I think I'm fit but why can't I plank/push-up?

Options
2»

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    You need to progressively lift heavier to get stronger. Lifting 4 lb dumbbells isn't going to get you anywhere. I start ed out at 8 lbs, doing 3 sets of 10 -12. I also had a trainer set up a routine/program for me. Every week I went up a pound or two depending on the exercise.

I have always been able to do planks and push ups, even when I don't work out, but that is because I walk on forearm crutches, so every single step I take, I lift my body weight. Doing that a few thousand times a day helps. But I still massively increased strength when I started weight lifting.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I think planking is just a different type of activity than most anything else you're doing. Long time runner here, and six months ago I could barely do 20 second planks. Tried doing them every other day before bed (3 sets as long as possible), and a few weeks ago something suddenly clicked and I was able to hold them much longer. There seems to be a very specific way to hold the core and glutes and stuff, and it's a movement I've never experienced before.

Can't do a proper pushup either. Some people say a pushup is like a plank with moving arms. The closest I can get without losing my form is on a table level bar. The same as with everything else, start where you are now and increase in small increments. You'll get there eventually.
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Wow! I haven't checked my post since yesterday and I'm so impressed with the responses!
    Thank you so much everyone (sorry can't thank each poster individually)!
    Some really interesting suggestions which I'm definitely going to try!
    Hopefully, I'll be sharing great progress soon.
    Thanks again everyone!!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Perla4686 wrote: »
    Same with push-ups. I can't do them properly at all. My arms just can't seem to do them right. I just can't go down. PT I had years ago was constantly telling me my arms should be alligned with my shoulders but mine are always sort of slanting forwards.
    I want to improve my core, it's just so frustrating!
    Any advice?

When I was a much fitter person, back in my teens? I could do all kinds of arm strength exercises, including pull-ups, but something about pushups? As I dipped below a certain point, my arms would just fold up. I have never figured out whether its because some other muscle was totally undeveloped or because my arms have some bizarre hinge issue... Have you talked to a trainer about this more recently than when you did PT?
  • mszallar
    mszallar Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know there's been a lot of responses, but I personally love doing core exercises.

One exercise that took me forever to complete was drawing the alphabet with your feet together while on your back. (Like lifting your legs 6 inches, then drawing in the air.) Do capital letters first. If you make it through those, do lower case.

This will help strengthen your core and complete those planks. Take breaks as necessary.

Hope that helps!
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you can’t hold a plank for 5 seconds I suspect something’s wrong with form.. can you do crunches, leg raises, etc?