Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• kittrelle
    Options
    Did you read an Atkins book to make sure you're doing it correctly?? I ask because one of the symptoms of low sodium is dizziness. Dr. Atkins recommended drinking broth twice a day to alleviate that. Few people do it. It's weird that our way of eating is low in sodium even with all the meat, but there you go. The book gives ways to cope with other side effects as well. Safety comes first!!
  • kittrelle
    Options
    Went to the fair last night and had fried cheese curds and a custard turtle sundae. I'm owning it!! The first five curds were deeeelicious. The rest?? I could've thrown away, but I paid six bucks for them!! The sundae was heaven. I did notice that I started to sweat profusely with the cheese curds...I actually sat down a minute. I don't know if it was the rush of eating something naughty after 2 months or insulin spiking due to the breading. :(

I'm back on the wagon today- gonna slam water and keep the carbs lower than usual. I made that bacon and egg pie from Martha Stewart that someone posted a couple days ago. It's DELICIOUS!!! Gonna make it next time with MORE mushrooms and maybe some spinach. Enjoy the day everyone. Nice, cool and breezy here in OH so I'm gonna go for a jog!
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    They are like brainwashed lemmings! Hello the healthiest people on the planet the Inuits eat nothing but meat and fat and only develop cancer or other modern diseases when they stray from this diet. Meat has everything we need the "balanced diet" was a modern invention that was thought to be needed due to the wheat and other grains depleting the natural balance years ago and causing rickets, scurvy, etc. As for Dr. Atkins burning in Hell, he deserves sainthood for saving so many lives and being able to stand up to the diatribe of the FDA at the time. The man had to have had some thick skin! The newest Atkins book isn't even written by him but rather by doctors from Duke and other prestigious universities that used Atkins in medical studies and found it to be the BEST diet for weightloss and good health for a lifetime not just to drop a few pounds. Stanford did their own study and the head doctor on that study was a 25yr vegetarian and was shocked by the results but had to admit that of the diets they used in the study Atkins was the best and shoed the most marked improvement in the heart disease factors tracked in the study. It's on Youtube if you want to watch his overview- Diets who's winning at losing or something like that is the title.

Martinah4- I started with induction then moved up but I have to keep going back to induction or I can't break plateaus. I follow a Paleo/Primal diet but I am allergic to beef, nuts (except hazelnuts), and spinach and broccoli among other things so my diet is limited to the veggies I can eat and the meats. I was at less than 20gm effective for 2 weeks to even lose a pound last time and I weigh 295 so it really shouldn't be that hard but my doctor says my body is resisting since it has lost almost half of itself which is a tough spot for all dieters. Hope once i am past teh 270 mark my body will be okay with it but I have a feeling the struggle is going to continue. I tried a reset this weekend and ate carbs then back to all protein except veggies at dinner yesterday and today so far all protein in shakes. Hope to shock my system back into losing.

On protein shakes I do them several times a week and actually do the best when I replace meals with them then eat meat and veggies for dinner. I use Champion Whey Protein stack in chocolate, and It makes coffee taste like a mocha yum! It's 4gm and 1.5 of fiber per scoop so 2.5 effective gm of carbs.

Amy - are you getting enough fat? Do you eat coconut oil? You don't mention eating any fats at all. There are some Atkin-ers that eat up to 70% fat everyday. What's your protein %?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    the Inuits eat nothing but meat and fat and only develop cancer or other modern diseases when they stray from this diet.
    I took a class on the Sonoran Desert last year (I live in it) and part of what we studied was the diet of the native Tohono O'odham indians. When the Spanish came in they had them grow wheat and raise cattle here. While it certainly improved their subsistence level diet, they traded their tepary and mesquite beans for pinto beans and rice and in the last 100 years they've started eating the same processed crap Americans and Mexicans eat. They have some of the worst incidences of diabetes and other health related issues that you can imagine. Their bodies are built to eat what their ancestors ate and it isn't all of the processed carbs they are eating now. The point is, not everyone is made to eat the way the USDA says we should.

Same thing happen with the Pima Indians. They are one of the most studied groups as it pertains to obesity and diabetes.
    The Pimas are the Akimel O'odham and they are very closely related to the Tohono O'odham in southern AZ.
  • fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all of the advice on this forum. I had my first day of induction yesterday without any headaches or dizziness. I made sure to include some salt and drank 15 cups of water to avoid dehydration. Day 2 is going well so far!

Thanks everyone!!!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It's a common trend on this way of life. Some people call it "the whoosh fairy". There was some article written that compared it to your body holding the fat in a bucket until it gets filled, and then it dumps it out in a WHOOOOOSH. Errr... something like that. Lemme do some digging and see if I can find it. There's no science behind it, but it's an interesting read.

Edit: Here you go!

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

You and Alyssa are very encouraging! I've been at the same weight going on two weeks now, and I'm getting pretty impatient! I'm going to check out this link. Also, I've been making some dumb food choices, and haven't been taking my multi-vitamon or fish oil for about a week. Do you think that may be part of why I'm stalling?
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Confession Time!!!!!

I had three tiny croutons with my lunch salad today. Oh, and my office pantry does not have heavy cream, so I used half n half in my decaf coffee. AND...I've only had 50 ounces of water today. I try to get 80 ounces in before 2pm or else my commute home will be a nightmare. It's about an hour subway ride and no bathrooms lol.

On a good note, this is only my second cup of coffee in over two weeks. I used to be seriously addicted. Like, my husband would go to great lengths to make sure I had my coffee on the weekends lol. Poor guy. He is so awesome!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Confession Time!!!!!

I had three tiny croutons with my lunch salad today. Oh, and my office pantry does not have heavy cream, so I used half n half in my decaf coffee. AND...I've only had 50 ounces of water today. I try to get 80 ounces in before 2pm or else my commute home will be a nightmare. It's about an hour subway ride and no bathrooms lol.

On a good note, this is only my second cup of coffee in over two weeks. I used to be seriously addicted. Like, my husband would go to great lengths to make sure I had my coffee on the weekends lol. Poor guy. He is so awesome!

half & half isn't bad. We'll forgive the croutons ;)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Why do people have to be so mean and condescending? Ugh whatever...

I'm almost done with my second 1.5 liter bottle of water. It's 2:17pm, and I leave the office at 4pm. I think I'm gonna wait till I get home to drink the rest he he he
  • DahnaLane
    DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    To make things even easier....

I find it terribly inconvenient to get out all of the ingredients and dirty the measuring utensils every day. I usually make up the dry ingredients for a week's worth of MIMs on Sunday. I make different flavors for the week, so I don't get bored, and store each one in a little snack-sized baggie labeled with its flavor using a Sharpie. I have a half dozen styrofoam egg carton that I use to take the 5 eggs with me that I'll need to make them at work, and keep a small tub of margarine in the fridge there, too. Since I usually eat my breakfast at work, this makes it ultra-convenient and practical for me. I save the weekends for flavor experiments.

You'll probably be eating them at home but you can still pre-measure the dry ingredients (flax meal, baking powder, cinnamon/cocoa powder, splenda) into baggies and then just add your wet ingredients and/or flavoring each morning.

:happy: I am doing the same thing. It really makes it faster.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • DahnaLane
    DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm... pancakes!

I made a basic MiM last night in a small bowl, and made some banana whipped cream to put on top. It was awesome! Drank it with some un-sweetened coconut milk.

Banana whipped cream:
    - 1/4 cup cold heavy whipping cream
    - 1/4 tbs banana extract
    - 1 tbs splenda (powder)
    Whip in blender until it gets to the thickness you like.

Oh, thanks! I am swiping this for my recipe box.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's a common trend on this way of life. Some people call it "the whoosh fairy". There was some article written that compared it to your body holding the fat in a bucket until it gets filled, and then it dumps it out in a WHOOOOOSH. Errr... something like that. Lemme do some digging and see if I can find it. There's no science behind it, but it's an interesting read.

You and Alyssa are very encouraging! I've been at the same weight going on two weeks now, and I'm getting pretty impatient! I'm going to check out this link. Also, I've been making some dumb food choices, and haven't been taking my multi-vitamon or fish oil for about a week. Do you think that may be part of why I'm stalling?
    I'd think it's probably the "dumb food choices" more than the vitamins or fish oil. Are you eating too many carbs? Getting enough fat?
  • martinah4
    Options

I'd think it's probably the "dumb food choices" more than the vitamins or fish oil. Are you eating too many carbs? Getting enough fat?

I rarely go over 25 net carbs a day. I guess I have to admit that I haven't been drinking enough water lately, and I let my husband make me a low-carb tortilla (3 c) with 2 oz. of cheese one day (smoked gouda--couldn't turn it down). I don't usually eat but 1 of those tortillas a week. So, in a nutshell, dumb food choices. A couple of days, I didn't even log my food, because it was a run around, hectic kind of day. Guess I need to tighten up the ship.
  • martinah4
    Options

I rarely go over 25 net carbs a day. I guess I have to admit that I haven't been drinking enough water lately, and I let my husband make me a low-carb tortilla (3 c) with 2 oz. of cheese one day (smoked gouda--couldn't turn it down). I don't usually eat but 1 of those tortillas a week. So, in a nutshell, dumb food choices. A couple of days, I didn't even log my food, because it was a run around, hectic kind of day. Guess I need to tighten up the ship.

Well, if I can't lose on 25 net carbs, this is going to really suck when I start climbing the ladder for OWL.
  • dittiepe
    Options

I'm almost done with my second 1.5 liter bottle of water. It's 2:17pm, and I leave the office at 4pm. I think I'm gonna wait till I get home to drink the rest he he he

Yikes i hope you don't think I was being either in my previous comment! It was a joke, I swear!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options

Yikes i hope you don't think I was being either in my previous comment! It was a joke, I swear!
    No there is some guy on another thread bashing LC lifestyles.
  • dittiepe
    Options
    oh! There's a clueless one in every bunch, isn't there? Shame that they have to troll threads to get happy.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Well, if I can't lose on 25 net carbs, this is going to really suck when I start climbing the ladder for OWL.

Keep doing what you're doing and wait for the whoosh fairy.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

Don't let him bother you. I thought I knew everything when I was 19 y/o too. The older I get, the less I know.
  • SugarBaby1987
    SugarBaby1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Don't let him bother you. I thought I knew everything when I was 19 y/o too. The older I get, the less I know.

Exactly! Don't let him bother you one bit. It's hard not to laugh at his ignorance though. :D