Less Alcohol - February 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Lessons learned along the way...you cannot make someone else happy, and they cannot make you happy. "Happy" comes from inside yourself, realizing that you have worth, even if surrounded by others who don't see it. Set your own life goals and work toward them and rejoice in your progress. Tiny goals ? Tiny steps ? Tiny accomplishments ?
    Any goal, improving your health, upgrading your lot in life, improving your relationships, [less alcohol can help with those three !!], aiding those less fortunate, saving stray animals...
    It's all about you, after all. You are the ONLY person you can change.

Sermon from Greatgramma over now.
    AF day #9
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,554 Member
    Options
    Goal: 4AF days per week. It is a short month.

February 1 - 3 drinks
    February 2 - AF
    February 3 - 3 drinks - Superbowl was boring this year. I have to rack up some AF days!
    February 4 - AF
    February 5 - AF
    February 6 - AF
    February 7 - 3 drinks
    February 8 - AF, but was planning on some champagne in the bubble bath. I had such a nice dinner that I didn't have any calories left for champagne - heavy whipping cream chicken pesto with linguine. Lots of calories, but all within my range for the day.
    February 9 - AF
    February 10 - 3 drinks
    February 11 - AF
    February 12 - AF
    February 13
    February 14
    February 15
    February 16
    February 17
    February 18
    February 19
    February 20
    February 21
    February 22
    February 23
    February 24
    February 25
    February 26
    February 27
    February 28

Running tab: 8 AF days out of 12 days - need at least 8 more AF days to hit my goal for the month.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    Options
    WOW.....some great discussions going on in here today.

@cmorris30316 I am doing a completely dry February. I did a dry January and that went well. No real reason, event or occasion that is in February that I feel a need to drink at.

@mainelylisa you will need to give us the link to your new blog from the sample writing you gave us the other day. "Please" 😁
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    You're doing amazing! Brunch without Mimosas is HUGE. Let us know some of your outside strategies, as we're all heading into summer...it's coming...eventually, right? I've got to figure out how to enjoy outdoor things without alcohol (I've come to accept my "hold" button often--ok, usually-- doesn't work). I'm supposed to go ice fishing soon--eeek! Have you done that? I've heard you freeze and stare into a hole waiting for a fish. No wonder people drink. I just can't see me taking my teapot into a fishing hut. Or can I??? Let me see if there's a Youtube channel called Tea on Ice.

Thanks @mainelylisa Yes I think hot tea in a thermos or on a little burner in the ice fishing hut sounds like a great idea! Good luck!
    Where I fish South Texas (it is already warmer and never ice / sometimes snow) we are out in boats to fish without alcohol which is a good thing. It is just that sunset time that gets to us looking out over the water at the end of the day. Not buying wine or hard alcohol for mixed drinks should help. We have beer in the fridge and I drink fewer of them. We'll see. Appreciate the encouragement!
  • Lilylady3k
    edited February 2019
    Options
    February accountability ~13 days so far
    No Alcohol: 10 days
    Alcohol: 3 days (7 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month
    You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell

Including the last few days of January to monitor my weekly goal which I surpassed!
    Jan 28 - AF
    Jan 29 - AF ! Yeah me! Dining Out group.
    Jan 30 - AF Office celebration mexican restaurant without margaritas
    Jan 31 - Planned 2 but kept to 1 glass wine! Celebrating retirement from company after 30 years
    Feb 1 - AF
    Feb 2 - AF Brunch without mimosas
    Feb 3 - AF

Hit my target of 4 AF days per week again! This is getting easier. It is all about balancing my life choices.
    Feb 4 - AF
    Feb 5 - AF - I wanted a bottle of wine but we didn’t buy it.
    Feb 6 - AF - DH wanted a bottle of wine but we passed.
    Feb 7 - Bunco: 2 glasses wine (planned for 1 but poured myself a 2nd out of habit)
    Feb 8 - 2 glasses wine
    Feb 9 - AF
    Feb 10 - AF

Feb 11 - AF
    Feb 12 - AF
    Feb 13 - 3 glasses wine. DD moving day. DD’s thank you for us caring for their dog for 3 days while they packed and then helping with the move all day … was wine, pizza & Randazzo’s king cake. DH & my first date Feb 13 seems like a zillion years ago.
    Feb 14 -
    Feb 15 - At our fishing camp for next 3 days overlooking the water. One of my favorite times is sitting outside in the evenings for drinks with family & neighbors. Need to determine how to hold my consumption to 1 or 2. Great time to practice before summer.
    Feb 16 -
    Feb 17 -
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

February 1 - 3 drinks
    February 2 - AF
    February 3 - 3 drinks - Superbowl was boring this year. I have to rack up some AF days!
    February 4 - AF
    February 5 - AF
    February 6 - AF
    February 7 - 3 drinks
    February 8 - AF, but was planning on some champagne in the bubble bath. I had such a nice dinner that I didn't have any calories left for champagne - heavy whipping cream chicken pesto with linguine. Lots of calories, but all within my range for the day.
    February 9 - AF
    February 10 - 3 drinks
    February 11 - AF
    February 12 - AF
    February 13 - 3 drinks
    February 14
    February 15
    February 16
    February 17
    February 18
    February 19
    February 20
    February 21
    February 22
    February 23
    February 24
    February 25
    February 26
    February 27
    February 28

Running tab: 8 AF days out of 13 days - need at least 8 more AF days to hit my goal for the month.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    @mabelsdaddy Great job on making changes in your life! I was drinking too much and dedcided a dry Jan for me and the positives in my life outweighed drinking for me. Feb I drank super bowl and will enjoy a bottle of wine with my hubby tonight. I am feeling so much better, working out harder, sleeping better etc.

Great free app called insight timer that goes through meditations for anxiety etc. awesome!
  • Sub4_2018
    Sub4_2018 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @mabelsdaddy - Going to bed earlier helped me out a ton! During Dry January I started consistently going to bed at 9, and then getting up between 5-6 to run. Not only did it make my morning runs so much better (and more consistent), but it cut out a significant amount of hours that would normally be spent with a drink in my hand.
  • mabelsdaddy
    mabelsdaddy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sub4_2018 wrote: »
    @mabelsdaddy - Going to bed earlier helped me out a ton! During Dry January I started consistently going to bed at 9, and then getting up between 5-6 to run. Not only did it make my morning runs so much better (and more consistent), but it cut out a significant amount of hours that would normally be spent with a drink in my hand.

Awesome!!!! This is the purpose of going to bed early! But surprisingly it's been pretty easy to say no. I would drink a 6 pack 3-5 times a week for 3 years, and for me to drink very little is nice. I never know how awful it made me feel even if i didn't have a hangover, i had that terrible taste in my mouth and a light headache. Pretty thankful i stopped when i did.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Options

February 1 - 3 drinks
    February 2 - AF
    February 4 - AF
    February 5 - AF
    February 6 - AF
    February 7 - 3 drinks
    February 9 - AF
    February 10 - 3 drinks
    February 11 - AF
    February 12 - AF
    February 13 - 3 drinks
    February 14 - AF
    February 15
    February 16
    February 17
    February 18
    February 19
    February 20
    February 21
    February 22
    February 23
    February 24
    February 25
    February 26
    February 27
    February 28

Running tab: 9 AF days out of 14 days - need at least 7 more AF days to hit my goal for the month.

Mulled wine day at my house coming up on Saturday the 16th - central hub for a local winter event - people from out of town will be hanging at my place around the hot wine in between events. Over the space of a day I am going to do my darndest to keep it to 3, but we will see how cold it is and how it plays out.
  • Lilylady3k
    Options
    Non-drinking days are out weighing the days I drink! 14 days left in the month and I only need 6 more days to hit my monthly goal. Hopefully last week's really good AF week will help compensate for this week and next.

February accountability ~14 days so far
    No Alcohol: 10 days
    Alcohol: 4 days (9 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month
    You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell

Including the last few days of January to monitor my weekly goal which I surpassed!
    Jan 28 - AF
    Jan 29 - AF ! Yeah me! Dining Out group.
    Jan 30 - AF Office celebration mexican restaurant without margaritas
    Jan 31 - Planned 2 but kept to 1 glass wine! Celebrating retirement from company after 30 years
    Feb 1 - AF
    Feb 2 - AF Brunch without mimosas
    Feb 3 - AF

Hit my target of 4 AF days per week again! This is getting easier. It is all about balancing my life choices.
    Feb 4 - AF
    Feb 5 - AF - I wanted a bottle of wine but we didn’t buy it.
    Feb 6 - AF - DH wanted a bottle of wine but we passed.
    Feb 7 - Bunco: 2 glasses wine (planned for 1 but poured myself a 2nd out of habit)
    Feb 8 - 2 glasses wine
    Feb 9 - AF
    Feb 10 - AF

Feb 11 - AF
    Feb 12 - AF
    Feb 13 - 3 glasses wine. DD moving day. DD’s thank you for us caring for their dog for 3 days while they packed and then helping with the move all day … was wine, pizza & Randazzo’s king cake. DH & my first date Feb 13 seems like a zillion years ago.
    Feb 14 - 2 beers sunset at the fishing camp grilling steaks
    Feb 15 - At our fishing camp for next 3 days overlooking the water. One of my favorite times is sitting outside in the evenings for drinks with family & neighbors. Need to determine how to hold my consumption to 1 or 2. Great time to practice before summer.
    Feb 16 -
    Feb 17 -
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    Morning!

After dry January and my mishap on Super Bowl Sunday, I was hesitant on drinking wine yesterday with my husband on Valentine’s Day. He could have cared a less if I drank or not, thus, no pressure. I have had a pretty much dry February as well. I changed my attitude knowing that my limit was two glasses and that’s that! I enjoyed my two glasses and didn’t want more, which is a huge win. I was mindful of my drinking and didn’t want to go down a bad path. It feels great to feel responsible and not let alcohol control the night. I am going back to AF reiterate my healthy habits!

I am going to workout this morning and golf with husband this afternoon. Awesome, feel great!
  • mabelsdaddy
    Options
    2/1: 3 drinks
    2/2: AF
    2/3: 1 drink
    2/4: AF
    2/5: AF
    2/6: 1 Beer.
    2/7: 6 beers, 2 shots and frustration
    2/8: AF
    2/9: Um, went to a rock concert...so too much to count :)
    2/10: AF
    2/11: 2 beers
    2/12: AF
    2/13: AF
    2/14: a 6 pack basically. Felt amazing after a workout, could fit into my favorite shirt again and walked into a bar where my ex would be...hoping she would see me. Was pretty stupid. I drank 3 there, went home and had a couple more...got tired and didn't want to drink anymore. Went to bed about 10 and woke up at 5:50, felt amazing...so i'll take it.
  • mabelsdaddy
    Options
    Sub4_2018 wrote: »
    I had 2 glasses of wine last night, slept through my alarm this morning, and woke up with a bit of a headache. I had the best night last night and was so proud of sticking to two glasses, but waking up this morning was frustrating. I joked with my husband that the wine gods are punishing me from taking time away, lol. No harm done, I'll get my workout in over lunch today, but it was a reminder that I sleep better and get up easier when I stay dry.

I'm with you on this. Glad you enjoyed last night, and nice on not letting it get away from you!