Keto Long Distant Runners

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    tess5036 wrote: »
    I am keto and training for a marathon. I was put in the direction of keto by my doctor after he discovered I was doing endurance sports. During the initial stages it was difficult training and I had to cut back a bit as my energy levels dropped, but they have since recovered. I usually train fasted as that is what is better for me, but I have noted when I have something about 2 to 3 hours before a long exercise a session it appears to help.

I would be so skeptical if a doctor recommended keto to me specifically because I was doing endurance running. Given that the most successful endurance athletes tend to eat carbohydrate-rich diets (especially during training), what was his justification? Also, does his practice focus on endurance athletes and their nutritional needs?

Especially considering that my dietitian -- who focuses on sports medicine/sports nutrition, and lectures at a national level -- told me that of all the poor choices I could make, she would rather have me *restrict* to <1000 than she would have me do keto. And she has OPINIONS about <1000. That's how strongly she feels about the negative effects of keto.

Regarding judging: Generally, I don't care what people do, and how they eat. You do you. But if "you" tell me that I'm doing it all wrong, and that low carb and keto are the only way to go, I will come down on you like a hammer on a fruit fly. Because that *kitten* doesn't fly -- don't food shame me, and don't food shame other people.

Yeah, I can get having other reasons to want to eat ketogenically and then working to do that in a way that supports your endurance training. It's harder for me to imagine reasons why one would choose to eat ketogenically specifically because one was doing endurance training.

There is an allure in being able to theoretically run off my existing fat stores for fuel vs messing with gels and things. So I can understand why many have tried (myself included).

But everyone that I know who has tried (myself included) found that we didn’t care how much fat we were burning if we’re running slower (and with less overall energy). Since that is literally no one’s goal.

So as seems to be the message in the studies and things on the prior page (and vast amounts of anecdotal evidence), higher carbs is better for performance in endurance running.

Yeah, it *sounds* amazing. When I first read about it, I was intrigued. And while I've never tried it, what I've read from the experiences of others is that it is kind of like "fool's gold."
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been following this thread with interest. I'm an endurance runner myself, and will be running a marathon next month. My curiosity is piqued to hear from others how they have faired running long distances on a lower carb lifestyle.

I, myself, don't have anything worth contributing because I do eat a very high carbohydrate filled diet in order to fuel my runs - but I am interested in hearing from others who have a different way of eating and are able to sustain their energy levels through long runs. Also, performance levels in general from pre to post run.

I do tend to agree that the lack of responses are most typically due to the lack of endurance runners who fuel themselves on a lower carbohydrate lifestyle, but that's certainly not to say there aren't people who do. :smile:

Ive also kept an interested eye on this thread as a runner.

I often get under 150g of carbs so could be classed in some circles as 'low carb'
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I've been following this thread with interest. I'm an endurance runner myself, and will be running a marathon next month. My curiosity is piqued to hear from others how they have faired running long distances on a lower carb lifestyle.

I, myself, don't have anything worth contributing because I do eat a very high carbohydrate filled diet in order to fuel my runs - but I am interested in hearing from others who have a different way of eating and are able to sustain their energy levels through long runs. Also, performance levels in general from pre to post run.

I do tend to agree that the lack of responses are most typically due to the lack of endurance runners who fuel themselves on a lower carbohydrate lifestyle, but that's certainly not to say there aren't people who do. :smile:

I often get under 150g of carbs so could be classed in some circles as 'low carb'

Do you feel it has an impact on your running?

I imagine the answer is "no," since you're continuing to eat that way, but I'm curious. My brother is trying to do low carbohydrate (not keto) running right now and he's struggling (mainly on runs longer than 15 miles or so).
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Yeah. I mean, I do ~40 percent of carbs, which is lower than the SAD, and the MFP default breakdown, but I certainly don't see myself as low carb. And, if I could get my insulin sensitivity more improved -- I'm already pretty sensitive, and did have to just tweak my bolus ratios -- I'd consider more. But I don't beat myself up if I don't hit that 40 or under.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

I recently became Keto adpted ( and do 16/8 fasts). My energy levels have been thru the roof and I wanted to get back to doing marathons again. Any Keto marathon runners here? Do you have a ‘snack’ or drink to fuel up for long distance runs? Any tips welcomed

One thing to consider is that your energy expenditure during a marathon is likely to be higher than what you're doing currently. So it is possible that you could eat more carbs yet still be in ketosis.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Oh interesting, I wasn't aware roughly at 150g - that was considered somewhat low carb. I'd be curious to hear how you fair as you train for your marathon later on in the year.

I currently average roughly anywhere from 200 - 250g during the week for my training schedule and over 300g on the weekend when I'm doing my long runs.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »

I recently became Keto adpted ( and do 16/8 fasts). My energy levels have been thru the roof and I wanted to get back to doing marathons again. Any Keto marathon runners here? Do you have a ‘snack’ or drink to fuel up for long distance runs? Any tips welcomed

One thing to consider is that your energy expenditure during a marathon is likely to be higher than what you're doing currently. So it is possible that you could eat more carbs yet still be in ketosis.

Do you mean during marathon training or during the marathon itself? Because a marathon is just one day, the real challenge is more likely to be fueling training while on a ketogenic diet.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Do you mean during marathon training or during the marathon itself? Because a marathon is just one day, the real challenge is more likely to be fueling training while on a ketogenic diet.

In either case, the added expenditure (if it is indeed additional) would allow for more carbs. If the individual normally trains for marathons (the OP kind of alluded that she didn't), then it probably wouldn't be any added expenditure.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

In either case, the added expenditure (if it is indeed additional) would allow for more carbs. If the individual normally trains for marathons (the OP kind of alluded that she didn't), then it probably wouldn't be any added expenditure.

A typical marathon training plan has varying mileage each week, so I think this could complicate the effort to figure out how many carbohydrates to eat to stay in ketosis (my perspective is that of a marathon runner, not that of someone doing keto so it may be simpler than I'm imagining).