Keto Long Distant Runners

13»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I've been following this thread with interest. I'm an endurance runner myself, and will be running a marathon next month. My curiosity is piqued to hear from others how they have faired running long distances on a lower carb lifestyle.

I, myself, don't have anything worth contributing because I do eat a very high carbohydrate filled diet in order to fuel my runs - but I am interested in hearing from others who have a different way of eating and are able to sustain their energy levels through long runs. Also, performance levels in general from pre to post run.

I do tend to agree that the lack of responses are most typically due to the lack of endurance runners who fuel themselves on a lower carbohydrate lifestyle, but that's certainly not to say there aren't people who do. :smile:

Ive also kept an interested eye on this thread as a runner.

I often get under 150g of carbs so could be classed in some circles as 'low carb'

Oh interesting, I wasn't aware roughly at 150g - that was considered somewhat low carb. I'd be curious to hear how you fair as you train for your marathon later on in the year.

I currently average roughly anywhere from 200 - 250g during the week for my training schedule and over 300g on the weekend when I'm doing my long runs.

I didn't think it was either. I can't imagine I will even want to try marathon training on that number of carbs.

My first thing to try to curb the runger is to increase carbs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Hello :)

I recently became Keto adpted ( and do 16/8 fasts). My energy levels have been thru the roof and I wanted to get back to doing marathons again. Any Keto marathon runners here? Do you have a ‘snack’ or drink to fuel up for long distance runs? Any tips welcomed

One thing to consider is that your energy expenditure during a marathon is likely to be higher than what you're doing currently. So it is possible that you could eat more carbs yet still be in ketosis.

Do you mean during marathon training or during the marathon itself? Because a marathon is just one day, the real challenge is more likely to be fueling training while on a ketogenic diet.

In either case, the added expenditure (if it is indeed additional) would allow for more carbs. If the individual normally trains for marathons (the OP kind of alluded that she didn't), then it probably wouldn't be any added expenditure.

Ok. But the “added expenditure” is an increase in expenditure over a period of several months where you’ll be running anywhere from 3 to 20 (or more) miles a day and 40-60 (or more) miles per week.

Trying to manage the precise additional carb intake every day around that kind of variability (and still have enough energy to do all that running) and precisely timing that carb intake around your runs while also eating at the right times so you don’t feel ill while running? Oh-and finding the time to do 40-60+ miles of runs while still working and living?

All JUST to stay in ketosis?

Marathon training is hard enough alteady.

Yeah, I get tired just thinking about it.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I've been following this thread with interest. I'm an endurance runner myself, and will be running a marathon next month. My curiosity is piqued to hear from others how they have faired running long distances on a lower carb lifestyle.

I, myself, don't have anything worth contributing because I do eat a very high carbohydrate filled diet in order to fuel my runs - but I am interested in hearing from others who have a different way of eating and are able to sustain their energy levels through long runs. Also, performance levels in general from pre to post run.

I do tend to agree that the lack of responses are most typically due to the lack of endurance runners who fuel themselves on a lower carbohydrate lifestyle, but that's certainly not to say there aren't people who do. :smile:

Ive also kept an interested eye on this thread as a runner.

I often get under 150g of carbs so could be classed in some circles as 'low carb'

Oh interesting, I wasn't aware roughly at 150g - that was considered somewhat low carb. I'd be curious to hear how you fair as you train for your marathon later on in the year.

I currently average roughly anywhere from 200 - 250g during the week for my training schedule and over 300g on the weekend when I'm doing my long runs.

I didn't think it was either. I can't imagine I will even want to try marathon training on that number of carbs.

My first thing to try to curb the runger is to increase carbs.

I was around 150-ish total carbs for a long time. I wasn’t able to handle 40+ miles/week on less than 200g. But that also kind of happened naturally since my calorie intake increased with the additional miles.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member

I recently became Keto adpted ( and do 16/8 fasts). My energy levels have been thru the roof and I wanted to get back to doing marathons again. Any Keto marathon runners here? Do you have a ‘snack’ or drink to fuel up for long distance runs? Any tips welcomed

One thing to consider is that your energy expenditure during a marathon is likely to be higher than what you're doing currently. So it is possible that you could eat more carbs yet still be in ketosis.

Do you mean during marathon training or during the marathon itself? Because a marathon is just one day, the real challenge is more likely to be fueling training while on a ketogenic diet.

In either case, the added expenditure (if it is indeed additional) would allow for more carbs. If the individual normally trains for marathons (the OP kind of alluded that she didn't), then it probably wouldn't be any added expenditure.

Ok. But the “added expenditure” is an increase in expenditure over a period of several months where you’ll be running anywhere from 3 to 20 (or more) miles a day and 40-60 (or more) miles per week.

Trying to manage the precise additional carb intake every day around that kind of variability (and still have enough energy to do all that running) and precisely timing that carb intake around your runs while also eating at the right times so you don’t feel ill while running? Oh-and finding the time to do 40-60+ miles of runs while still working and living?

I am not advocating either way. I'm just presenting another consideration previously unaddressed. It is something she can take into account when figuring out the answer for herself.
  • Duck_Puddle

I am not advocating either way. I'm just presenting another consideration previously unaddressed. It is something she can take into account when figuring out the answer for herself.

And I’m just presenting some of the logistical challenges of that approach. Just because something is possible doesn’t mean it’s practical. OP should also know that.

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member

And I’m just presenting some of the logistical challenges of that approach. Just because something is possible doesn’t mean it’s practical. OP should also know that.

What is impractical about being able to ingest more carbohydrates than you might be accustomed to?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

What is impractical about being able to ingest more carbohydrates than you might be accustomed to?

It was laid out pretty clearly -- trying to figure out daily how many carbohydrates one can eat while remaining in ketosis while executing a training plan where the mileage doesn't just vary by day, but by week.

Most marathon training plans have a lot of variability.

Impossible? No. But for many amateur runners who are trying to get their miles while also working a job and presumably meeting other responsibilities, it could be pretty challenging.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Since you are fat adapted, you really shouldn't need any fuel for a marathon distance. I'm fat adapted (I eat zero carb / carnivore) and run marathons fasted. The only exception is that, as a type 1 diabetic, I will take glucose tablets if hypoglycemic... which I would do whether active or sedentary at the time.

Having said that, some fat adapted endurance athletes do take small amounts of carbs to fuel higher intensity exercise. Some take slow release carbs (such as Generation UCAN). Some others take products that help fat to become more bio-available (yohimbe, for example... be careful because some products are prohibited during competition on the WADA list) or for skeletal muscles to improve fat oxidation.

Regardless of what you choose to use to add fuel or improve its availability or efficiency of use (or if you choose to run fasted), you will need to supplement electrolytes. Some electrolyte supplements even have carbs in them. Tor example, Nuun tablets are 4g each, which is really high... about the most I would even think about using and then only if it is the only available option.

When I said some can do it, you were one I was thinking of. But despite 17 attempts, I wasn’t able to remember your username enough to tag you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Since you are fat adapted, you really shouldn't need any fuel for a marathon distance. I'm fat adapted (I eat zero carb / carnivore) and run marathons fasted. The only exception is that, as a type 1 diabetic, I will take glucose tablets if hypoglycemic... which I would do whether active or sedentary at the time.

Having said that, some fat adapted endurance athletes do take small amounts of carbs to fuel higher intensity exercise. Some take slow release carbs (such as Generation UCAN). Some others take products that help fat to become more bio-available (yohimbe, for example... be careful because some products are prohibited during competition on the WADA list) or for skeletal muscles to improve fat oxidation.

Regardless of what you choose to use to add fuel or improve its availability or efficiency of use (or if you choose to run fasted), you will need to supplement electrolytes. Some electrolyte supplements even have carbs in them. Tor example, Nuun tablets are 4g each, which is really high... about the most I would even think about using and then only if it is the only available option.

This is the kind of personal experience I find really interesting, thank you for sharing.

This thread is great!
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member

Appreciate you sharing your experience and methodology here.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

To add to this, those who are looking for some kind of energy source pre workout, can rely on fuels from MCT oils. They metabolize quickly, making energy much more available. Additionally, if one is training, they certainly can benefit from timing carbs pre workout (along with the aforementioned MCT) to maximize energy availability.

OP, overall, there tends to be pretty larger variability in those who can train while following ketogenic diets. If you struggle with energy levels as you increasing distance, you can than add a few more carbs. I have seen some cyclist and runners consume over 200g of carbs while maintaining ketosis. And if prior to an event, it may be beneficial to carb load.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. In order for those carbs to be available when needed, the carbs are consumed immediately before and/or during (every 5 miles, for example) the activity. You don't want to "carb load" the night before with a massive amount. Instead, use smaller amounts as glucose is being used. By doing so, you add some glucose and it is used as soon as it is added. Adding glucose to your system the night before means it gets cleared out from blood and stored as glycogen and/or fat. While that strategy may have some merit (or at least it doesn't significantly hurt) for someone eating SAD, you are going to have some serious weight gain, bloating, and possibly even GI problems trying to follow this approach. In addition to all of those problems, you don't get any additional benefit when compared to providing smaller amounts and using it immediately rather than storing it.