175lb weight loss 2 years in!

Replies

• jls1leather9497
    jls1leather9497 Posts: 90 Member
    SNIKEYS that looks like a different guy! Well done!
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Wow amazing !!! Honestly I have so much respect for you being able to keep going and nothing has stoped you!!! Question . What exercise have you started out with ? What made you lose the most weight? I’m curious if it was cardio or lifting ? I’m trying hard but keep getting off track and not sure what path to take with exercise.
    Some said cardio only some said very little cardio and lifting ... not sure who to believe at this point. I will believe what I see .. your total transition
  • Dustin0525
    Dustin0525 Posts: 40 Member
    100toloose wrote: »
    Wow amazing !!! Honestly I have so much respect for you being able to keep going and nothing has stoped you!!! Question . What exercise have you started out with ? What made you lose the most weight? I’m curious if it was cardio or lifting ? I’m trying hard but keep getting off track and not sure what path to take with exercise.
    Some said cardio only some said very little cardio and lifting ... not sure who to believe at this point. I will believe what I see .. your total transition

I started my first 2 months with no exercise, once I got into the groove with my calorie goals and logging them I started exercising. On my third month I started lifting weights, after a month of lifting weights I started cardio. I try 1 hour of weightlifting a day with 30 minutes of cardio. Honestly though If you are not eating correctly you will not lose weight. You can’t exercise enough to lose weight with poor calorie intake. I find weightlifting to be more beneficial for how I look. I don’t really monitor my weight for loss anymore. Good luck to you and let me know if you need any help with anything!
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    edited March 2019
    Totally incredible! Calling People magazine :smile: Question(s). Did you say you lost 175lb in 1 year? When you exercised, did you add back the exercise calories, or did you just eat 1500 regardless of burning say 400 cal via cardio? I'm exercising but not adding the exercise calories and have my daily limit set to 1600 because really it would be approx. 1350 using conservative calorie burn but I can't decide if that's a good idea. That was smart not to weigh yourself as I've become completely discouraged in the past ( plus ruined days ) over a weigh in after having what I thought was a good week. How often did you weigh yourself? You look fab, congrats!
  • nattysmommy2008
    nattysmommy2008 Posts: 26 Member
    That’s so incredible to hear! I need to lose about 50 lbs and I just started getting back to tracking this week after several years off 🤦🏻‍♀️ thanks for sharing! 💕
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Dustin0525 wrote: »
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    Totally incredible! Calling People magazine :smile: Question(s). Did you say you lost 175lb in 1 year? When you exercised, did you add back the exercise calories, or did you just eat 1500 regardless of burning say 400 cal via cardio? I'm exercising but not adding the exercise calories and have my daily limit set to 1600 because really it would be approx. 1350 using conservative calorie burn but I can't decide if that's a good idea. That was smart not to weigh yourself as I've become completely discouraged in the past ( plus ruined days ) over a weigh in after having what I thought was a good week. How often did you weigh yourself? You look fab, congrats!

I lost 167lbs the first year, the last year and a half I have exercised more than ever and still log my calories. I didn’t add back in my exercise calories, I set a strict goal of 1500 a day regardless of exercise. Yesterday I ate 1776 calories but actively burned 1400 exercising. I weighed myself monthly but learned this weight loss thing is finicky, from from the end of August 2017 until the end of October 2017 I didn’t lose a single pound. I did some research and a dietician posted an article about adding fat into a low calorie diet to help with plateaus, I started eating walnuts and organic peanut butter for extra fat and dropped 20lbs the next month.

That is just amazing success! Just when I think I understand health, I don't. 20lb in a month from adding fat, wow! All I know is, I was on a roll doing awesome until I stepped on the scale and saw zero progress. It completely deflated me so I'm tempted to avoid the scale as much as possible this time. Congrats again on your accomplishments.
  • Stew501
    Stew501 Posts: 65 Member
    Great job!
  • jabari18
    jabari18 Posts: 12 Member
    Amazing
  • HootOwl0
    HootOwl0 Posts: 3 Member
    Like you, I'm finding the additional tracking of sugar is very effective; it reduces the cravings. I needed accountability so I purchased a membership to a weight loss program. I won't mention the name here cuz I'm not really following that particular program I'm just doing CICO and low sugar under 20 grams. We'll see how it goes - so far so good.PS your story/pics are AH-mazing! Keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    You rock!
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    Great job!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    wow, hard to believe you are the same person, congrats!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    @Dustin0525 - young man, you look very strong and proud for sure which you deserve every drop. You did and continue doing the hard work and are an inspiration to all who read your journey.

Keep marching forward and enjoy your youth!
  • Aaron949
    Aaron949 Posts: 86 Member
    Outstanding job!
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Congratulations!!! How in the world did you find the self control to make such a big change in your eating habits? The hardest part for me has been sticking to it... I have an incredibly stressful job and work long hours, and I always end up turning to carbs as a pick-me-up when I know I shouldn't.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,127 Member
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    How in the world did you find the self control to make such a big change in your eating habits?

This is the most important question of all. The answer is simply - psychology. Exclude of course the unusual medical/genetic issues a few people have. For us American 2/3rds of whom are overweight or obese, we must use our thoughts to initiate the behaviors that lead to healthy weights. CICO, Paleo, Keto, low sugar, low carbs....they are all good. Cross-Fit, marathons, Pilates, strength training, again, all good.

Ultimately the most pragmatic solution that "the best exercise is the one you will do." Also, "consuming the foods, in whatever intermittent timing, in the sequence, in the combinations that will allow you to stay in a small calorie deficit" will work.

I think being zealous about something (Keto rule, yoga sucks, whatever) kind of helps us psychologically stay moving and eating in a calorie deficit.

Perhaps play more with less money, while reducing the 'stressful' part of your stressful job, or whatever it takes for you to get in a happy frame of mind, that picks you up, so that will feel good about not having "pick-me-ups" carbs.

One thing I fervently believe, it is not easy. Good luck.
  • Dustin0525
    Dustin0525 Posts: 40 Member
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    Congratulations!!! How in the world did you find the self control to make such a big change in your eating habits? The hardest part for me has been sticking to it... I have an incredibly stressful job and work long hours, and I always end up turning to carbs as a pick-me-up when I know I shouldn't.
    I’ve always had mental strength, whenever I do something it consumes me. At this point my eating habits have changed to the point I feel physically ill when I overeat. I think there is a point in everyone’s life that when they are ready they will make the change.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!