Protein bar trickery

Options

Replies

• Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Power Crunch protein bars. 200 calories, very low sugar, tasty and doesn't upset my stomach.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Check out Lara Bars -- date based, probably the lowest total ingredients of any bars out there.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    I'm not seeing where you pointed that out actually. So to repeat, my points were that a. "eating healthy" was not mentioned in the first post and b. "healthy" is subjective. A sub point is that c. sugar isn't automatically unhealthy. If you need to avoid it due to a medical condition then ok, but that hasn't been indicated by the OP.

Actually, I did point that out. I wrote (I'll paste it again for you...no need to thank me!):

"She started off by saying she was trying to eat more healthy (not defined, so we are free to interpret that the way we think most likely) "

Let me try to make this even more clear for you (I'm in a very helpful mood today...lucky you!): saying someone didn't define how they are using a word and that we are therefore free to interpret it in the way that makes sense to us is, in effect, saying that the word is highly subjective by nature. See, it's there!

As to your new issues:

a) You're mistaken again! Eating healthy was mentioned by the OP in the very first post in this thread. She said "Hi! I’ve recently gotten much more serious about eating healthy "

b) We've already covered this. Yes, eating healthy is subjective. I agree. I pointed that out TWICE for you! See, we agree!

c) I never said that sugar is unhealthy (this too is subjective, btw. Many people do see it as unhealthy. Just like "healthy", it is up for debate) so I'm not sure (again!) why you even bring this up. Also, OP in her FIRST POST specifically said the following about the protein bars that taste good:

"The only problem is apparently they have a pretty high amount of sugar".

This very strongly implies that she...for some reason ...does view sugar as unhealthy, or even if she doesn't, for some reason she prefers not to eat a lot of it. There is nothing wrong with that. Since she CLEARLY desires to not eat a lot of sugar, most people here are giving suggestions that work with that desire. So, once again, I am really not sure what your problem is.

How lucky I am! You, clearly, are the kindest of people B) You're even coming close to reading my mind in your addressing of my third point.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I quite like the Herbalife ones, much as I’m not keen on their business model, I just buy a box off a friend, no strings, every now and then. For the money and macros I think they make a good post-run treat. I like the vanilla-almond flavour.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I like quest bars, but the artificial sweetener upsets my stomach. So I usually defer to protein shakes these days. When I am picking up a bar, it's typically the Snickers protein bar. It has real (reasonable) carbs, and is fairly balanced between carbs and protein. Have you looked into these?

IMO a bar with 6g protein isn't worth eating, unless I was just trying to get the calories in.

Perhaps you would be happier doing some meal prep for items that are easily transportable in baggies or containers, instead of relying on bars. :) (no shade in this comment... some people don't consider taking containers along with them until someone else reminds them that it's not as hard as it seems).
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I love Quest bars. And they are so high in fiber. My dietitian recommends them.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Back to the topic at hand. Outside of what I already listed, I am also a big fan of applesauce as a snack (or raw apples, but I prefer applesauce). I'll make a large batch every few weeks and add whatever flavors I like. If think it'll take more than a week to get through I'll can it in half pint jars, if not I'll stick it in the fridge.

In general snacks are challenging for me as I don't like most dairy products, am not a big fan of most nuts, don't like nut butter (even if it's from nuts that I like), etc. In short - snacks are where I'm picky. I've found over the past few months snacks have been apples, apple sauce, clif bars, or RX bars.

When I was living in Germany it was bread instead of the bars, but I also lived walking distance from multiple good bakeries at the time so making sure I had a few good bread rolls on hand wasn't hard.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I like quest bars, but the artificial sweetener upsets my stomach. So I usually defer to protein shakes these days. When I am picking up a bar, it's typically the Snickers protein bar. It has real (reasonable) carbs, and is fairly balanced between carbs and protein. Have you looked into these?

IMO a bar with 6g protein isn't worth eating, unless I was just trying to get the calories in.

Perhaps you would be happier doing some meal prep for items that are easily transportable in baggies or containers, instead of relying on bars. :) (no shade in this comment... some people don't consider taking containers along with them until someone else reminds them that it's not as hard as it seems).

Hmm, I don't recall that the sucralose in the Quest bar I ate upset my stomach, but I sure did find the taste to be nasty.

1068866.gif
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Hmm, I don't recall that the sucralose in the Quest bar I ate upset my stomach, but I sure did find the taste to be nasty.

1068866.gif

I am sensitive to some of the fibers like oligosaccharides and erythritols. I can have one on a rare occasion, but regularly means I better cancel my workout and stay home.

Sucralose in reasonable amounts, and without the fiber listed above, doesn't cause me GI upset very often.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I'm not seeing where you pointed that out actually. So to repeat, my points were that a. "eating healthy" was not mentioned in the first post and b. "healthy" is subjective. A sub point is that c. sugar isn't automatically unhealthy. If you need to avoid it due to a medical condition then ok, but that hasn't been indicated by the OP.

Actually, I did point that out. I wrote (I'll paste it again for you...no need to thank me!):

"She started off by saying she was trying to eat more healthy (not defined, so we are free to interpret that the way we think most likely) "

Let me try to make this even more clear for you (I'm in a very helpful mood today...lucky you!): saying someone didn't define how they are using a word and that we are therefore free to interpret it in the way that makes sense to us is, in effect, saying that the word is highly subjective by nature. See, it's there!

As to your new issues:

a) You're mistaken again! Eating healthy was mentioned by the OP in the very first post in this thread. She said "Hi! I’ve recently gotten much more serious about eating healthy "

b) We've already covered this. Yes, eating healthy is subjective. I agree. I pointed that out TWICE for you! See, we agree!

c) I never said that sugar is unhealthy (this too is subjective, btw. Many people do see it as unhealthy. Just like "healthy", it is up for debate) so I'm not sure (again!) why you even bring this up. Also, OP in her FIRST POST specifically said the following about the protein bars that taste good:

"The only problem is apparently they have a pretty high amount of sugar".

This very strongly implies that she...for some reason ...does view sugar as unhealthy, or even if she doesn't, for some reason she prefers not to eat a lot of it. There is nothing wrong with that. Since she CLEARLY desires to not eat a lot of sugar, most people here are giving suggestions that work with that desire. So, once again, I am really not sure what your problem is.

How lucky I am! You, clearly, are the kindest of people B) You're even coming close to reading my mind in your addressing of my third point.

I'm happy to help! Have a great evening.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like Quest bars. Think thin has a lower calorie bar if you are just eating it as a snack and not meal replacement. Unfortunately none of them will give you the satisfaction like real food.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I've tried Lara bars and RX Bars. I'd unequivocally rather go hungry.

The only bar I care enough to eat because it actually tastes good is Power Crunch red velvet. But I'm not fooling myself; it's just a tiny step up nutritionally from a Kit Kat :tongue:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'm not actually a fan of Larabars or Quest bars -- both are edible and not IMO terrible, but I can think of a lot of tastier ways to spend the calories (for me) with nutrition that is at least as good.

Don't see any issue with sugar alcohols, though, unless you have a negative reaction to them, which I do not. I mostly think foods with actual sugar (including most fruits) taste better, but I'm not a big fan of dates, so I'll take plain greek yogurt with some raspberries if we are playing foods I'd personally rather eat (and like the Quest bar that choice has a lot more protein than a typical Larabar). I'd be silly to claim my preference is inherently superior to someone else's though -- if one really likes Quest bars (or Larabars), there's nothing wrong with them.