Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Ultraprocessed food and increased mortality risk?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    To follow-up rheddmobile's point, I also think dosage is relevant. What I find bizarre is that idea that merely being processed (or ultraprocessed, and again I find the definition of that confusingly broad for the reasons that have been talked about) is the problem.

The issue with the so-called SAD, and perhaps the smaller sub-set of people in France who the study focused on, is not that ultraprocessed foods themselves were the problem, but that they indicated something about overall diet. If you look at the typical foods in this category, a diet made up entirely of convenience foods would be more likely to be nutritionally unbalanced than one based on a more typical French whole foods pattern (which does not exclude plenty of processed ingredients, less nutritious foods, refined carbs). If someone is eating mostly convenience foods and NOT making an effort to be picky with respect to the ones they choose (and if the point is not thinking about it or convenience, as I suspect for the average person in that category it would be), then the likelihood is that the diet will be nutritionally imbalanced -- pretty low on fiber, lower on vegetables and fruits, higher in sodium and lower in potassium and calcium, and -- especially if sweets are part of the mix -- higher in fats (and quite likely the less desirable fats vs. others, and a messed up omega 3 to 6 ratio) and added sugar. Those kinds of things are more about what you are not eating than having ready-made meals for lunch (carefully chosen and with some added veg on the side) daily and occasional fast food or a little ice cream regularly.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Just a question - with the obvious exception of caloric intake, are there any other lines you folks draw, based on how a food is processed?

I'm strictly kosher and ovo-lacto vegetarian. Strictly kosher, besides the better-known aspects (most people are aware of "no pork," for example) also means not consuming insects large enough to be seen with the naked eye. When it comes to fruits and veg that have a lot of bumps and crevices, say broccoli or raspberries, I won't buy them unless they've been kosher-certified—meaning that whether by human eyes or machinery, someone's already pre-checked it. (Usually, that means buying frozen or canned, since unless it's in a vacuum-packed plastic bag—look Ma, more processing!—there's a chance of insect infestation happening between the checking facility and the supermarket.) I know how to check green leafies myself; it's a tedious process, but so far, if I want to go further afield than romaine lettuce, baby spinach, and chopped frozen spinach, that's what I need to do.

It also means buying kosher-certified foods in general, because of the possibility of cross-contamination at point of processing. Just as an example, if I buy frozen peas from a company that also produces a frozen "Pasta bowl with shrimp and peas," I have no way of knowing whether the shrimp was processed with the same equipment as the veg.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Just a question - with the obvious exception of caloric intake, are there any other lines you folks draw, based on how a food is processed?

Hmm. There might be if there were something I liked that had an ingredient I questioned, but that really doesn't come up much. Part of this is that I am actually really selective about what I personally consume, but it's more about taste and not wanting to waste calories on something that's not all that tasty than thinking particular types of processing are inherently problematic.

I do avoid transfats (but I don't think they are even in much anymore). I try to limit meats from certain kinds of industrial agriculture, but that's an ethical thing for me and I'm not always 100% careful about it, especially with restaurants (although a lot of restaurants try to be all farm to table). I don't eat much processed meat, but will eat it occasionally (I live near a traditional German grocery that makes great sausages). I tend to avoid foods made with industrial seed oils on average (I don't have a rule of never eating them, but I mostly don't consume packaged foods with them. Reason for that is that I do think omega 3 to 6 ratio is worth considering, and I've found that just eating the way I normally do the ratio is good, and those oils add lots of excess omega 6 to the diet. Also I'm just not drawn to the kinds of packaged stuff that contain them, I typically prefer homemade so consider it a waste of calories. I also don't find that products with HFCS are typically the better versions of whatever the sweet is (and again I'm picky about packaged sweets and mostly just buy my favorite ice creams and this chocolate I like). I'll also typically go for lower sodium in a canned food and avoid any other unnecessary additives (like I've been told some canned tomatoes have added sugar, which strikes me as really weird) since I know I can get the same thing without them. I don't buy salad dressings because homemade is easy and tastes better IMO.

There might be other dyes or additives that I would choose to avoid, but I just don't tend to buy foods that have a lot of ingredients I don't recognize or think there is genuine controversy about (since I don't, I haven't researched whether I think there is an issue or not with them). I get lots of processed stuff (cottage cheese, pasta, yogurt, canned beans, so on, but the "ultraprocessed" is more the kinds of foods discussed above -- maybe a sausage or bacon from a local farm (which doesn't seem ultraprocessed to me) or chocolate or ice cream (but the ingredients again are easily recognizable). Oh, and sometimes whey powder, which I also have no issues with, but tend to go with ones that are largely just whey.

I also will drink (ultraprocessed) diet soda, and see no harm from that.

I'd eat cellulose in bread no problem, except I just don't like those kinds of breads and don't use calories on them (I almost never buy bread, I'll eat it occasionally at a restaurant if it's a good bread, and will sometimes bake it).
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

I'm strictly kosher and ovo-lacto vegetarian. Strictly kosher, besides the better-known aspects (most people are aware of "no pork," for example) also means not consuming insects large enough to be seen with the naked eye. When it comes to fruits and veg that have a lot of bumps and crevices, say broccoli or raspberries, I won't buy them unless they've been kosher-certified—meaning that whether by human eyes or machinery, someone's already pre-checked it. (Usually, that means buying frozen or canned, since unless it's in a vacuum-packed plastic bag—look Ma, more processing!—there's a chance of insect infestation happening between the checking facility and the supermarket.) I know how to check green leafies myself; it's a tedious process, but so far, if I want to go further afield than romaine lettuce, baby spinach, and chopped frozen spinach, that's what I need to do.

It also means buying kosher-certified foods in general, because of the possibility of cross-contamination at point of processing. Just as an example, if I buy frozen peas from a company that also produces a frozen "Pasta bowl with shrimp and peas," I have no way of knowing whether the shrimp was processed with the same equipment as the veg.

Thanks estherdragonbat - that actually sounds rather difficult to maintain. Do you ever get discouraged?

I did laugh at the "Look Ma!" :D

edited for punctuation
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Not really. I've always been kosher (a little less strict for a few years when I was in college) and I went vegetarian about 28 years ago, so it's pretty much routine now. And thankfully, I live in Toronto, a place where most kosher products are easy to come by. I still get envious when I visit my sister in the US; she's in Lakewood NJ and there's even more variety. But by-and-large, it's something I've been doing for all or most of my life, so it's no big deal at this point.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Here's Kevin Halls new study with ultra-processed foods, I don't think this has been linked yet?
    https://osf.io/preprints/nutrixiv/w3zh2
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Pretty much nope. I'll usually choose a food bar and possible peanut butter/yogurt accompaniment after running based on calories and how I am otherwise doing on meeting my selected protein, fat, fiber grams that day. processing 'level' = pretty much don't care.

I will judge some foods where they cheapened out and used corn syrup (doesn't taste quite as good, and still has the sugar calories - so more likely to be not worth all of those calories...if it doesn't taste quite as good as real sugar - then I would prefer saving the calories and having it artificially sweetened (ie going up a further tier of 'processing')). Lately, if I'm in a rush (or in the mood for more variety) and buying pre-flavored yogurt instead of adding my own splenda-sweetened freezer jam to plain, I usually pay a bit more and get the 'more processed' Dannon flavored light greek yogurts because I don't want to spend the 40-ish calories on the sugar used in their jam portion. In (cheap) frozen fish, there is an ingredient they sometimes add to up the water content - I'll generally avoid that because I don't appreciate their attempt to scam the consumer and because I don't want soggy fish (can be enough water to overflow containers/2 part oven tray) while thawing.
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Not really. I've always been kosher (a little less strict for a few years when I was in college) and I went vegetarian about 28 years ago, so it's pretty much routine now. And thankfully, I live in Toronto, a place where most kosher products are easy to come by. I still get envious when I visit my sister in the US; she's in Lakewood NJ and there's even more variety. But by-and-large, it's something I've been doing for all or most of my life, so it's no big deal at this point.

Good to know, thanks for the replies :)
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Pretty much nope. I'll usually choose a food bar and possible peanut butter/yogurt accompaniment after running based on calories and how I am otherwise doing on meeting my selected protein, fat, fiber grams that day. processing 'level' = pretty much don't care.

I will judge some foods where they cheapened out and used corn syrup (doesn't taste quite as good, and still has the sugar calories - so more likely to be not worth all of those calories...if it doesn't taste quite as good as real sugar - then I would prefer saving the calories and having it artificially sweetened (ie going up a further tier of 'processing')). Lately, if I'm in a rush (or in the mood for more variety) and buying pre-flavored yogurt instead of adding my own splenda-sweetened freezer jam to plain, I usually pay a bit more and get the 'more processed' Dannon flavored light greek yogurts because I don't want to spend the 40-ish calories on the sugar used in their jam portion. In (cheap) frozen fish, there is an ingredient they sometimes add to up the water content - I'll generally avoid that because I don't appreciate their attempt to scam the consumer and because I don't want soggy fish (can be enough water to overflow containers/2 part oven tray) while thawing.
    Thank you for the detailed answer. that's largely in line with how my wife shops and chooses foods as well and what I'm still learning, even at 59. Thanks :)
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    While I agree that there is not a terribly large amount of room for ultra-processed foods in a nutrient-dense, healthy diet, my hackles just rise when I see things like "ice cream" and "burgers" wrapped in there. When I make ice cream, it is cream, milk, sugar, salt and egg yolks, plus whatever fruit is growing in my yard--strawberries, blackberries, peaches, rhubarb. Burgers are just ground beef, eggs, maybe some breadcrumbs, and spices.

One of the problems is the 'ultra-processing" of the research into the media that is actually consumed by most Americans. This pablum is as bad for your mind as blocks of Velveeta are for your body.* So you get people saying that ALL pizza, ice cream, burgers, fries, cookies, etc. are OF THE DEVIL!!!**, when the researchers are just pointing out the hyperpalatable goods that have been pumped full of additives and stripped of many nutrients and fiber, not the fries etc. that you make at home just by, you know, slicing potatoes and crisping them in some olive oil.

Understand 100% what you are saying, but to be honest, what % of the ice cream in the US is made as you describe, maybe 2% at best? So for the vast majority, ice cream is ultra-processed and as you say probably not a whole lot of room in a nutrient dense, healthy diet.

Well, there is a wide variety of ice creams available. I pulled out a Talenti in my freezer, and it has: milk, sugar, cream, skim milk, dextrose, vanilla extract, glucose, carob gum, vanilla beans, and lemon zest. Still seems pretty decent to me, as opposed to the fake stuff one gets at McD's or Dairy Queen. But oh no: it's in fancy packaging!! And has, like a couple of additives! Thus it is of the devil!!

If my ice cream, hand-harvested by unicorns and stored in my special overpriced Williams Sonoma container is aceeptable, where exactly does Talenti cross the line and become of the devil? Is it in the fancy packaging? or in the several additives, and if the latter, what is the exact mechanism by which they become satanic? What if I walk down the street to the ice cream shop that makes their own with only the purest ingredients?

Also, I just get sick of the kinds of people that say every spoon of sugar is of the devil (and I can assure you my ice cream has many a spoon of sugar) so I am abusing my children even with unicorn harvested ice cream because sugar = ultra-processed.

It's the whole Manichean dichotomy of good vs. evil that is just very annoying.

The real danger, as we know, is eating too much of any kind of ice cream, to the exclusion of other nutrients and to the detriment of ones weight.

Exactly. My favorite peppermint ice cream has fewer ingredients than the chicken that I made this evening.
    Cream, Milk, Cane Sugar, Non Fat Milk Solids, Organic Egg Yolks, Peppermint Candy (Cane Sugar, Organic Peppermint Oil, Lecithin), R.R. Lochhead® Vanilla, Organic Peppermint Oil, Vegetable Color

When I make peppermint ice cream at home i has almost all of those things, save for the non-fat milk solids, lecithin and vegetable color. Meanwhile my chicken had chicken thighs, lemon juice, olive oil, sumac, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, salt, pepper, and red onion.

One could argue that the chicken dish was processed more, or at the very least had the bigger carbon footprint, than any ice cream I make at home. The olive oil alone would take care of the processing bit, and I can't imagine any of the spices were grown in the US, let alone in the NW or in Oregon more specifically. The lemon? Also not local, though probably from California.

And then there's the ever maligned sausage. The bratwurst from a Olympia Provisions (which is local to me):
    pork, pork fat, water, dry milk powder, less than 2% of: salt, dried vinegar, cultured dextrose, spices, black pepper, nutmeg, pork casing

I mean ok - what are "spices" and why isn't nutmeg included in that designation, but otherwise that's pretty benign. I looked up the ingredients that are in the Johnsonville precooked bratwurst and they're nearly the same. Compare that to the Tofurky beer brat sausages that sit nearby in the chilled cabinet at the grocery store:
    Water, vital wheat gluten, expeller pressed canola oil, organic tofu (water, organic soybeans, magnesium chloride, calcium chloride), onions, soy flour, full sail amber ale (water, malted barley, hops, yeast), contains less than 2% of sea salt, cane sugar, spices, dehydrated onion, granulated garlic, garlic puree, carrageenan, dextrose, konjac, potassium chloride.

Also not awful by any means, but a heck of a lot more processed.

None of these things are the devil incarnate and all of these things can fit into one's calorie allowance.
    While meat does tend to have a big carbon footprint (more so beef than chicken), to say things have a higher carbon footprint just because they're grown far away isn't necessarily true. There's the consideration that foods grown in a climate that are more productive require less inputs, and combined with efficient commodities freight hauling like railroad and boat, could have a lower footprint than locally grown that had to use higher inputs because of the environment and particularly if transported largely via a vehicle like a pick up truck.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Honestly, not really. The only thing I try to avoid is trans fat, which is something luckily I'm seeing less and less on labels. I've heard some stories about the environmental impact of palm oil, so I switched peanut butters to avoid that. As far as ingredients or processing methods or anything like that, that's really it.

I tend to always try to pick amongst "processed" food staples, like frozen dinners or bread or something like that, the ones with more protein or fiber as those tend to fill me up. And I'd bet I end up mitigating some of the ultraprocessed-ness of my diet that way to an extent, as protein and fiber often suffer when a food is highly processed. But I choose my chicken nuggets, Oreos, ice cream, and potato chips by tastiness alone :smiley:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

No, although:

* I'll admit to using an ingredients list as a rough hint to whether I'll find a prepared or frozen food tasty (lots of ingredients that are not regular food is often a bad sign, IME).

* Part of my way of thinking about what foods are likely to be tasty and reasonably good for me is whether humans in large numbers have been eating them for centuries or millennia, and seemingly thriving. They're evolution tested! ;) (Lots of things that are "processed" qualify. Can't think of many "ultraprocessed" ones off the top of my head, but there probably are some . . . tofu, maybe?)

* I'm somewhat skeptical about food products that have lots taken out of them, as I generally don't seem to personally find them as tasty or satisfying. For example, I mostly prefer whole grain products over refined. Other people prefer differently, and I don't think of that as inherently "worse".

* I take vitamins or similar supplements if a doctor tells me to, and reading up doesn't present severe downsides. There are even a couple I've taken on my own advice, after reading. Vitamins seen like an extreme example of "ultraprocessed" to me, by common sense definitition.

* I am ovo-lacto veg, but that has zero to do with how processed things are.

* I find quasi-religious zeal about avoiding even minute amounts of commonly-eaten ingredients to be really hard to understand (absent allergy or relevant medical condition). Dosage really matters, IMO. In some cases, I think the stress hormones generated would be worse for a person than the ingredient. (No, I don't freak out if I accidentally eat something with a meat ingredient.)
  • Phirrgus
    Options
    Thanks for the replies folks - this is good reinforcement as I've been known to get ridiculously picky when shopping, or just going all out, no healthy middle ground.

@AnnPT77 - That video I posted earlier talks exactly about what you stated RE: the quasi-religious zeal and minute amounts - they say basically the same thing, which is refreshing to hear.

I hate to admit that my mind can be one of those that gets hung up on what's not really important....but it do :o
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Here's Kevin Halls new study with ultra-processed foods, I don't think this has been linked yet?
    https://osf.io/preprints/nutrixiv/w3zh2

WOW that study is insane! I would honestly stab myself after a single day on the ultra processed diet--just scrolling through the pictures makes me feel like heaving. (I would be down with the PB&J and the Egg McMuffin type thing, however, and I have the liquid scrambled eggs every morning from our cafeteria at work but they seem fine to me). That diet is nasty!

However, I have to note, they really tipped the scales toward one particular subset of ultra-processed food.
    They did not include vegetarian or protein-heavy, organic frozen dinners full of veggies, 100% whole grain bread, pizza loaded down with veggies, fruits at every meal canned in LIGHT syrup, frozen veggie burgers on whole grain buns, pasta with sauce very heavy on an assortment of veg, etc. all of which fall under the ultra processed rubric because they have additives to extend shelf life and come in fancy packaging that give the appearance of healthfulness. Also, what was the canned corn doing in there? That's not ultra-processed.

Still, I can believe that the less-processed diet would handily beat out the ultraprocessed diet on weight management.

This did catch my attention from the fasted blood testing:

"Interestingly, the appetite-suppressing hormone PYY increased during the unprocessed diet as compared with both the ultra-processed diet and baseline. In contrast, the hunger hormone ghrelin was decreased during the unprocessed diet compared to baseline."

I think the bolded is key! It seems like the word "ultraprocessed" was coined as a way to separate "good" processed food from "bad" processed food, but as it's no more clearly defined than processed or clean, it still comes down to an individual or a research group or a study picking and choosing what foods fall under the umbrella based I suspect on what they want to be true. It's hard NOT to assume they didn't include the foods you listed because they knew it would lead to a conclusion that wasn't dramatic enough.

I guess you could say... If someone ate a diet that was 100% ultraprocessed food with no attention paid to the calories or nutrition in any of this food, they would most likely be eating an unhealthy diet and feel like crap. I'm not sure that statement is really useful though :wink:

I had to go back and check the NOVA definition again. There is a lot of room for decent nutrition in this space:

"When products made solely of group 1 or group 3 foods also contain cosmetic or sensory intensifying additives, such as plain yoghurt with added artificial sweeteners, and breads with added emulsifiers, they are classified here in group 4."

I am definitely going to show those pictures to my 12 year old daughter, however. She really gravitates towards the nasty beige ultra-processed food group. (And she recently got braces, which is not helpful whatsoever, because it knocked out nuts).

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    While I agree that there is not a terribly large amount of room for ultra-processed foods in a nutrient-dense, healthy diet, my hackles just rise when I see things like "ice cream" and "burgers" wrapped in there. When I make ice cream, it is cream, milk, sugar, salt and egg yolks, plus whatever fruit is growing in my yard--strawberries, blackberries, peaches, rhubarb. Burgers are just ground beef, eggs, maybe some breadcrumbs, and spices.

One of the problems is the 'ultra-processing" of the research into the media that is actually consumed by most Americans. This pablum is as bad for your mind as blocks of Velveeta are for your body.* So you get people saying that ALL pizza, ice cream, burgers, fries, cookies, etc. are OF THE DEVIL!!!**, when the researchers are just pointing out the hyperpalatable goods that have been pumped full of additives and stripped of many nutrients and fiber, not the fries etc. that you make at home just by, you know, slicing potatoes and crisping them in some olive oil.

Understand 100% what you are saying, but to be honest, what % of the ice cream in the US is made as you describe, maybe 2% at best? So for the vast majority, ice cream is ultra-processed and as you say probably not a whole lot of room in a nutrient dense, healthy diet.

Well, there is a wide variety of ice creams available. I pulled out a Talenti in my freezer, and it has: milk, sugar, cream, skim milk, dextrose, vanilla extract, glucose, carob gum, vanilla beans, and lemon zest. Still seems pretty decent to me, as opposed to the fake stuff one gets at McD's or Dairy Queen. But oh no: it's in fancy packaging!! And has, like a couple of additives! Thus it is of the devil!!

If my ice cream, hand-harvested by unicorns and stored in my special overpriced Williams Sonoma container is aceeptable, where exactly does Talenti cross the line and become of the devil? Is it in the fancy packaging? or in the several additives, and if the latter, what is the exact mechanism by which they become satanic? What if I walk down the street to the ice cream shop that makes their own with only the purest ingredients?

Also, I just get sick of the kinds of people that say every spoon of sugar is of the devil (and I can assure you my ice cream has many a spoon of sugar) so I am abusing my children even with unicorn harvested ice cream because sugar = ultra-processed.

It's the whole Manichean dichotomy of good vs. evil that is just very annoying.

The real danger, as we know, is eating too much of any kind of ice cream, to the exclusion of other nutrients and to the detriment of ones weight.

Exactly. My favorite peppermint ice cream has fewer ingredients than the chicken that I made this evening.
    Cream, Milk, Cane Sugar, Non Fat Milk Solids, Organic Egg Yolks, Peppermint Candy (Cane Sugar, Organic Peppermint Oil, Lecithin), R.R. Lochhead® Vanilla, Organic Peppermint Oil, Vegetable Color

When I make peppermint ice cream at home i has almost all of those things, save for the non-fat milk solids, lecithin and vegetable color. Meanwhile my chicken had chicken thighs, lemon juice, olive oil, sumac, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, salt, pepper, and red onion.

One could argue that the chicken dish was processed more, or at the very least had the bigger carbon footprint, than any ice cream I make at home. The olive oil alone would take care of the processing bit, and I can't imagine any of the spices were grown in the US, let alone in the NW or in Oregon more specifically. The lemon? Also not local, though probably from California.

And then there's the ever maligned sausage. The bratwurst from a Olympia Provisions (which is local to me):
    pork, pork fat, water, dry milk powder, less than 2% of: salt, dried vinegar, cultured dextrose, spices, black pepper, nutmeg, pork casing

I mean ok - what are "spices" and why isn't nutmeg included in that designation, but otherwise that's pretty benign. I looked up the ingredients that are in the Johnsonville precooked bratwurst and they're nearly the same. Compare that to the Tofurky beer brat sausages that sit nearby in the chilled cabinet at the grocery store:
    Water, vital wheat gluten, expeller pressed canola oil, organic tofu (water, organic soybeans, magnesium chloride, calcium chloride), onions, soy flour, full sail amber ale (water, malted barley, hops, yeast), contains less than 2% of sea salt, cane sugar, spices, dehydrated onion, granulated garlic, garlic puree, carrageenan, dextrose, konjac, potassium chloride.

Also not awful by any means, but a heck of a lot more processed.

None of these things are the devil incarnate and all of these things can fit into one's calorie allowance.
    While meat does tend to have a big carbon footprint (more so beef than chicken), to say things have a higher carbon footprint just because they're grown far away isn't necessarily true. There's the consideration that foods grown in a climate that are more productive require less inputs, and combined with efficient commodities freight hauling like railroad and boat, could have a lower footprint than locally grown that had to use higher inputs because of the environment and particularly if transported largely via a vehicle like a pick up truck.

What I was referring to was choosing to use spices and produce that, necessarily, had to be grown outside of my region vs ones that didn't have to. That's different than choosing to buy non-existent locally grown cinnamon that would have taken quite a lot of resources to produce.

So say, choosing to make the dish I did vs making a chicken dish with rosemary, garlic, and sage, All of the produce in the second option grow very locally to me (I'm pretty sure the only one I'd have to buy is garlic, and that grows well here), but it would be a totally different dish.