Use the word "calories" and everybody loses their minds

Options

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    I go to a monthly meeting where we have potluck before our meeting. I usually make a dish that I can also enjoy. My best friend who knows how I've lost weight gets her feelings hurt when I don't have some of what she brought. Last time she brought a pasta dish heavy with cream sauce. I tasted it & said it was good but didn't have any. After all this time I don't know why she doesn't understand. If I had a bite of this & bite of that i'm sure i'd gain weight. My husband is always offering me bites. Other than them, I don't talk about calories to anyone (unless they ask how I lost weight) I don't want the comments
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    smms0714 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Pretty much everyone in my department at my work is trying to lose weight. We have 3 on WW, 1 doing keto, and then there's me just counting calories and trying to walk more (to start out). The WW group constantly asks what I'm doing to lose weight as soon as I say counting calories they look horrified and tell me that's way too hard. Ummm on WW you count points so... They constantly ask how many points are in something I'm eating, and I will just tell them the calorie amount. Always, makes me laugh that they think what I do is so hard. I mean MFP does the calculations for me I just follow it.

Ya, WW was good back in the 90s but now that there are free apps like MFP, I don't see the point in paying for WW.

I don't believe I spent significantly less time with WW than I do with MFP.

I don't understand how the points work. To me it's easier to use this to just track my calories and nutrition.

1 point used to equal roughly 50 calories, although now I understand that the new program assigns punitively high points values to foods deemed 'unhealthy' to offset the unlimited 'free' foods.
  • smms0714
    smms0714 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Pretty much everyone in my department at my work is trying to lose weight. We have 3 on WW, 1 doing keto, and then there's me just counting calories and trying to walk more (to start out). The WW group constantly asks what I'm doing to lose weight as soon as I say counting calories they look horrified and tell me that's way too hard. Ummm on WW you count points so... They constantly ask how many points are in something I'm eating, and I will just tell them the calorie amount. Always, makes me laugh that they think what I do is so hard. I mean MFP does the calculations for me I just follow it.

Ya, WW was good back in the 90s but now that there are free apps like MFP, I don't see the point in paying for WW.

I don't believe I spent significantly less time with WW than I do with MFP.

I don't understand how the points work. To me it's easier to use this to just track my calories and nutrition.

1 point used to equal roughly 50 calories, although now I understand that the new program assigns punitively high points values to foods deemed 'unhealthy' to offset the unlimited 'free' foods.

Thanks! I was really confused as to how it all worked. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I often forget how far I've come in the 3 years maintaining weight since I lost 80lb.

At home and at work people have slowly got used to me not eating every single thing I'm offered due to sometimes not having enough calories left in my daily/weekly limit.

I sometimes forget how so many people freak out when you mention the word "calories" as if they think you mean starvation and debilitating OCD and spending 5 hours a day scribbling figures in a bookkeeping ledger.

Have you encountered that reaction too?

Yep.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Nope. Of course, I don't bring it up until I'm asked (e.g., "Wow, you look great! Do you mind my asking how you lost the weight?"), and even then I would keep the response short and general (e.g., "I just kept track of my calories to be sure I wasn't eating too much and started walking a little more"), not talking about weighing food and logging and using MFP unless they ask for more details.

I never once have had anybody freak out.
  • smms0714
    smms0714 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just remembered something!

I remember having the TV on in the background very early one morning and one of those entertainment news type shows was on and they were talking to celebrities about how they manage their weight. Kate Hudson said she used MFP.

We could all just say we're using some Hollywood diet tip we picked up! :p

ETA: I remember Kate saying she maintains on 1800 calories and logs and knows as long as she sticks to that, she's good.

Yes! Now the WW group at my office won't look at me like I'm crazy for saying I just watch my calories, and try to walk more.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Calories are apparently the devil, but people have no issue saying, "OMG, do you know how much fat (or carbs or sugar or sodium or whatever else they think is the key to success) is in what you're eating!?!?"