Anyone else get irritated when they see people lose weight super fast.

Options
13»

Replies

• palmerb2
    palmerb2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind some of them may have had weight loss surgery to aid in that loss and may have not made it public. I had the surgery in October and technically a slow loser but I've lost 46 lbs since then. Others that had it around the same time have lost a lot more then I have and some less than me. Everyone's journey is different though. I wouldn't focus on them and just stay proud of your accomplishments and keep up the great work.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    No. I assume they are on some fad diet, and I'll see them back up at their starting weight or worse soon.

^Ditto^ I also wonder how much muscle they have compromised to lose weight that fast.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don’t feel jealous, but I do worry for their health, particularly if it’s someone from my generation (old).

One thing I’ve learnt over the last few years is that fast weight loss is harder to sustain (so rebounds are more likely) and risks losing muscle mass.

If I’d lost my first 50lbs at half the rate I did, I’d have been in much better shape by the time I hit my initial goal weight. As it was, I looked half dead and it took me 2 years to get back to full fitness/strength.

• MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    IDK...I guess I lost weight pretty quickly. Are you irritated by me? Also, just because someone loses weight quickly doesn't mean it's all water or they'll gain it all right back again.

Not irritated at anyone...
    Irritated at myself and my body..

• MeganReid1991
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better it's taken me 5 years to lose 150lb and I still have 80lb to go so likely another 2 years.

Could I have gotten it off faster? Sure but I've had fun living life along they way and having a son who's life wasn't possible at my heaviest

No one reaches the grave regretting that they didn't lose weight fast enough

Enjoy your journey hun

& thank you I have been enjoying my journey it’s just hard sometimes to embrace that my journey will be longer. But I also want to make sure I can maintain this lifestyle forever.
    It’s a balance of wanting the weight off but not wanting to make my miserable doing it..

• MeganReid1991
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I'll congratulate them. Realistically speaking, I have no way of knowing that they won't keep the weight off even though personal experience (myself and others) suggests otherwise.

I just don't see a reason to discourage someone who recognizes that they need to do something about their weight. I will speak up though if I have reason to believe that what they're doing may cause actual long term harm though. That's usually only if they initiate the conversation though, usually....

I definitely congratulate them as well! In no way shape or form did I mean that I hold it against them personally
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    No. I assume they are on some fad diet, and I'll see them back up at their starting weight or worse soon.

^Ditto^ I also wonder how much muscle they have compromised to lose weight that fast.

I always wonder how much pizza they didn't eat :cry:
  • MeganReid1991
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. I know I should not let it bother me but I cannot help it. The way I see it is that I could have been done with the weight loss portion by now had I not strayed off my path in the beginning. I originally set a goal to reach my goal weight in one year from 200 lbs to 125 lbs. I reached 148 lbs by the end of 2018 and projected to take another 4-5 months to get to my goal which I am honestly upset about. Thing is I am eating 1,200 calories a day and do not plan on going any lower so I assume my TDEE is just not that high. I never lost at a rate of 2 lbs a week when I *should* have (back at my starting weight). Nothing I can do about it.

On the positive side, I have ingrained better eating habits along the way and I'm very confident I will not have trouble maintaining. I HAVE lost a significant amount of weight which I do realize and am proud of. If I could make it so it doesn't bother me I would but sadly it does (and I KNOW comparing our progress is not a smart idea). I'll get to my goal eventually!

Thank you I feel this!
    I know for me stress is a huge factor in why I’m not losing weight quicker but it’s just hard sometimes
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    So I’ve lost around 23 pounds sense June. I’m very proud of myself, I still have to lose about 40 pounds to lose.
    But I’m not going to lie it’s been extremely hard when I see other girls losing 40-50 pounds in 5 months. It seems everywhere I look woman are losing tons of weight super quickly.
    I know that I’ve done this in a very healthy way I dunno I just get discouraged when I see how slow my journey is going.

In my experience, there are two kinds of people who lose weight quickly. The first would be the very obese/morbidly obese who have a tremendous amount of weight to lose and the fat stores to support rapid weight loss. The second would be people who are basically starving themselves and spending countless hour in the gym exercising and substantially underfeeding themselves.

I had no issue with losing my 40 Lbs over the course of about 7-8 months. My calorie deficit was easily maintainable and I was never super hungry when I was dieting and even enjoyed meals out, parties at friends' houses, pool side bbqs, etc. Also, while I enjoy regular exercise, I have a whole bunch of other interests and hobbies and have no interest in spending all of my free time in the gym trying to burn a bunch of calories. Beyond that, along the way I developed a lot of healthy habits that have made almost 6 years of maintenance a breeze. Most people who lose a lot of weight very quickly just put it back on just as fast.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I lost a bunch of weight three years ago and it came off pretty fast 1-2 pounds a week. I gained it back. This time I am doing things a bit differently and it may be a little slower going but I don't feel like I am denying myself all the time. If I go over my goal by a few calories of even eat at maintenance for a day, I am trying to look at that as success, not how fast I can lose.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »
    I am not irritated. Seeing my co-workers lose weight it actually motivates me. If they can do it, so can I.

I'm the same -- that's actually what motivated me to start back when I first did.

With respect to how others are losing, I don't talk numbers with people off-line. No desire to do that at all. But when it comes to perception of how fast others are losing, it also can be distorted by the fact that you all of a sudden notice or you don't see them for a while or the like. I had several people act as if I'd just lost it all instantaneously, and it was like "no, you haven't seen me for a while" or sometimes I lost enough that I got new clothes that made the weight loss more obvious.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    I'll congratulate them. Realistically speaking, I have no way of knowing that they won't keep the weight off even though personal experience (myself and others) suggests otherwise.

I just don't see a reason to discourage someone who recognizes that they need to do something about their weight. I will speak up though if I have reason to believe that what they're doing may cause actual long term harm though. That's usually only if they initiate the conversation though, usually....

I definitely congratulate them as well! In no way shape or form did I mean that I hold it against them personally
    I didn't mean for my post to imply that you would, apologies if it did. It was just a general comment on the topic. :)
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm not jealous or upset with others that lose weight faster. More than likely they are not losing weight sustainably and will therefore go back to old habits and gain it back. I've lost 40lbs in a little over a year and that's a nice steady pace for me.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I think as long as they don't question why I'm losing weight so "slowly", they can do them and I'll tell them "good job". I probably won't take any advice they might offer as seriously though, because with their rate of loss I could see it not being sustainable for me.