Lent

Options

Replies

• samiam4114
    samiam4114 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    samiam4114 wrote: »
    Last year instead of giving up something, I incorporated saying a rosary a day. Best Lenten season to date :)

I like this idea. I’m not Catholic anymore, but when I was, a priest I really respected spoke about not treating Lent as a time of punishment but as an opportunity to improve ourselves by adding a healthy, loving, or giving habit.

Edit because it read as though I used to be a priest. :)

That's what I wanted to do as well. I wanted to celebrate the season instead of going with the "i'm giving up candy/soda/sweets" when I really don't have enough to warrant it being anything to give up! Saying that daily rosary was amazing. Felt closer than any church pew honestly, which was incredible. Thinking of doing that again this year. :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    samiam4114 wrote: »
    Last year instead of giving up something, I incorporated saying a rosary a day. Best Lenten season to date :)

I like this idea. I’m not Catholic anymore, but when I was, a priest I really respected spoke about not treating Lent as a time of punishment but as an opportunity to improve ourselves by adding a healthy, loving, or giving habit.

Edit because it read as though I used to be a priest. :)

Heh, I read it that way at first, even after the edit (it's clear, I just read wrong). ;-)

For me, I like to do both (almost always introduce some additional prayer practice, although often with the idea of seeing if it's something I will keep up afterwards too), and think of both as ways to improve myself (not punishment at all). With giving something up, sometimes it's about just living a slightly simpler life, plainer life, but also sometimes if I go to grab something or do something and realize, no can't, it's an opportunity to think about why. I alternate between giving up something as more of a discipline or way to mark the period of time (for example, I like having meatless periods of the year and think of it as rooted in tradition) and giving up something I'm struggling with both as a way to work on that and to note that I don't need it as a crutch (the anger one that someone mentioned is a good one there, or the internet or shopping for non-essentials, especially if someone uses those to distract themselves -- spend the time doing something more positive or realizing you don't need the distraction, so on).

Hope that's not too much -- I think it's an interesting topic and interesting to see how others approach it.
  • Lazy_Bones_1985
    Lazy_Bones_1985 Posts: 49 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I’m not a religious or spiritual person but enjoy the challenge, if you will, of giving something up during Lent. But I really like the ideas of adding something to my routine that will be a challenge. I also like the idea of limiting my time on Facebook (I trade and swap my workshifts in a work group on Facebook so giving it up entirely wouldn’t be possible) but I could limit my time on it. I’ll think about it some more; please keep the ideas coming.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Since lent is based on sacrifice I’ll give up on something I feel like I know I’ll struggle with, so coffee, and for material- not sure yet maybe giving up make up that’s the only materialistic thing I use daily that I enjoy.
  • atgnat1
    atgnat1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There's some great ideas in here. I'm not Catholic but I have grandparents and aunts and uncles who are and so Lent has always been a part of my life as just something I do on my own. Even aside from the religious aspects it feels great to set aside a period of time like this for self improvement and self reflection.

In addition to reading the Bible daily I'm planning to give up diet cokes because I really have started to dislike how addicted I feel, they're probably something like 70% of my fluid intake at this point. I'll be replacing it with unsweet tea (unfortunately too weak willed to give up caffeine COMPLETELY...) but I hope this is a change that will last more than 40 days.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Lent 2009 was my introduction to intermittent fasting because that was my chosen Lenten sacrifice. To make it sacrificial, I strive to have a 22 hour fasting period as many days as possible.

Lost 17 lbs. and learned a valuable lesson. Don’t eat big when ending a long-duration fast.

This Lent? Well, I’m an IF practitioner so choosing fasting isn’t sacrificial enough. Maybe I’ll give up being annoyed by my “secret admirers” here who frequently woo me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    this thread has made me think that i want to give something up for lent... just not sure what....
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    this thread has made me think that i want to give something up for lent... just not sure what....

Indecisiveness? :D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Indecisiveness? :D

:laugh:
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up ten minutes sleep, got up slightly earlier and made sure I read the bible every morning before I left the house. Sadly my habits have now slipped again so I think I'll be instigating this again.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I commit to eating at fish fries every Friday. It's the reason I love lent. I give up nothing and eat fried fish sandwiches and fries every Friday for several weeks lol
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    In my first year at uni I gave up alcohol for lent. I'm thinking I might do the same this year, that said I don't drink that munch anyway, so maybe I'll do something more challenging
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Alcohol?

You are supposed to already give up alcohol, except for communion wine. Sex too. But one's level of orthodoxy may vary.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    I was raised Catholic, now atheist (and quite anti-Catholic-Church tbh) but I am considering doing something for Lent this year when I don't usually. I don't like the idea of Lent as penance or as some test of willpower but I do like the idea of using it for some conscious self improvement.

Practicing gratitude? Donating £10-15 to a chosen charity each week? I'm already trying to limit my drinking for other reasons so the long-established Wine Fund could go to better use that way.

This. Except I don't drink.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Alcohol?

You are supposed to already give up alcohol, except for communion wine. Sex too. But one's level of orthodoxy may vary.

Orthodox may be, that's not a Catholic practice. (Looks like the sex thing is debated within Orthodoxy!)

A good friend of mine is Greek Orthodox so I knew about the food/drink rules, which are much stricter than anything Catholics currently do by requirement, but didn't know the sex bit.