Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,361 Member
    @snoo61 & @snowflake Thanks for the great suggestions! Had forgotten about the Habitat restores.
    Almost filled up the back of my daughter's truck with leaving items. Came across a couple of bags AND a box full of more market bags. Taking those into work for another area that's regularly passing out groceries to parents.
  • cory17
    I love going to the Habitat Restore here, so many things you might need at a very good prices. My husband has gotten electrical things, & a lot of little things. One of my grandkids broke the cover on the hall light & it seemed an odd size, but found one there that worked great. It was a "chandelier", got it for $18, took the cover off & sold the rest at the garage sale. Some of the stores even have furniture.

My favorite furniture has come from thrift stores and craigslist.
  • cory17
    Anyone know what happened to @NewLIFEstyle4ME ?
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    cory17 wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to @NewLIFEstyle4ME ?

I think she's taking a break from computers. She said she was going to enjoy her new energy, and put it to good use. :)
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Yeah, this post has been pretty quiet lately!
  • snoo61
    Yeah, this post has been pretty quiet lately!

It really has. I'm hoping to post more often...as in get my butt back in gear. Time to get the holiday closet cleaned out!
  • snoo61
    I went through a kitchen box from the back room. I threw almost all of it out. Salvaged a few things that I will use or give away. Hopefully, I'll get another one done tomorrow. Found a church that seems to still be collecting for the hurricane victims! I have a lot of kitchen items in boxes in the back. Someone needs them.
  • cory17
    snoo61 wrote: »
    I went through a kitchen box from the back room. I threw almost all of it out. Salvaged a few things that I will use or give away. Hopefully, I'll get another one done tomorrow. Found a church that seems to still be collecting for the hurricane victims! I have a lot of kitchen items in boxes in the back. Someone needs them.

Great job!! Isn't it amazing how when your usable things are going to somewhere or someone specific who can USE them, it's easier to let go?

My dh is determined to reduce what is in our garage. Last week he pulled out all our Halloween and Christmas decoration bins and says let's go through them this upcoming weekend. Granted the last few years I haven't really had the energy to put out/take down, and we haven't put up outdoor lights (so those are going). It's all great condition. Trying to decide what should keep??
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    I downsized my Christmas decorations 2 years ago when we moved, I went from 9 totes to 6. I still miss some of my decorations, but my daughters got first dibs and then their friends chose some before I sold a bunch.

I need to get at my china cabinet, I want a smaller one and I will need to empty some out before I can do that.

I have a lot to do still, but am sort of waiting for nicer weather.
  • snoo61
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME its great to hear from you! You continue to inspire me by conquering the trials of everyday life. Well done!
  • snoo61
    I downsized my Christmas decorations 2 years ago when we moved, I went from 9 totes to 6. I still miss some of my decorations, but my daughters got first dibs and then their friends chose some before I sold a bunch.

I need to get at my china cabinet, I want a smaller one and I will need to empty some out before I can do that.

I have a lot to do still, but am sort of waiting for nicer weather.

I keep planning to go through my decorations, but get distracted by the million other boxes I have. I'm trying to get through a box a day, successfully most of the time. We are planning to move in a couple years, and I don't plan to take anything we don't use.
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Time for the spring cleaning! Time to make a time schedule to make this work.
    Thank you for the initiative (of putting it all down here or of refreshing the thread for ppl who kept commenting in it). :flowerforyou: @all
  • snoo61
    Well, the box dh brought in, for me to go through today, is apparently his stuff. He's going to go through some of it tonight, and bring another one in for me to go through tomorrow. Progress being made!
  • snoo61
    dewit wrote: »
    Time for the spring cleaning! Time to make a time schedule to make this work.
    Thank you for the initiative (of putting it all down here or of refreshing the thread for ppl who kept commenting in it). :flowerforyou: @all

I really need to do a cleaning schedule for daily and weekly.
  • snoo61
    I inadvertently started spring cleaning yesterday. I had one cupboard that needed organized so I did that and then when I turned around and saw the crystal vases on top of my china cabinet I though they needed cleaned. I climbed up to take them down to clean and then looked at the inside. I ended up cleaning all the dishes in my china cabinet and pulling it out to wash the wall in behind it. I washed one mark off the wall and have ended up washing all the walls in the kitchen and dining room. Rearranged some pictures on the wall and have one reusable shopping bag of stuff to take to the thrift store.

Now I need to do the bedroom and craft room.

Good for you! The inadvertent cleaning is the best! I always love to get something unexpected done.
  • snoo61
    Dh went through the box yesterday, he got rid of a lot more than I expected.
    I have boxes of castle parts in the back room, and he brought 2 of them in. I've been dreading looking at these, expecting everything to be ruined. I was excited to find everything in pristine condition!
    Needless to say, I didn't get rid of anything, but now I can stitch all the walls, floors, etc. together for the grandkids!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!