“But there aren’t any calories in sour cream.”

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I told a friend that I don't do a whole lot of smoothies (referring to restaurant smoothies mainly) because I'm a fast drinker and feel like I don't even enjoy it, just slurp it down...so I'm more satisfied with regular food than a smoothie. She said, "But with smoothies, it's not actually the calories of food, it's just the calories of juice because it's all compressed".

Wha?! In talking further I realized she truly believed this to be true. She regularly gets this smoothie with nut butter and protein powder in it (along with her sandwich) and she's not a calorie counter but she is trying to lose weight. Sometimes I just have to exit those conversations.

I'd so much rather eat real meals. Give me a steak, roasted potatoes, mushrooms and a salad any day rather than a smoothie.

Exactly! I know people feel differently about this. I know one guy in particular who doesn't really like vegetables in general so he "has to" blend it in a smoothie or juice to get his veggies in. But yeah, I'd so rather eat "meals"! I have a Vitamix and use it a lot but the only time I really make smoothies, they're a little unsweetened almond milk, hemp protein, and bananas and maybe some cocoa. Like a 160 calorie smoothie, that's more my speed than a 500+ cal "meal replacement". Just personal preference!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    rosiorama wrote: »

A co-worker of mine regularly comments on how good I look and has repeatedly asked how I do it. I tell her I count calories, and explain that I go to the gym/walk/bike. She then seems disappointed, and the repetitive questioning suggests she’s waiting for me to reveal some easy magical part that I’ve previously omitted.

For certain I gained weight because I made a lot of bad choices over a long period of time. To lose it, I have to make a lot of good choices over a long period of time. This seems reasonable to me.

I do think people are looking for the "magic whatever" so that they can continue to make bad choices and look like a supermodel or an Olympic swimmer or something. This "magic whatever" exists in the private universe they have concocted. I have my feet somewhat better planted in reality.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    I don't see what would be a "jaw dropper" about putting skim milk vs whole milk in your coffee. Seems like legit advice to me unless you were trying to do a keto "bullet proof" kind of thing, but in that case you wouldn't wantto use milk to begin with.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    TarahByte wrote: »
    I'm still on the whole "butter in coffee is good for you" claim

That made me gag. in what part of the world is this okay?!?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    "I made a cake, but it's okay because it's fat free, I got it from weight watchers magazine, you can have as much as you want"