Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    LOL, and I just went and lit our incinerator (24-gallon drum) and burned the diary/journals I most hated!

I'm keeping the ones with just dates of events.

See, THAT's what I'm talking about....BOOM!!!!

snoo61 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    LOL, and I just went and lit our incinerator (24-gallon drum) and burned the diary/journals I most hated!

I'm keeping the ones with just dates of events.

I got rid of mine years ago, I didn't want my teenage daughter finding them! :D

I love it--BOOM!!!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Today’s goal: Set timer for 30 minutes, grab a bag and de-clutter.
    I am drowning in it. Family has been home for holiday weekend.

I seem to keep de-cluttering the same place. Some of it is my son’s books/memorabilia that he dumps in my craft room. I should just haul it in the basement and label the boxes. He’s in college so he doesnt have time to go through the things. He sold a bunch on ebay.

I see a problem with being a collector. It really creates clutter. And you get that initial high from buying something, but then it just sits there. (Talking about my son who collects movie memorabilia )

I know I can only de-clutter my own things. So, that’s my focus today.

The battle is REAL and it's often DAILY too. Please know that you are so NOT alone and cheers to you for daring to even think about let alone attempt to tackle these irritating/frustrating/necessary issue(s). YAY you and
    {{{{{{{ <3 HUGS <3 }}}}}}}}

Thanks for your encouragement! Xoxo
    This morning, I cleaned out our pantry. Got rid of old things and reorganized some other things.
    Do you guys ever find that after you clean a drawer, closet or room, you keep peeking at it? And smiling!! It feels so good to be organized.

My absolute pleasure and THANK you so much for your contributions to this thread!
    <3<3o:)<3<3
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

Steph_135 wrote: »
    @NewLIFEstyle4ME Thanks for the warm welcome!

I didn't get to the filing cabinet yet... Instead, I decided to tackle the 2 boxes of books. Half are being donated.

You are MORE than welcomed!

Boom and YAY YOU! You're doing very well--hurry is a nasty little something--REFUSE any thoughts or "feelings" of I gotta hurry up and do (fill in the blank) NOPE, take your time and do it right. At your own pace and with "aint nobody got the time nor space for this useless (but good-looking, fun, nice, whatever( STUFF/mess).
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Today’s goal: Set timer for 30 minutes, grab a bag and de-clutter.
    I am drowning in it. Family has been home for holiday weekend.

I seem to keep de-cluttering the same place. Some of it is my son’s books/memorabilia that he dumps in my craft room. I should just haul it in the basement and label the boxes. He’s in college so he doesnt have time to go through the things. He sold a bunch on ebay.

I see a problem with being a collector. It really creates clutter. And you get that initial high from buying something, but then it just sits there. (Talking about my son who collects movie memorabilia )

I know I can only de-clutter my own things. So, that’s my focus today.

I have decluttered the same places ever since I can remember. I've started putting things on the couch if they don't have a place. I ask hubby for ideas, but after a week if its not put away somewhere, it goes in the donate box. I am a sorry excuse for a house cleaner, so the reality is, I get an area clean and then forget about it. This process has me actually looking at things, and hopefully, improving. I'm trying and so are you...I'm proud of us.

Man oh man Snoo...I LOVE your attitude and keeping it so real is just everything. I appreciate you and you are helping FAR more people than you can even imagine with your replies. Thank you Boo!!!! <3o:)<3
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    @Orphia @snoo61 I don't know if I could ever get rid of my diaries. Sounds liberating though! I've been writing since pre-1999!

@NewLIFEstyle4ME Thanks for the advice! :)

@JessiBelleW Prepping before a move is so much better than the alternative!! When my family last moved, we were so rushed, we had to take EVERYTHING! Now that another move is looming, we are all on the "get rid of this stuff we never use, but have kept for years and years" boat.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    @Orphia @snoo61 I don't know if I could ever get rid of my diaries. Sounds liberating though! I've been writing since pre-1999!

@JessiBelleW Prepping before a move is so much better than the alternative!! When my family last moved, we were so rushed, we had to take EVERYTHING! Now that another move is looming, we are all on the "get rid of this stuff we never use, but have kept for years and years" boat.

I wrote mine when I was a teenager, really didn't want my teenager reading them! :D
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

I wrote mine when I was a teenager, really didn't want my teenager reading them! :D

I got rid of the ones I made when I went through a really bad period. I've learned a lot from it, but did not want to be reminded of it anymore.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member

I've moved countries on average every year and a half and my stuff always multiplies! This week I am also set to tackle my paperwork - I have a whole draw of it
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Allie1618 wrote: »
    Today I plan to declutter trash. Go through the entire house with a big black trash bag and throw out broken toys, old cosmetics, paper work, expired food, etc. I also plan to unpack my fire evacuation boxes, which have been stacked by the back door since July. It’s finally raining!

Sound like a tremendous and victorious day for you Allie (and a lot of N.E.A.T. exercise too)...I love it--YAY YOU!!!!

<3o:)<3

I'm going to reorganize the laundry room (again) and put some new shelving up. Make it even more "cuter" and more practical use of the space.

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    hazeleni wrote: »
    One of the quotes that stuck with me last years was.. Does it make ME happy? Does it bring ME joy? Does it have a purpose in my life?
    It happened slowly, without me realising it but I guess it did happen.
    First, embracing myself more and enjoying my own company for many days. I don't need to go out with people I dont want to see or talk to, I dont go out if I am not in the mood. I much prefer going out window shopping on my own rather than with friends. I remember my partner thinking it is so strange that I have friends I love but see them once in a month. But I am happier this way.
    I had friends that we mutually supported each other but let them go when I felt they didnt bring me happiness anymore. And I didnt feel sad at all.. I felt relieved.
    Then all the papers,, notebooks, pens, and all the crap I had collected throughout the years.
    Then the clothes I hadnt worn in years. I took out 4 garbage bags worth of clothes. I mean .like 10 cardigans and 15 bags. Now I see my wardrobe and everything has a purpose.
    Then it was the weight.. Still have a lot to go but I am halfway there.
    Then.. Trying to get the toxic behaviour out of me. Admitting my flaws ,asking forgiveness from myself and others and letting go of the past. This is the most difficult part I think. Still have a lomg, loooong way ahead of me.
    Today I got in a store and wanting to pick up some gifts to DIY. I noticed that I was asking myself "does it have a purpose?" for every thing i picked up. Last year i would have bought everything. I left happy, with the things i needed, and with money in my pocket.

Letting go and decluttering should be our lifestyle, especially when trying to drop the weight and embrace ourselves.

Hi Hazel~
    You, my dear are a winner, period. Thank you EVER so much for contributing to this thread. You post is going to help a lot of peoplr, including me! YAY YOU!!!!
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member

Hi Hazel~
    You, my dear are a winner, period. Thank you EVER so much for contributing to this thread. You post is going to help a lot of peoplr, including me! YAY YOU!!!![/quote]

You made me smile!

• Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    This is such a positive thread! Despite some eye-rolling when I read Marie Kondo's "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up," some of her methods have really worked for me (pulling out all items of a certain type and thinking about which ones still bring me joy). I have managed to pare down my possessions quite a bit and it is surprisingly freeing.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited December 2018
    hazeleni wrote: »

Hi Hazel~
    You, my dear are a winner, period. Thank you EVER so much for contributing to this thread. You post is going to help a lot of peoplr, including me! YAY YOU!!!!

You made me smile!

My pleasure and I just am so happy to inspire you to smile. Smiling is so under-rated and it feels so good too! Thank you again for contributing to this thread!

This is such a positive thread! Despite some eye-rolling when I read Marie Kondo's "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up," some of her methods have really worked for me (pulling out all items of a certain type and thinking about which ones still bring me joy). I have managed to pare down my possessions quite a bit and it is surprisingly freeing.

It's quite pleasantly surprising the "eye-rolling" stuff that is/can/may help us...isn't it? I sooo agree and am thrilled about how "freeing" paring down one's "stuff" is. YAY YOU and thank you so much for contributing to this thread!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!