Keto Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @zeejane03 Thanks for the feedback. Good that you`re looking into things thoroughly. Like I said there are a million other resources you can check to educate yourself. There are also medical professionals who recognize certain health benefits of following Keto. The OPs doctor for eg. Perhaps you can look at some of those resources too.

I use the site to track my food for the reasons I stated in my previous post. I know people who have been successful in weight loss & other health benefits of Keto and so I got information from their research and have read lots of articles. If you`re looking for a "recommended" amount of veg intake, the only recommendation is not to go over your carb allowance, but you can spend it all on vegetables if you wish, but will get more bang for your buck if you choose those with minimal carbs. I`m not certain what recipes you`re looking at, but I`ve seen tons with veggies..zuccini boats, spaghetti squash, roasted radishes, brussel sprout chips & on & on.

It doesn`t have to be a "lifestyle" change in the sense of eating strict Keto forever. My daughter is planning on reintroducing more carbs at some point, but doing it gradually over a period of time and settling on a lower carb plan, but not on being Keto low forever.

Like I said in my previous post, it isn`t for me, but for those who can be disciplined to do the clean version of Keto all the more power to them. My goal is to keep sugar, processed foods & wheat products out of my diet and the carbs I eat to be from veggies & limited fruit, so lower carb intake is what I`m shooting for.

Hoping the best for you in your search. :)
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll Where in my comment did I state that carbohydrates are what's making people fat and they need to be strictly limited for weight loss? Nor did I say carbs are dangerous. If you are making a general statement based on opinion developed from what you've "read somewhere" then please do not quote me and mix in your opinion with what I wrote.

I think you need to re-read my post. I`m not an expert nor am I promoting Keto. I`m speaking from my personal perspective regarding my limited experience trying Keto for 4 entire days. The restrictive vegetable allowance is why I opted out of following it and chose a low carb eating plan as opposed to restrictive one. To ME it IS "common sense" to include a variety of vegetables to maintain a healthy eating plan. I did not say those strictly adhering to the Keto plan would agree with me. I am not speaking for the Keto community nor advocating for them.

The Ketogenic diet was developed to help children with seizures so it has medical evidence that it has other health benefits besides weight loss. Some are reduced blood pressure, cholesterol and food cravings among other things. The OP stated that her doctor recommended Keto to her because she herself is following it. So there`s some food for thought, hmmmm?

Anyway, "to each his own". I know why I came on this thread, but am curious why you did if you are so against Keto.

PS ~ Zero Carbohydrate diet??? Really???

If you find that you're getting painted by a brush that paints people you identify with (keto) consider that either you need the wherewithal to accept that brush, or don't identify with that group. If the keto label has too much baggage and you find how it is used is different from your understanding, you may want to just talk about your diet plan and not calling it keto. Otherwise, at some point all you're doing is arguing semantics, and eventually dictating to one another wheat each of you has to mean to use a word like keto, and people tend to find those conversations unproductive until at least one party drops the their definition and both parties use just one.

And there are definitely people in the more specialized keto diets who are "carnivores" and try to avoid eating anything plant based, including vegetables:
    ZTwbABe.png

What part of "I tried Keto for 4 days, I`m NO expert" is unclear? I am not identifying with Keto by saying I tried it for 4 days. and after I made that as clear as mud, obviously, I did talk about my low carb diet plan.

Thanks for the tips tho. :) and the reference to the Carnivore FB page...might come in handy some day LOL!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I went keto about 4 years ago to address prediabetes and autoimmune issues. It fixed my BG, greatly improved my AI symptoms and made weight control quite easy. The lower carb I go, the better I feel.

Ketosis is under 20-50g of carbs a day. That can include a lot of vegetables or none. It leaves a fair bit of room to make a diet that suits you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll Where in my comment did I state that carbohydrates are what's making people fat and they need to be strictly limited for weight loss? Nor did I say carbs are dangerous. If you are making a general statement based on opinion developed from what you've "read somewhere" then please do not quote me and mix in your opinion with what I wrote.

I think you need to re-read my post. I`m not an expert nor am I promoting Keto. I`m speaking from my personal perspective regarding my limited experience trying Keto for 4 entire days. The restrictive vegetable allowance is why I opted out of following it and chose a low carb eating plan as opposed to restrictive one. To ME it IS "common sense" to include a variety of vegetables to maintain a healthy eating plan. I did not say those strictly adhering to the Keto plan would agree with me. I am not speaking for the Keto community nor advocating for them.

The Ketogenic diet was developed to help children with seizures so it has medical evidence that it has other health benefits besides weight loss. Some are reduced blood pressure, cholesterol and food cravings among other things. The OP stated that her doctor recommended Keto to her because she herself is following it. So there`s some food for thought, hmmmm?

Anyway, "to each his own". I know why I came on this thread, but am curious why you did if you are so against Keto.

I didn't say *you* said that, but "carbohydrates are what make you fat" is a common message among proponents of keto (and it's something I've seen frequently here from posters). I've also seen people say that carbohydrates are "dangerous" or "poison." Again, I'm not talking about your comments, I'm talking about the general statements made by many advocates of keto.

To you, it is "common sense" to include vegetables. But if someone is being told that carbohydrates are "poison," it may not be "common sense" to eat vegetables regularly.

I don't know that it particularly matters why I'm on this thread, but if you really want to know it's because I enjoy discussing nutrition (which is what we're doing here). I hope that's okay.

Yes, "zero carbohydrate" is a thing. There's a whole community for it on reddit, as well as some fairly prominent people who claim to have adopted such a diet. There are even a couple of posters here who are either zero carbohydrate or almost zero carbohydrate, so that's something to keep in mind when we're thinking that it's "common sense" for everyone to eat vegetables.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »

I didn't say *you* said that, but "carbohydrates are what make you fat" is a common message among proponents of keto (and it's something I've seen frequently here from posters). I've also seen people say that carbohydrates are "dangerous" or "poison." Again, I'm not talking about your comments, I'm talking about the general statements made by many advocates of keto.

To you, it is "common sense" to include vegetables. But if someone is being told that carbohydrates are "poison," it may not be "common sense" to eat vegetables regularly.

I don't know that it particularly matters why I'm on this thread, but if you really want to know it's because I enjoy discussing nutrition (which is what we're doing here). I hope that's okay.

Yes, "zero carbohydrate" is a thing. There's a whole community for it on reddit, as well as some fairly prominent people who claim to have adopted such a diet. There are even a couple of posters here who are either zero carbohydrate or almost zero carbohydrate, so that's something to keep in mind when we're thinking that it's "common sense" for everyone to eat vegetables.

Yep, there's keto/carnivore advocates here who have posted that vegetables are bad for you, fiber is bad etc.

The claim isn't that fiber is bad, is that it's unnecessary.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's that it's bad, causes digestive issues.

It does, of course, for some, but not generally -- typically problems with fiber are due to existing health issues.
  • lacyphacelia
    lacyphacelia Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've tried keto before doing the high-fat part, and all it did was cause digestive distress. When I cut down on the fat, I was constipated. YMMV.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Yep, there's keto/carnivore advocates here who have posted that vegetables are bad for you, fiber is bad etc.

The claim isn't that fiber is bad, is that it's unnecessary.

Thanks for the clarification, I should have worded my post differently :)
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of salads being a focus of keto?

I'm thinking her physician may follow Dr. Berg's approach, which recommends 7-10 cups of veggies per day, so long as they are keto friendly (obviously no potatoes, corn, etc)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found this article today that explains (much better than I ever could) how fibre can be beneficial to a diet, and why it may be less beneficial for those on a whole foods ketogenic diet.
    https://blog.virtahealth.com/fiber-colon-health-ketogenic-diet/

The article comes from virta which has a lchf for treating metabolic disease (mainly t2d) so it may have a low carb bias. It was written rather fairly though, imo.