ECA stack and fish oil to shrink fat cells and build more lean muscle???

Options
I share an office with a lady whom I FINALLY convinced to start a lifting program instead of just exercise bike and lifting 5lb dumbells once a week. She wants to lose weight and gain muscle, so I finally got her to do an actual lifting program, so thats great. But now shes an "expert" and keeps informing me I need to start ECA stacking to shrink fat cells and fish oil to build lean muscle, and BCAAs are also needed. And I need protein shakes in the morning. Shes one that wont listen to me so I smile and nod, but seriously, we get free inbody scans at work and we are almost the same height, weight, and body type. My in body scan says I have 4lbs of fat to lose, and have more muscle than that machine says is ideal/recommended. hers however says she has like 30lbs of fat to lose, and 15lbs of muscle to gain to be Ideal.

Im seriously glad shes taking steps in the right direction, but all she talks about is a bunch "woo" and why I need it and how shes gained so much muscle since starting 3 weeks ago.

Anyways, that was long winded, but Im just curious if anyone in here does the ECA stack, and what the actual benefits (if any) are. (and no I have zero intentions of doing it, ive just never heard of it until now)

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    I suspect your friend was contaminated by bad advice from some fitness trainer. If ECA (ephedra, caffeine, aspirin) "shrank" fat cells and caused weight loss, do you really think any of us would still be here?

Shes a victim of the internet "fitness experts"

What ephedra is she taking? I thought that was banned in the US now but I see the legal status is complicated. Does she know about the gastrointestinal, psychiatric, and autonomic side effects?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What ephedra is she taking? I thought that was banned in the US now but I see the legal status is complicated. Does she know about the gastrointestinal, psychiatric, and autonomic side effects?
    Ephedra is illegal if sold as a dietary supplement. But the main active ingredient, ephedrine, is available OTC. I suspect that's what people use in the stack.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I feel ya on the woo co workers.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,789 Member
    Options
    I suspect your friend was contaminated by bad advice from some fitness trainer. If ECA (ephedra, caffeine, aspirin) "shrank" fat cells and caused weight loss, do you really think any of us would still be here?

she uses bronkaid. I told her about the risks, she just shot me down. oh well. She gets fixated on things and will not listen to anyone, but usually it only lasts a few weeks, so she will probably stop it soon.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

she uses bronkaid. I told her about the risks, she just shot me down. oh well. She gets fixated on things and will not listen to anyone, but usually it only lasts a few weeks, so she will probably stop it soon.

Unless she crashes and burns first.

Good for you for trying to steer her in the right direction. All you can do now is nod, smile, and tiptoe away...
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I say cheer her on but let her find her way. She’ll stumble and learn like we all have. That’s good learning. Focus on yourself but do cheer her on while you plug your nose and hold your breath when she utters someone else’s nonsense.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The ephedra/caffeine combo won't do anything useful but it can for darn sure give you irregular heartbeats. When I was working in a stable in college I took ephedrine-containing meds all the time for allergies, and had to stop because of pvcs. Caffeine makes it worse. Not fun!