not get dehydrated in ordinary everyday life.

No need for everyone to check their urine colour.

Just drink when you feel like it.

In a technical sense, I agree: Healthy people are unlikely to get dehydrated to the point of major health risk.

That said, there are people - I'm one - who need to pay attention in order to get an adequate/optimal amount of fluid intake. For whatever reason, my system seems sensitive to hydration levels, but I don't seem to have great intuition about it.

When I was working in a factory in the desert, I was severely fatigued; it took a while to realize hydration was the problem (I didn't feel especially thirsty). In my 30s, I was diagnosed with IBS-C, and told to get more fiber (by a doctor who maybe didn't do due diligence: I'm vegetarian, with a whole-grain preference). Adding fiber made things worse. Once I realized on my own that under-hydration was the issue, not fiber, my routine discomfort was very much reduced.

I think perhaps some people have poor intuitive hydration cues, just as some people have poor intuitive eating cues.