why do some people only eat the egg whites, not the whole eg

Options
Is the yolk bad for you?

Replies

• jess_austin
    Options
    its not bad for you per se its just that there is a large amount of cholosterol in the yolk so some people choose not to eat it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    No food is "bad" for you.

The yolk has a higher calorie and cholesterol count than the white, so people like body builders who are super-precise about their intake will try to get as much protein for as little calories (hence just the white).

But there's nothing wrong with eating the whole egg, if it fits in with your daily goals.
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Also some people are lactose intolerant and find that egg whites are easier to digest
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    it's not that its bad for you, but it is very calorie dense. an egg white only has 17 calories where as a whole egg has closer to 80.
    When I eat eggs I use one whole egg and then bulk it up with extra whites.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It's actually very GOOD for you. But people overreact about the calories and cholesterol. People who disregard the yolk are cheating themselves out of some great nutrient-dense food. :frown:
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Since ive moved over to do calorie counting instead of slimming world I was shocked to find out that an egg has quite alot of fat in it, hence why some people do not eat the yolk.
    I used to eat alot of eggs when i was doing slimming world but now i hardly ever have them although i do like them occasionally & they are good for you in moderation xxx
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The yolk isn't bad for you, it just adds more fat/calories. So if I want a lower calorie meal or snack with some protein I'll have a couple eggwhites. They used to say that too many whole eggs was bad for your cholesterol, but they have kind of retracted that claim. It's all in the balance.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It's got cholesterol and fat, and some people shy away from that. Used to be believed that dietary cholesterol is what raised your blood cholesterol, but it's not.
  • fuzzycop
    fuzzycop Posts: 14
    Options
    One egg yolk contains ~250 mg of cholesterol. Most cardiologists recommend that you only consume that much cholesterol from eggs once per week, if you have a cholesterol problem known as hypercholesterolemia or hyperlipidemia.
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The yolk gives me crazy indigestion. That's the only reason I don't eat them.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol and I like the lower calories too. I can eat more.
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options
    I only eat the white bit cos don't like the yellow bit :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    though i hate eggs, i'll eat them for protein, and was just wondering why anyone would waste a perfectly good egg.
    the fat/cholesterol that you find in an egg logically seems like a better choice vs. the fat you would get from some over-processed foods
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Other than in omelettes, I only eat the yolk! :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I do it because it's fewer calories.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Also some people are lactose intolerant and find that egg whites are easier to digest

Eggs don't have lactose
  • rml_16
    Options

Eggs don't have lactose

Ah, the old "eggs are dairy, aren't they?" issue. :-)

Also, I wanted to say I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your dog!!! My parents had a white Germanb shepherd when I was born (she died when I was 7). Best freaking dog ever.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    It is immoral to eat something that could have been a lifeform. Would you eat an aborted fetus?

LOL...ok, this is actually funny never thought of it that way...lol...thanks for that as I sit eating my egg whites.

I eat only the whites because I don't like the taste of the yolk...yucky..also I can have 6 whites for 102 cal and 22 grams of protein so it fills me up in the morning...mmmm....lots of fetus' down the drain....that just can't be good.....damn I am having a hard time eating my eggs now...eeewwww
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Ok if Eggs are a good source of protein, Then why does it say 0 for protein on MFP?? I ate 3 Eggs this morning. Just curious
    as to the protein in them,
  • rml_16
    Options
    It is immoral to eat something that could have been a lifeform. Would you eat an aborted fetus?

LOL...ok, this is actually funny never thought of it that way...lol...thanks for that as I sit eating my egg whites.

I eat only the whites because I don't like the taste of the yolk...yucky..also I can have 6 whites for 102 cal and 22 grams of protein so it fills me up in the morning...mmmm....lots of fetus' down the drain....that just can't be good.....damn I am having a hard time eating my eggs now...eeewwww

If it makes you feel better, they aren't fetuses since they weren't fertilized. :-) You're eating the chicken's period.