Teeth and gum pain? Help!

Options
Help! I've been trying to stick to a caloric restriction diet (1200 since I'm pretty sedentary right now). I'm a 5 foot 7, 21 year old female who is going from 180 to 130 pounds.
For some reason though, whenever I try dieting I get horrible shooting pain in my gums and tons of toothaches l. It only happens when I diet. It confuses me because I eating LESS sugar. I brush my teeth twice a day, I dont engage in dangerous behaviors like purging and cigarette smoking, and this only happens when I diet. I'm not on any diet pills eaither.

What causes this? Does anyone else have this problem? Do you have any advice? I'm sorry if this sounds crazy, but its driving me crazy.
Thanks for any help

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this. Good question for your dentist. You might have something else going it, it's just been coinciding with your calorie deficit rather than caused by.
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You need to go to the dentist. I had a similar thing once and went in thinking something horrible and it was inflamed gums, which sounds like nothing but it turns out, can actually hurt really bad. I had to use a prescription mouthwash and switch from floss to water floss. You need a professional. What you are describing doesn't sound like it was just brush away.
  • browneyesandstarryskies
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    There is no reason those symptoms should be brought on by calorie restriction, perhaps it is a specific food or nervous habit that you only use while dieting that is causing it? Regardless, that's a question for a dentist, make an appointment.

Considering your stats, you only need to lose 25 lbs to get into the healthy weight range and should be aiming for about 1 lb per week, which would have you closer to 1500 cals. 1200 is aggressive. If you do any exercise, make sure to log it and eat back at least some of those calories as well. You are still young - don't get stuck in a pattern of eating too little and losing weight fast, then rebounding back up over and over again :drinker:

Thank you for the advice. Honestly, besides stress and illness preventing me from eating, I've never been on a real diet before. This is the first time in my life that I've been overweight caused by back surgery and many medicines so I'm in the dark on how to properly eat and lose weight. I'm not trying to hurt myself, I'm just in such culture shock from having a bigger body I'm not used to or comfortable in. I appreciate the help, honestly.
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow, so I'll update on what they say.

Very happy to read this.

With regards to weight loss, don't make it harder than it has to be. There is a lot of great information here. Do some reading. I would start with the links here (particularly the sexypants thread):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Thank you so much!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow, so I'll update on what they say.

Very happy to read this.

With regards to weight loss, don't make it harder than it has to be. There is a lot of great information here. Do some reading. I would start with the links here (particularly the sexypants thread):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Thank you so much!

You're welcome. Feel free to update after the dentist appointment tomorrow. I'm sure several of us will be wondering. As you are reading, ask questions if you need more support.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,674 Member
    Options
    Good luck tomorrow at this dentist! Just a thought, but are you eating more hard stuff than you normally do? I'm thinking an existing problem combined with crunching on fruits and veggies may be triggering the pain. Other than that I can't think of anything else that would cause this. Sometimes I get jaw pain from munching on carrots. I hope it's something small that you can easily resolve. Definitely update, I am super curious!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to read the results too. I have been having a lot of tooth pain (and now lately headaches) but my last two dentist appointments we're fine. They just tell me I have sensitivity and to use the sensitive toothpaste.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Just another thought...sinus infections can cause upper jaw and teeth pain. I suggest going to your family doctor if the dentist doesn't yield any results.
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow at this dentist! Just a thought, but are you eating more hard stuff than you normally do? I'm thinking an existing problem combined with crunching on fruits and veggies may be triggering the pain. Other than that I can't think of anything else that would cause this. Sometimes I get jaw pain from munching on carrots. I hope it's something small that you can easily resolve. Definitely update, I am super curious!

Not a bad idea, it honestly, that cant be it. I actually end up eating a lot of soft foods on this diet (soups, yogurts, jellos). And usually it's the type of stuff I would eat anyway. But I'll be sure to explain tomorrow
    Options
    I'm hoping to read the results too. I have been having a lot of tooth pain (and now lately headaches) but my last two dentist appointments we're fine. They just tell me I have sensitivity and to use the sensitive toothpaste.

That happened to me too. Last time I mentioned something about this, my dentist told me to get sensitive toothpaste, but with this diet thing, it didnt help. I'm hoping this time to get more in depth results
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Is there any chance that calorie restriction is sufficiently stressful that you're gritting or grinding your teeth during sleep? Stress-related tooth-gritting during sleep earned me a bunch of headaches, and brought on some tooth problems (abcess, according to my dentist, and consequent root canal).

That's very much so possible. I dont show much signs of feeling stress so it could be subconscious. Is there a way to test if this is the case?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance that calorie restriction is sufficiently stressful that you're gritting or grinding your teeth during sleep? Stress-related tooth-gritting during sleep earned me a bunch of headaches, and brought on some tooth problems (abcess, according to my dentist, and consequent root canal).

That's very much so possible. I dont show much signs of feeling stress so it could be subconscious. Is there a way to test if this is the case?

It's another thing you can ask your dentist about - there may be visible signs. If your headaches are worse (or more frequent) when you first wake up, that's also a hint. I have a bite guard I wear at night that helps. Mine is custom (dentist fitted), but you can get less custom heat & fit ones at big drugstores. Last I knew, they were about $25-30.

If it's stress-related in any way, then any stress reduction techniques may help: Meditiation ( http://www.relaxationresponse.org/steps/ or an app, for example), warm aromatherapy bath before bed, stretching/yoga, chamomile tea, etc.

Also, if it could be stress, try to avoid being extreme on either the diet front or the exercise front. For example, you could try reducing eating gradually, rather than going immediately to your intended bigger calorie deficit; and phasing in an exercise program by starting with lower duration, less intensity, and more rest days.

Just some thoughts.
    Options

It's another thing you can ask your dentist about - there may be visible signs. If your headaches are worse (or more frequent) when you first wake up, that's also a hint. I have a bite guard I wear at night that helps. Mine is custom (dentist fitted), but you can get less custom heat & fit ones at big drugstores. Last I knew, they were about $25-30.

If it's stress-related in any way, then any stress reduction techniques may help: Meditiation ( http://www.relaxationresponse.org/steps/ or an app, for example), warm aromatherapy bath before bed, stretching/yoga, chamomile tea, etc.

Also, if it could be stress, try to avoid being extreme on either the diet front or the exercise front. For example, you could try reducing eating gradually, rather than going immediately to your intended bigger calorie deficit; and phasing in an exercise program by starting with lower duration, less intensity, and more rest days.

Just some thoughts.

I appreciate the insight and advice. I'll ask my dentist and I LOVE yoga and meditation so that's not a bad idea.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Are you eating more fruit. Are you using more vinegar in dressings or drinking more low cal sodas. Perhaps it is a change of foods that is causing the problem.

I find the acid in fruit or vinagrette dressings can set off sensitivity in my teeth. Also diet coke/pepsi if I drink too much.

Good that you are seeing your dentist though they should be able to advise you what might be happening.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

My dental hygienist spotted signs of teeth grinding. I got a custom guard from them for $40 but if your dentist isn't that reasonably priced, they are also sold at major drugstore chains, like Ann said.

I found it odd at first but now I don't feel right unless I have it in my mouth when I go to sleep.