Protein bar trickery

Options

Replies

• Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    She said "I really need help finding protein bars that taste like actual food and are good for the body. " So tell me again how an almond is a kind of protein bar since you're going to tell me what the goal was.

Beat me to it! :D
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    OP, depends on why you decided to add protein bars to your diet. Do you think you need more protein?
    Are you seeking an alternative to candy bars that feels more healthy to you? Do you want a snack that provides some nutrients? Something else?

I don't care for protein bars. Used to eat them occasionally and then just stopped liking any of them (and the ones I ate before I found just so so). Mainly I ate them as a quick breakfast or lunch on the go, as I travel a lot and you can generally find them in airports.

If your goal is more protein, consider something like greek yogurt or cottage cheese or perhaps a hard boiled egg (although that will have less protein). If just a healthy/filling snack, there are tons of options -- veg, fruit, nuts are all easy enough to carry around. (Protein bars have the benefit of being portable.)
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    ozz123456 wrote: »
    There's a new yogurt by Dannon Oikos triple O. No added sugar, artificial sweeteners, 0 fat. 15g protein. It uses Stevie leaf.

I love this yogurt-it also has 6g of fiber :)
  • obeaner2
    obeaner2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've made some of my own protein balls in the past - protein powder, oats, powdered peanut butter w/ a little water, and almond butter. I divide them up into an appropriate portion size for me based on typically calories available.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Have you tried Quest bars? No protein bar is going to taste like “regular food,” they are all highly processed. Maybe eat something else for snacks that actually is real food?

I LOVE Quest bars. I have one nearly every day as part of my lunch. The ones I eat have 20 g of protein. Some people like to soften them in the microwave, but I like them just they way they are in the package. I bought lots of individual bars in various flavors at the grocery store. Now I subscribe to my favorite flavors on Amazon.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I make my own. i make a batch of like 16 at a time. the only "issue" is they are not shelf stable (there may be some that are, the ones i like making are not). this way i have full control of ingredients and can adjust to the taste to my liking.
  • lightenuplori
    lightenuplori Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love Built bars. They are best refrigerated or frozen, but they taste like a candy bar.
  • RainbowLemon
    RainbowLemon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Edit: Looking through the replies I see that I wasn’t very clear. I travel ALOT I’m rarely home and for meals I would just get junk food. I’m trying to combat that in different ways. I figured protein bars would be a good substitute to a small meal/snack.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    There is no magic to protein bars, and many are loaded with sugar. If you want to avoid sugar and have a healthy snack, try almonds. You can bring them anywhere, and they taste good and are good for you.

Another suggestion is plain greek yogurt...lots of protein, no added sugar. You can mix in some natural peanut butter or berries if you prefer flavor.

If the idea is to get in protein, I don't see almonds working out very well. To get 20 grams of protein like a lot of protein bars, it will take roughly 95 grams, with 547 calories. Even a Luna Bar (which isn't really a protein bar) is going to get more protein per calorie at 2.5 bars to get 2 grams for 500 calories.

He didn't say the main goal was to get more protein. He said the idea was to eat healthy and, specifically, to find a snack that was compatible with that goal. He also expressed an interest in avoiding high amounts of sugar. A serving of almonds has 164 calories and 6 grams of protein...not bad at all for a snack. They meet both of his stated criteria, and are useful in supplementing protein.

The Luna bars you mention don't have much more protein than a single serving of almonds...looks like several listed in the mfp database only have 8-10 grams and are close to 200 (several seem to be 180) calories. At least almonds don't have all the sugar!

Even if that's what the OP said (it isn't), "healthy" is very subjective.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Edit: Looking through the replies I see that I wasn’t very clear. I travel ALOT I’m rarely home and for meals I would just get junk food. I’m trying to combat that in different ways. I figured protein bars would be a good substitute to a small meal/snack.

Honestly in terms of bars, I like (and find satiating as a snack) some flavors of RXBars, clif bars, and perfect bars (though those are best refrigerated). I also like kind bars and I used to love Luna bars (I haven't had one in years - I'm sure there are flavors I still like). Unless you have a reason to limit the amount of sugar you're consuming, there isn't a need to avoid any of those due to sugar content. My main "eh do I really want to buy this?" in relation to bars has more to do with cost than anything.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    There is no magic to protein bars, and many are loaded with sugar. If you want to avoid sugar and have a healthy snack, try almonds. You can bring them anywhere, and they taste good and are good for you.

Another suggestion is plain greek yogurt...lots of protein, no added sugar. You can mix in some natural peanut butter or berries if you prefer flavor.

If the idea is to get in protein, I don't see almonds working out very well. To get 20 grams of protein like a lot of protein bars, it will take roughly 95 grams, with 547 calories. Even a Luna Bar (which isn't really a protein bar) is going to get more protein per calorie at 2.5 bars to get 2 grams for 500 calories.

He didn't say the main goal was to get more protein. He said the idea was to eat healthy and, specifically, to find a snack that was compatible with that goal. He also expressed an interest in avoiding high amounts of sugar. A serving of almonds has 164 calories and 6 grams of protein...not bad at all for a snack. They meet both of his stated criteria, and are useful in supplementing protein.

The Luna bars you mention don't have much more protein than a single serving of almonds...looks like several listed in the mfp database only have 8-10 grams and are close to 200 (several seem to be 180) calories. At least almonds don't have all the sugar!

Yes, it is subjective. And I pointed that out. So what is your point exactly?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Better macros than a candy bar.
    And storable wherever for when you need food on a ride or after a run and have to be on the way to somewhere else.

I usually go with balance bars (<$1, about 200 calories, enough protein to count as a protein bar) (definitely sweet so probably a lot of sugar, but I don't care). Also Luna and Clif food bars (less protein than protein bars, but still serve the purpose of getting me fed while on the go between running and dancing or in the car on the way to the gym). Yep, sweet.

I personally don't know of any that aren't sweetened, whether with sugar /sugary ingredients or artificial sweetener (they would probably taste pretty bad IMO). You might have preferable options to food/protein bars if non-perishability isn't a requirement depending on your reason for eating the Luna bars.
  • aokoye
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Yes, it is subjective. And I pointed that out. So what is your point exactly?

I'm not seeing where you pointed that out actually. So to repeat, my points were that a. "eating healthy" was not mentioned in the first post and b. "healthy" is subjective. A sub point is that c. sugar isn't automatically unhealthy. If you need to avoid it due to a medical condition then ok, but that hasn't been indicated by the OP.
  • ritzvin
    Options

I wouldn't fret over the sugar if you are meeting recommended fat and protein and aren't getting hungry again shortly after. Peanut butter stores well. I usually have a small supply of bars and single peanut butter tubs with me when out or traveling. Along with yogurt singles for multi - day trips if it won't be anywhere too hot for too long.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Single-cheeses, cottage cheese, yogurt, TV dinners, quick oats/other cereal and milk can be gotten at most quickie-marts, and they'll often have a microwave available.