WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2019

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Lenora dear – you sure have had your share of bad luck! You know, it sounds to me like you may be overmedicated. But I know what a catch 22 it can be. You may very well have more seizures without them, but they are (possibly) causing you to fall. You’d most likely fall when you had a seizure but you’ll fall without having a seizure. ((((HUGS HUGS HUGS)))

Michele
    Whose legs are no longer ghost white
    [/quote]

Louis sure is an angel, you are so lucky to have him. He took me off one of my Seroquel and I have been less sleepy and the Neurologist took me off Dilantin.

I wish my legs were no longer white and dry. But, Trey is not going to be able to do so until the motor is replaced. Jenn's half-sister's husband wants our hot tub; and as soon as he does the work, we'll give it to him. I wish he would put in a salt water pump and also take out the liner and smooth out the sand underneath it - but, I am not holding my breath.

Oh, when I was talking about the 'flip' houses I did not mean to say 3x the cost down here; I meant to say they'd be 1/3rd (or less) down here. But, in Chicago and California, things cost a lot. I'm sure the pay scale is different as well to compensate for the costs of things up north. But, you can have ALL the snow! I like thinking I could and have wear/worn shorts in December. Our coldest months are probably January and a few days in February. I don't think anything about Pauatony 'groundhog'. I believe 'Spring has sprung' when the pecan trees start to bud out. I don't take my plants out of the greenhouse or buy any new one until that happens. The times I've done it, I've been so depressed.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I am stuck at 207. I can’t understand how this is possible at 750 or less carefully measured calories per day. I HAVE come up a bit short on fluids lately, but have yet to come up with a hot drink that is good without sweetener. Broth has calories, coffee has caffeine - a no-no - same for tea. And cold drinks are anathema right now. I try to down enough water, but feel nauseated after the first 20-30 ounces. I’ve started eating a lot of soups for that reason. My dietician appointment is next week. I’ll work on it.

Sharon, nearly frozen today Near Seattle[/quote]

Sharon - I count my calories in coffee, drinks (some caffeine) and tea (which I no longer drink); but, I also count them as part of my water/liquid intake as well. My dietician said I should.

Lenora
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Katla "...so I work on me...staying strong both physically and emotionally...doing something you enjoy ...can help you stay strong and bring you a bit of happieness" thank you for sharing your wisdom born from experience. You, Rori, Lanette, Machka, Barbie, Sue, KJ and all the others here are the best role models if ever that dread day comes. Please God, not!
    pip fainted but didn't know it??? Sure hope Kirby has long since dragged you to the ER and you're already feeling better.
    Mary from AZ great "file a claim on your father's estate" advice to Allie.
    Sharon "somehow more exercise has magically given me more energy" and "yen for sweets magically gone with this surgery" Hooray! You get being pip and I'll push!
    Felicia you must be very proud of your son's emotional understanding and maturity.
    Michele How could you drink something you choose without giving offence to your friend who is pushing you to drink what you do NOT want? Could you bring some special sparkling water or cider to your friend's house to share? If not, then to heck with giving offense. Ask for plain water instead of wine. (This from me who LOVES wine ;>)
    Tracey, we have a wood stove. Joe does all the work ;). He plans to split the logs and burn 'em after they've seasoned a year. We both love the look and smell, but really love the drying effect the wood stove has.
    NYKaren only Italian channels.. Oh the horror :laugh: Ah, foccacia! YUM! Pesto with green beans and pototoes sounds appealing. Was it served with pasta? Love the pics, thanks for sharing!
    Margaret, afraid the robo arms are a cost saving measure, less labor cost, less risk of workmen's compensation claims. Common sense gives way to $$.
    KJ "extremely wasteful society" true that. :noway: groceries prosecuting folk who steal their trash? Ridiculous. I've heard that once you put your trash out for pickup, it is no longer yours. That's why private investigators can go through it with impunity and police don't need search warrants. https://www.waste360.com/mag/waste_garbage_public_property
    Rita you are doing amazingly well!
    Katla does your plumber concur with the City's conclusions? Seems as though the city employees who worked on the water meter would have noticed the incorrect pvc connection and told you it had to be replaced with brass. Not to be paranoid, but if something worked that long, then stopped working after the city did something to the meter, I'd think that some kind of accidental damage occurred, like an employee dropping a tool on the pvc connector, or the meter surging too much pressure through it or. or. or... Does your City have an ombudsman? Hard to fight City Hall...
    Shannon minimum 10 minutes of exercise and sometimes another session or two "...improves my mood and I just feel better" YES! Well done!!!
    Heather you ROCK!

Welcome Nancyh58 "'wish I weighed that when I thought I was fat' weight." ROTLMAO ain't it da truth?
    Welcome Laurel in MN.
    Welcome Noegrand in MO, so sorry for your loss.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    It rained like a 'scalded dog' last night and it woke me up; Louis slept right through it. I am hoping it is warm enough to start cleaning out my studio. Yesterday would have been a good time to start - but Louis says he doesn't want me to unless I can carry things. There are a LOT of things I could carry. Now it is probably too wet to do so. Boo-Hoo!

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I am sorry that your registration system is so unpredictable. Are they having computer trouble? Personnel trouble? :huh:

Irish Terri: Thanks for your good wishes. We will be making an appointment with the water department soon. We are expected to take our repair bill along with us, and that hasn’t arrived yet. We’ve been told that the water department is likely to work with us to make the payments easier to manage, but we really have no idea how that will go. The good news is that we have water. The bad news is that we have to pay for the repair and the water that leaked. :ohwell:

Allie: I have hit many plateaus along the way. It is common. Just keep on measuring portion sizes, counting calories and eating the right things. Move more. Taking your dog for brisk walks is an excellent way to get that done if your sidewalks are snow and ice free. The plateau eventually ends and the weight drops. Let MFP set your calorie goals. :heart:

Lisa: We also use a Food Saver to vacuum seal foods that we freeze. This is the second one. We wore the first out. The quality of the food stays high for a very long time. We’ve never opened a package that has had freezer burn or other damage. :star:

Machka: I love the photo of you and your DG. Wonderful! :flowerforyou:

Lanette & Margaret: We are planning to take our repair bill into the city Water Department and have been told that they will do what they can to be helpful. We will see what that turns out to be. I hope our water department is as generous as yours. :star: I can’t tell you how great it is to have running water again!!! You probably already know about that. :smiley:

Rebecca: 1979v2019--:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tracey in Edmonton: Good luck! :smiley:

Pip: I regularly ride the recumbent bike at the gym. It is soooo much more comfortable for me that a two-wheel bike seat. Ouch! Everyone is different. :ohwell:

Sharon: I’m a retired teacher. My last assignment was US History for 8th graders. I worked at the elementary school level before that. Our history course covered the time period between the ice age & 1919. I enjoyed it after the first year of adjustments. The change from elementary school to middle school was quite a challenge that first year. I eventually learned how to deal with 8th graders and loved the assignment. :star:

Pip: “Actually I haven't heard of them. I am an organ donor, then I'll b burned and my ashes will b spread in a place of my choosing.” DH & I have a similar plan. We have our place picked out. Our plan is to have our ashes mixed & scattered from the cliff above the Pacific where we were married. We’ll also be including ashes of our dogs in that mix. :heart: I am an organ donor and they can have whatever they want. Because of DH’s autoimmune problems he can’t be a donor. :noway:

Barbara: :flowerforyou:

Heather: You are a lucky woman! I am so glad that your move is turning out so well. :heart:

DH has been having a lot of health problems lately and will be seeing his MS doctor soon. I plan to go along. He’s been very discouraged lately because of bowel problems. He is now talking about giving up our RV trip to see the kids, and sending me by air on my own. I am hoping we get a better plan than that and pray that his doctor can help him improve his situation. We’re planning to visit our attorney and have new wills drawn up. That is the smart thing to do and should have been done ages ago. :ohwell:

Katla in misty NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did 10MS Tone Trouble Zones DVD. Found out that it’s really not a good idea to do a band DVD at the clubhouse. It’s just too slippery and the band gets too wet. It’s a good place to do something aerobic, you just have to be careful. Also, I don’t like getting on the ground there, it’s just too dirty. The plan for tomorrow is to do Body By Bethany DVD (yoga). I can do this in the condo.

Rita – almost every day I’m over on carbs. I know a lot of that is because I eat fruits

Newcomers: got an email from Greg asking if two people were members. I didn’t recognize their names. Anyway, he was saying how he has to “activate” them. I just hope he doesn’t “activate” them giving them access to the website until we have their membership money. He’s so much into this. I haven’t gotten any applications from them. I told him that I guess it is possible that someone has it and just hasn’t given them to us yet. However, Adra is very good about scanning the applications in and I know Dianne would. I haven’t gotten any applications while I’ve been down here. Well, I’ll check in a few days to see if they are on the “new directory”

Went to church the back for dinner after being in the pool and laying in the sun. Actually, the pool isn't real refreshing. They seem to always keep the temp at 86. And with the sun down here beating down. But I'm sure the reason they keep it so warm is for people who have arthritis. Now just watching TV

Pip – the recumbent bikes at gyms usually have hard seats. That’s why I insisted to Vince when he bought one that it absolutely must have a soft seat and back

Lenora dear – you sure have had your share of bad luck! You know, it sounds to me like you may be overmedicated. But I know what a catch 22 it can be. You may very well have more seizures without them, but they are (possibly) causing you to fall. You’d most likely fall when you had a seizure but you’ll fall without having a seizure. ((((HUGS HUGS HUGS))). Louis sure is an angel, you are so lucky to have him

Sharon – you’re plans (PMS) sound really neat. That even saves the cost of cremation.

Michele
    Whose legs are no longer ghost white

actually, its the size of the seat, not the softness that kills me
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    well im back went and fed DFIL,,, that was a feat in itself..he was having none of it until Denise the nurse suggested ice cream.. He LOVES vanilla ice cream.. well bless his heart he chowed that down so we had the server give him very small bowls of both oatmeal(with his meds in it) and eggs... and we got that into him... and as promised he had another ice cream... well we will do what we need to do, told Denise I dont care if he eats a dozen ice creams a day,, so long as he is eating.. I am happy..
    I am doing very well when I grocery shop... dont go down in the middle except to get no sugar added pasta sauce and Zero water.. and today I went to Aldi and didn't buy any food.. they had one of those folding personal tables for 12.99 so i got that and a phone holder for my car.. finally one that stays and holds my phone..
    laundry is done and I will make up the bed with fresh sheets.. nothing feels better..
    I havent really eaten out so i stopped at Wendys and got a grilled chicken asiago sandwich with no bun or sauce.. a little messy but filled me up... and now drinking a few bottles of water.. bed all made.. going to relax for a bit and then onto paper clean up and sort, and cooking..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Margaret ~ My son put in a Carrier system last year. He said he was told that this was the best.

That is what is in there now and it is one I am definitely considering. AC also gets good reviews. Both will need to be done. I am glad in way they left it to us to upgrade. If they had done it they might have gone the cheap route. I am in the research mode now. I will get estimates in April and May when it is not so busy.

Katla this is a good heads up for me because this summer they are redoing our water main for our home. I will watch for leaks right away. I wish they would tell us what the assessment will be so we can start to budget. I know it will be high. The main we have now is 60 years old, so I know it is time. Rather have it upgraded before there is a problem and we lose water. This did happen a couple years ago when a line broke a couple streets over. I have a file where I keep track of our water usage. Summer really varies depending on how much watering we need to do. I should from our records be able to spot a major leak. A small one will be harder. Once they do the work I will need to call because they only take readings four times a year.

Now if we could just get the power company come and trim trees along our lines. It is been done once in the thirty years we have lived here. They did take down two branches when they broke. We did have to pay for one because it was not broken they would not take it down. Fortunately it was done when we were having other major tree work, so the cost was minimized. The two they did cut down they left in our yard for us to clean up. Yes another way companies are saving money.

:heart: Margaret
  • margaretturk
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Katla "...so I work on me...staying strong both physically and emotionally...doing something you enjoy ...can help you stay strong and bring you a bit of happieness" thank you for sharing your wisdom born from experience. You, Rori, Lanette, Machka, Barbie, Sue, KJ and all the others here are the best role models if ever that dread day comes. Please God, not!
    pip fainted but didn't know it??? Sure hope Kirby has long since dragged you to the ER and you're already feeling better.
    Mary from AZ great "file a claim on your father's estate" advice to Allie.
    Sharon "somehow more exercise has magically given me more energy" and "yen for sweets magically gone with this surgery" Hooray! You get being pip and I'll push!
    Felicia you must be very proud of your son's emotional understanding and maturity.
    Michele How could you drink something you choose without giving offence to your friend who is pushing you to drink what you do NOT want? Could you bring some special sparkling water or cider to your friend's house to share? If not, then to heck with giving offense. Ask for plain water instead of wine. (This from me who LOVES wine ;>)
    Tracey, we have a wood stove. Joe does all the work ;). He plans to split the logs and burn 'em after they've seasoned a year. We both love the look and smell, but really love the drying effect the wood stove has.
    NYKaren only Italian channels.. Oh the horror :laugh: Ah, foccacia! YUM! Pesto with green beans and pototoes sounds appealing. Was it served with pasta? Love the pics, thanks for sharing!
    Margaret, afraid the robo arms are a cost saving measure, less labor cost, less risk of workmen's compensation claims. Common sense gives way to $$.
    KJ "extremely wasteful society" true that. :noway: groceries prosecuting folk who steal their trash? Ridiculous. I've heard that once you put your trash out for pickup, it is no longer yours. That's why private investigators can go through it with impunity and police don't need search warrants. https://www.waste360.com/mag/waste_garbage_public_property
    Rita you are doing amazingly well!
    Katla does your plumber concur with the City's conclusions? Seems as though the city employees who worked on the water meter would have noticed the incorrect pvc connection and told you it had to be replaced with brass. Not to be paranoid, but if something worked that long, then stopped working after the city did something to the meter, I'd think that some kind of accidental damage occurred, like an employee dropping a tool on the pvc connector, or the meter surging too much pressure through it or. or. or... Does your City have an ombudsman? Hard to fight City Hall...
    Shannon minimum 10 minutes of exercise and sometimes another session or two "...improves my mood and I just feel better" YES! Well done!!!
    Heather you ROCK!

Welcome Nancyh58 "'wish I weighed that when I thought I was fat' weight." ROTLMAO ain't it da truth?
    Welcome Laurel in MN.
    Welcome Noegrand in MO, so sorry for your loss.

Agree about robo arms. I am just not sure they are practical here with all our snow and slippery streets.
  • Katla49
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Margaret: A piece of brass pipe on the house side of the water meter had a hairline crack in it and that was what was leaking. The plumber gave us the piece when he finished the repair. We plan to take it along when we go to the City Water Department. We're waiting for the plumber's bill and will take that along, too. :star:
  • margaretturk
    Options
    Thanks Katla!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    <3B)
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options

Margaret wrote.... Now if we could just get the power company come and trim trees along our lines. It is been done once in the thirty years we have lived here. They did take down two branches when they broke. We did have to pay for one because it was not broken they would not take it down. Fortunately it was done when we were having other major tree work, so the cost was minimized. The two they did cut down they left in our yard for us to clean up. Yes another way companies are saving money.[/i]

The power company here cut down two large pine trees last summer and we had to pay $1,000 to have the pieces removed and then another $500 to get the yard cleaned up where the removal company tore it up.

Carol

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    well wow is all I can say you don't know how many tree's were wasted on all the paper I got rid off..
    rediculous the amount of junk mail you accumulate..I still really haven't sat down to rest except here and there...still have to go make taco meat.. and I guess bake some of the chicken...then I am getting into my jammies
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did Body by Bethany DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jillian Michael’s Shred it with Weights DVD.

Afterwards, washed the floor since that’s something I can do that’s quiet. Maybe later I’ll vacuum, I don’t know. I do know that I’ll go lay out by the pool.

Heather – poor Bea

Lenora – 750 calories/day is very low. Why don’t you try increasing your calories and see what happens. Increase to at least 1,000. Many times our bodies get so used to how many calories we consistently put into it that confusing our bodies by giving it more calories helps to show a loss. Certainly can’t hurt

Barbara – I did tell him that I liked only wine that is sweet. I know me, and I’m a people pleaser. I didn’t have much, but I did have some just to make him happy. I also brought my own water bottle with me, mainly because it’s insulated so it doesn’t get super hot and it doesn’t sweat.

Katla – regarding bike seats, a lot I think has to do with what your body is used to. I know when I first starting taking a spinning class, I couldn’t walk my butt hurt so much. Now it doesn’t bother me

Washed the floors this morning. This way, tomorrow I’ll only have to do a little spot cleaning tomorrow. Went by the pool and then into the pool. Even tho it was very windy, to me, the water isn’t real refreshing. Well, it’s better than nothing. Came up and ran the vacuum. I’m hoping that the weather will be good enough for me to lay by the pool some tomorrow so I’m trying to get some things done today. Really, when we first get here I probably should at least vacuum and maybe scrub the tub/shower and toilets. Going to have dinner in a few. Will need to do laundry tomorrow.

Michele
    Who is sad to think that we’ll be leaving in two days
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,101 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Katla49
    Options
    Lenora: Most of us get onto plateaus from time to time. Count your calories and move as much as you are able. Watch your sodium and foods that might cause water retention. Everything I've read tells me that 750 calories every day are not enough for an adult woman to stay healthy in the long term. :flowerforyou:

Barbara the Southern Oregon Coastie: The plumber found a crack in a brass fitting. It wasn’t the plastic after all. That was my incorrect assumption. He replaced the fitting with something called wirsbo. The water is back on and working well. We have a huge water bill and need to get the plumber’s invoice so we can take it to the City. Hopefully it will get us a little mercy in the huge water bill problem. :ohwell:

I went to the stable today and had a lesson on Arrow. He wasn’t the best, but neither was I. I’m still tired after yesterday’s meeting out of town. :yawn: My teacher tells me that it is possible that there may be another lesson next week. I hope I’m better rested next time.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • noegrand123
    noegrand123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi all. So enjoy reading your posts!

On the bike seat - I totally agree with “its the size of the seat” we have one that is well padded but the size and angle of seat back make it very uncomfortable. It’s almost a 90 degree angle from back to seat. If my rear was smaller might help.

It’s 15 degrees here tonight in Missouri. Looks like a week at the gym this next week as temperatures will b like this all week, so no walking this week!

Have a great Monday everyone!