Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eating mushrooms may cut your chances of dementia in half: Study

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I love mushrooms and have them a few times a week so hopefully there is some truth in it :smiley:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i don't do mushrooms. i want to. but i just not a fan of taste and/or texture
    but i like cooking and so many wonderful dishes include mushrooms

one more reason for me to try to acclimate my tastebuds if this study and studies like it continue to support the idea

Mushrooms have a taste?

To me, they taste kind of earthy, savory, and rich. I'm a fan of the taste, but I can see how people could dislike it.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I read that article the other day and was intrigued as well (being old and all :) ) Ignoring the "Eat mushrooms to reduce your chance of dementia!" hype I thought it was an encouraging exploratory study and am delighted that they are following up with other studies to narrow down the source of the apparent benefit. I think they'd be able to start human trial fairly soon (probobly as soon as funding is available) since it just involves food (or derivitives) that we already know is safe and doesn't supplant any regular treatment patients would be receiving.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    I use them in my mock liver every week. 340 grams mushrooms, 227 grams green beans, and an onion sauted on medium-high heat for 10 minutes in a teaspoon of oil. Into the food processor with 1/4 cup walnut pieces and 1/4 cup water plus salt and pepper to taste. Process to desired consistency.

I'll also throw them into stir-fries and there's the end of a package sitting in my slow-cooker stew right now.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »

one more reason for me to try to acclimate my tastebuds if this study and studies like it continue to support the idea

Mushrooms have a taste?

To me, they taste kind of earthy, savory, and rich. I'm a fan of the taste, but I can see how people could dislike it.

Yes please. Sauteed in olive oil, butter and garlic....I want some now.

eating some right now. Sauteed with butter-flavored oil spray, some sesame oil, garlic, onion, zucchini, collard greens, canned chicken, black olives, and water chestnuts.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    the renaissance fair by us has portabella burgers and butter and garlic button mushrooms and they all smell wonderful but nope. they go in my mouth and then come right back out. can't even force a swallow :disappointed:

but that's an interesting idea about ground mushroom

Do you have actual gagging / retching reactions to them? I had issues like as a child towards most vegetables, even something I'd call similarly low in flavor like lettuce. Overtime I just powered through it so that it took more to elicit a reaction until at this point in my life I usually have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables as part of lunch.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    the renaissance fair by us has portabella burgers and butter and garlic button mushrooms and they all smell wonderful but nope. they go in my mouth and then come right back out. can't even force a swallow :disappointed:

Do you have actual gagging / retching reactions to them? I had issues like as a child towards most vegetables, even something I'd call similarly low in flavor like lettuce. Overtime I just powered through it so that it took more to elicit a reaction until at this point in my life I usually have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables as part of lunch.

depends on the day. somedays brain won't swallow. other days, the brains says the whole stomach is infected with mushrooms and a system flush is needed

i want to like mushrooms :disappointed:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member

Mushrooms have a taste?

It's almost morel season here.

I rarely get some, but possibly the best food on earth, in my world. Yes to "earthy, savory and rich", and then some. Plus, if you're not careful, you have an opportunity to eat your RDA of tiny ants. ;) (As a veggie, I avoid this.)

(NB the commercial morels are OK, the usually-fresher wild ones much better, richer. Maybe the commercial ones would be as good if I could ever find properly fresh ones: The ones sold as "fresh" are kind of dried-out, because that happens fairly fast. I've only had home-dried wild ones once that I can recall, and remember them as richer than dried ones that are commercially available.)

I completely can't relate to thinking mushrooms don't have much flavor, in general. They're a classic umami flavor. Some are more flavorful than others, usually the darker ones richer; the flavor comes out better cooked, in most, IMO. But most of them, full of delicious flavor. (The canned ones don't have much, and that not very good IMO.)

I don't think of the texture as slimy, but I can kind of see how someone could.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    This is just an observation that 300 grams of mushrooms prepared any way you love them is still a lot of mushrooms to have to eat every week.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    This is just an observation that 300 grams of mushrooms prepared any way you love them is still a lot of mushrooms to have to eat every week.

It's slightly more than a package. I can use half a pack in a stir-fry easy.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    ritzvin wrote: »

Mushrooms have a taste?

eating some right now. Sauteed with butter-flavored oil spray, some sesame oil, garlic, onion, zucchini, collard greens, canned chicken, black olives, and water chestnuts.

Sans water chestnuts for me, otherwise..my mouth is watering right now ...
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Mushrooms have a taste?

I rarely get some, but possibly the best food on earth, in my world. Yes to "earthy, savory and rich", and then some. Plus, if you're not careful, you have an opportunity to eat your RDA of tiny ants. ;) (As a veggie, I avoid this.)

(NB the commercial morels are OK, the usually-fresher wild ones much better, richer. Maybe the commercial ones would be as good if I could ever find properly fresh ones: The ones sold as "fresh" are kind of dried-out, because that happens fairly fast. I've only had home-dried wild ones once that I can recall, and remember them as richer than dried ones that are commercially available.)

I completely can't relate to thinking mushrooms don't have much flavor, in general. They're a classic umami flavor. Some are more flavorful than others, usually the darker ones richer; the flavor comes out better cooked, in most, IMO. But most of them, full of delicious flavor. (The canned ones don't have much, and that not very good IMO.)

Believe or not, I've never had morels. I can add that to my 'must try one day' list.

Portobella are a staple in my house, along with common whitecap (I don't know if there's another name for them) and one that may or may not be shiitake (fast googles image...) could well be.

The richer, earthier tastes suit me, although I have to confess I may have never tried them without garlic. The salt if I don't have fresh on hand.

One of my all time favorite dishes is cauliflower, mushrooms (any type) along with fresh crushed garlic and butter. Sauteed until the cauliflower begins to turn golden brown, slightly crunchy, but soft.

All. Day. Long. Yes :)

Oh, the texture - sure, I could see it being a bit of a turn off to some. It's never bothered me though.
  • Phirrgus

depends on the day. somedays brain won't swallow. other days, the brains says the whole stomach is infected with mushrooms and a system flush is needed

i want to like mushrooms :disappointed:

What mushrooms are to you, asparagus is to me. I just cannot like the stuff, want to, but can't. It is what it is :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member

Mushrooms have a taste?

Mushrooms have a taste?

Believe or not, I've never had morels. I can add that to my 'must try one day' list.

Portobella are a staple in my house, along with common whitecap (I don't know if there's another name for them) and one that may or may not be shiitake (fast googles image...) could well be.

The richer, earthier tastes suit me, although I have to confess I may have never tried them without garlic. The salt if I don't have fresh on hand.

One of my all time favorite dishes is cauliflower, mushrooms (any type) along with fresh crushed garlic and butter. Sauteed until the cauliflower begins to turn golden brown, slightly crunchy, but soft.

Oh, the texture - sure, I could see it being a bit of a turn off to some. It's never bothered me though.

And here I thought you were an upstanding guy that was raised right! B)

I love mushrooms, so this one will be easy for me. On pizza, in omelets, soup, salads, sauteed on burgers, or just plain raw for a snack. <3
  • Phirrgus

Mushrooms have a taste?

Mushrooms have a taste?

I love mushrooms, so this one will be easy for me. On pizza, in omelets, soup, salads, sauteed on burgers, or just plain raw for a snack. <3

My dirty little secret is out! 😂
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    To me, a lot of the mushrooms are mild in flavor and are just a great vessel for carrying whatever flavor you put in with them. White button mushrooms are like that for me. I don't like them in pizzas anymore but I almost always have mushrooms with whatever vegetable side dish I'm making.

Enoki and shimeji mushrooms are very mild for me. Fresh shiitake is flavorful but super mild compared to dried ones.

One of my favorite restaurants make portabello fries that is just amazing.
  • Phirrgus
    swirlybee wrote: »
    To me, a lot of the mushrooms are mild in flavor and are just a great vessel for carrying whatever flavor you put in with them. White button mushrooms are like that for me. I don't like them in pizzas anymore but I almost always have mushrooms with whatever vegetable side dish I'm making.

Enoki and shimeji mushrooms are very mild for me. Fresh shiitake is flavorful but super mild compared to dried ones.

One of my favorite restaurants make portabello fries that is just amazing.

I've had those home made..yes they are!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member

Mushrooms have a taste?

Mushrooms have a taste?

Me too, love them raw and cooked. I've read that because they are fungi, they do not digest very well raw and shouldn't be consumed raw, but i can't help it. Goes on my salad raw every day, and they're terrific as snacks too. As for people calling them slimy, umm, maybe "slippery" is a better description? Portabella burgers are great too, imo. Have to look into portabella fries, sounds yummy!