Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• dozenmonkeyz
    dozenmonkeyz Posts: 150 Member
    Week 4 of RFL in the books and weight is down 9.3Lbs on the weekly average and 15.1Lbs from starting weight. Let off the gas Friday night and all day Saturday, letting myself have a couple drinks each night and killed some carbs throughout the day Saturday. But right back to it Sunday and I'm gonna be fairly strict for the next 2 weeks, maybe 3 if I can push it. Then 2 weeks off. Energy levels fluctuate but mostly tolerable and very little strength drop. Hunger isn't too bad but I've spaced my food out enough to combat it during the day. On a full EC stack but at this point I feel the effects have diminished to be hardly noticeable.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Well back on day shift... So here it goes, serious face on :grimace::lol:

Scale says, as of this morning...
    185.2lbs (⬆️ 6lbs since Oct)
    16.1%

Not bad for 6', but I would love to get back down to 175lbs and maintain the strength gains...

What scales do you have?
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited February 2019
    Tic78 wrote: »

16.1%

Not bad for 6', but I would love to get back down to 175lbs and maintain the strength gains...

What scales do you have?

It's pretty good for weight but I don't think it's very good for bf%

12w0bol2aq1j.jpg
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Thanks looking for something decent for bf%. The ones I have just now show the same percent regardless of how much I gain or lose 😆
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Tic78 wrote: »
    Thanks looking for something decent for bf%. The ones I have just now show the same percent regardless of how much I gain or lose 😆

Mine varies but I think it factors what's in your intestines as BF... :grimace:
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    All bioimpedance scales are going to be wildly inaccurate for bf % But they can be useful to see the percentage dropping over time to make sure your making progress .
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    jdog022 wrote: »
    All bioimpedance scales are going to be wildly inaccurate for bf % But they can be useful to see the percentage dropping over time to make sure your making progress .

That's primarily what I use it for... I was tested using dexa and just use the scale for the trend but honestly... It's not even really all that great for that
  • jdog022
    jdog022 wrote: »

That's primarily what I use it for... I was tested using dexa and just use the scale for the trend but honestly... It's not even really all that great for that

Yep. It’s almost comical how bad it is. I have a step on and a handheld scale and using them back to back can be as much as 8% difference. Course I just believe which ever is less 😂
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I was curious if my scale was doing anything for bf% other than taking a linear regression based on my weight and assumptions from my height, sex, and age. 46 data points over a ~10lb weight range spanning a few years showed a linear relationship with a R^2 value of 0.948 so I'm not confident in the number my scale generates even for trending purposes; I would have expected my bf% to trend down consistently after I started lifting regardless of weight fluctuation over that narrow of a range. FWIW mine is a Homedics scale I purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond in 2012 or so.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    First week was moderately successful. Started at 181.4, finished at 178.1. Not all my days were perfect, but certainly a good start.

Down to 177 but it turned into a bad week. I got some stomach bug and then it was my best friends bday. Going to take off this week since i am on travel for work and then going back on for 2 weeks next week.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    edited February 2019

16.1%

Today... 187.4 /16.5% wtf 🤷🏽‍♂️🙈...

Pretty much starved myself all week, 3 meals, 1 is just a shake... 5 days lifting, plus cardio, active job...

Saturday, New job.. "Oh yeah Jesse, we all get burritos on Saturday"... Me "*kitten*, sounds great 🙄"... I split that thing in to 2 meals over the weekend...

I still feel like I've got half of it in my stomach 😟...

Not doing that again... I'll be that awkward guy who brought his own lunch for a few months 😂
  • dozenmonkeyz
    Week 4 of RFL in the books and weight is down 9.3Lbs on the weekly average and 15.1Lbs from starting weight. Let off the gas Friday night and all day Saturday, letting myself have a couple drinks each night and killed some carbs throughout the day Saturday. But right back to it Sunday and I'm gonna be fairly strict for the next 2 weeks, maybe 3 if I can push it. Then 2 weeks off. Energy levels fluctuate but mostly tolerable and very little strength drop. Hunger isn't too bad but I've spaced my food out enough to combat it during the day. On a full EC stack but at this point I feel the effects have diminished to be hardly noticeable.

Week 5 went pretty well. Skipped the free meal for the week. Had a couple drinks Friday evening but didn't indulge in any other extra calories. Sunday was my refeed and the carbs were as wonderful as I'd hoped. Weight is down another 2.2Lbs from last week on the weekly average. Overall, weekly average loss is 11.5Lbs, and, total weight loss is 16Lbs. Energy levels are still acceptable and hunger is always present but getting less noticeable. Lost a rep on a couple lifts yesterday but that's the first I've noticed any decrease in strength. Planning to grind out two more weeks then break for two weeks.
  • dozenmonkeyz
    Week 5 went pretty well. Skipped the free meal for the week. Had a couple drinks Friday evening but didn't indulge in any other extra calories. Sunday was my refeed and the carbs were as wonderful as I'd hoped. Weight is down another 2.2Lbs from last week on the weekly average. Overall, weekly average loss is 11.5Lbs, and, total weight loss is 16Lbs. Energy levels are still acceptable and hunger is always present but getting less noticeable. Lost a rep on a couple lifts yesterday but that's the first I've noticed any decrease in strength. Planning to grind out two more weeks then break for two weeks.

Week 6 was a bit of a drag. Loss slowed and found myself really craving food. Managed to fight it off until Saturday night when I had a couple drinks that led me to snacking a few hundred calories. So, the planned refeed for Sunday had to be quite strict and ended up just being kinda miserable instead of relieving and satisfying. Going to grind out the rest of this week and then take my 2 week break. Weekly average loss is 13.1Lbs and overall loss from starting weight is 18.5. I'd really hoped to hit 200Lbs on the scale before my break but not looking likely.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    All right. Back on track. Competition post-feed and birthday is over. 186.8 this morning. Trainer wants me to cut down to 180 rather quickly, so I can eat back up into the next competition, June 8.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I am working with a slow cut right now until I am done travel (so second week of April). Hoping to get down a few lbs before I start a second round. Got down to 178 (a little rebound from 3 days of travel and a friends bday). Hoping to do a 2-3 week round next time, focus on getting my calories down closer to 1200 (last one I was a bit high at 1500) and trying to get more calories from low carb veggies. Hoping to hit around 170 by the end of it.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits

16.1%

Today... 187.4 /16.5% wtf 🤷🏽‍♂️🙈...

Pretty much starved myself all week, 3 meals, 1 is just a shake... 5 days lifting, plus cardio, active job...

Saturday, New job.. "Oh yeah Jesse, we all get burritos on Saturday"... Me "*kitten*, sounds great 🙄"... I split that thing in to 2 meals over the weekend...

I still feel like I've got half of it in my stomach 😟...

Not doing that again... I'll be that awkward guy who brought his own lunch for a few months 😂

Well today...

≈ 184lbs (⬇️ ≈ 1.5lbs in almost 3 weeks)
    About 0.5lbs/week

Nice and slow, so I'm feeling pretty good today I guess 😂...

Also, waist is back to ≈ 32" (⬇️ ≈ 0.75")
    Not bad for only losing ≈ 1.5lbs 🤷🏽‍♂️
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I just started cutting 1 week ago

started weight 152.8
    starting body fat: 12.8
    current weight: 149.2
    current body fat: 12.4

I think its going a bit too aggressive. I have around 300-400 deficit a day. might want to bring it down to 200 deficit instead. still looking to train and get stronger if possible, just want a bit less fat

If you cut carbs a good bit of that weight could very well be water and you're not actually going too quickly.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »

started weight 152.8

I think its going a bit too aggressive. I have around 300-400 deficit a day. might want to bring it down to 200 deficit instead. still looking to train and get stronger if possible, just want a bit less fat

If you cut carbs a good bit of that weight could very well be water and you're not actually going too quickly.

quite the opposite, I shifted my focus to 40% carb 35% protein and 25% fat. but of course, during my deficit, I don't always hit it, but I always reach my protein goal. im still taking creatine.

( btw this is my first time ever cutting, so still a learning process )

Either way, I'd wait a few more weeks to determine the trend before making any changes. (Unless you continue 3 lbs a week. Then I'd eat more.)
  • jdog022
    edited March 2019
    steveko89 wrote: »

started weight 152.8

quite the opposite, I shifted my focus to 40% carb 35% protein and 25% fat. but of course, during my deficit, I don't always hit it, but I always reach my protein goal. im still taking creatine.

( btw this is my first time ever cutting, so still a learning process )

Your depleting your body of its immediate energy storage which is mainly Muscle and liver glycogen. decreased food is also decreased food in your gut which was weight. Plus the carb drop as mentioned which equals some water Drop. Changing your percentage doesn’t mean you didn’t decrease your carbs overall?

Usually the first two weeks can be ignored in terms of how fast your losing “fat”. I begin tracking my trend about end of week 2 and make adjustments from that point
  • dozenmonkeyz

Week 6 was a bit of a drag. Loss slowed and found myself really craving food. Managed to fight it off until Saturday night when I had a couple drinks that led me to snacking a few hundred calories. So, the planned refeed for Sunday had to be quite strict and ended up just being kinda miserable instead of relieving and satisfying. Going to grind out the rest of this week and then take my 2 week break. Weekly average loss is 13.1Lbs and overall loss from starting weight is 18.5. I'd really hoped to hit 200Lbs on the scale before my break but not looking likely.

Started slowly back to maintenance calories throughout Friday & Saturday; so nice to have plenty of energy and eat carbs and all that good stuff. To close out my first phase of 7 weeks on RFL, I'm down 15Lbs on my weekly average and 21Lbs overall. Expecting around 5Lbs to come back on as water weight normalizes. My goal was to hit 200 this cycle but I ended up at 203.

I'll take a two week break while running a normal lifting routine (and a hefty amount of adult beverages on the upcoming St Patty's Day :p ), followed by another 6 week RFL cycle to hopefully get and additional 10-15Lbs off. If I can get to 190Lbs I'll be ecstatic to start summer time.