Surgery and eating

Options
So I had abdomen surgery on Friday and they cut out my Fallopian tubes. I’ve been SUPER nauseous (probably because of the pain or the fact they cut my guts out lmao) but I haven’t really ate except a few bites since thursday night. I can’t stomach food right now but when I’m standing up I’m on the verge of blacking out. I assume from not eating but I don’t wanna force something down and throw up (that could cause so much pain and cause my incisions to rip open) any advice??

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,627 Member
    Options
    maybe chicken soup or just the broth ...saltine crackers...toast ...jello
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    What (if anything) are you taking for pain? Pain medication makes some people nauseated, and is worse on an empty stomach. Start small. Broth, jello, popsicles, etc. A little at a time, and slowly to see how it sits. If you're still having trouble tomorrow, you should call your doctor.

No I’m not taking anything for pain.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    maybe chicken soup or just the broth ...saltine crackers...toast ...jello
    I would contact your Dr. If it's that painful . After my surgery, I am nauseous for a few days but I try to do smoothies or protein drinks(favorite is banana, almond milk and powdered peanut butter)

I tried the BRAT diet, and like a popsicle and I started gagging and I could feel my body wanting to throw it up which HURT tremendously so I haven’t tried again yet
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I would contact your Dr. If it's that painful . After my surgery, I am nauseous for a few days but I try to do smoothies or protein drinks(favorite is banana, almond milk and powdered peanut butter)

They told me to walk around to help with the pain but then also told me not to get up from bed for 2 days but I have kids so up and walking around is my only choice. But I feel like I might of ripped something open in there. Passing some big blood clots, not big enough where I’m concerned but I contacted the on call doctor and they just told me to take Tylenol. They said nothing else.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor tomorrow.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I contacted the on cal doctor for his office and they weren’t much help but I’ll give them another call tomorrow! Thanks!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    I contacted the on cal doctor for his office and they weren’t much help but I’ll give them another call tomorrow! Thanks!

Are you managing to keep any liquids down? If not, I would definitely emphasize that in your call tomorrow (and prepare your husband -- not stalking, just saw you mention him in the grocery shopping thread -- for the possibility of needing to get you to the hospital overnight. Seriously, three days without liquids, especially while your body is trying to heal from significant trauma, is a long time.)

I hope it gets better soon.

Yes I’m able to keep down water but I’m not able to drink a whole lot but that’s it. Not like chicken broth or juice or anything.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Are you managing to keep any liquids down? If not, I would definitely emphasize that in your call tomorrow (and prepare your husband -- not stalking, just saw you mention him in the grocery shopping thread -- for the possibility of needing to get you to the hospital overnight. Seriously, three days without liquids, especially while your body is trying to heal from significant trauma, is a long time.)

Yes I’m able to keep down water but I’m not able to drink a whole lot but that’s it. Not like chicken broth or juice or anything.

So you've gone more or less three days without food at this point correct? I would probably to make my way to the ER at this point given that you also just had surgery. Also, did your doctor(s) give you a prescription for an antiemetic by chance?
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

So you've gone more or less three days without food at this point correct? I would probably to make my way to the ER at this point given that you also just had surgery. Also, did your doctor(s) give you a prescription for an antiemetic by chance?

I’ve had some bites of food but probably only about 200 calories worth. No, he did not. No prescription for anything, did the surgery and sent me home that day.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    aes1219 wrote: »

I wouldn't be so quick to go to the ER. It really isn't an emergency and you have already talked to the doctor on call. If you start to feel worse I would give the on call doctor another call and see what they say. If they feel you need emergent care they will tell you, but so far it doesn't sound like that is the case.

It's good you are able to keep water down, and luckily you won't starve in just a couple days. I would keep taking the tylenol for pain and just eat little things as you can tolerate it. Maybe try some juice if you feel up to it.

Did they have you schedule a follow up appointment?

No he didn’t.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Part of what informed my "ER soon?" was that the OP said, "when I’m standing up I’m on the verge of blacking out." I don't think she's going to starve, but she also sounds very unwell. I mean I suspect a lot of the feeling on the verge of blacking out has to do with a lack of food but I'm not a doctor. The lack of a follow up appointment is also troubling.

Yes, not a stellar recommendation for her health care provider :(
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Part of what informed my "ER soon?" was that the OP said, "when I’m standing up I’m on the verge of blacking out." I don't think she's going to starve, but she also sounds very unwell. I mean I suspect a lot of the feeling on the verge of blacking out has to do with a lack of food but I'm not a doctor. The lack of a follow up appointment is also troubling.
    try2again wrote: »

I thought so as well. He came in after I gave birth and recommended I’d wait 2 weeks after birth for my uterus to go back to somewhat normal size so smaller incision and faster recovery but when I went in for surgery I wasn’t given any directions or follow up. They told me two different things, they filled my abdomen up with gas so I’ll have pain so move around to help the gas escape and such but then they told me not to get up from bed only for the bathroom so
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

I thought so as well. He came in after I gave birth and recommended I’d wait 2 weeks after birth for my uterus to go back to somewhat normal size so smaller incision and faster recovery but when I went in for surgery I wasn’t given any directions or follow up. They told me two different things, they filled my abdomen up with gas so I’ll have pain so move around to help the gas escape and such but then they told me not to get up from bed only for the bathroom so

Is this the same one that gave you weight loss meds?

It’s definitely time for a new doc, and moreso if it’s the same one who made that previous recommendation. The lack of care here is astounding.

Also: why aren’t you on anything for pain? If it’s because of addiction-related reasons, i understand the concern, but there are options available.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

It’s definitely time for a new doc, and moreso if it’s the same one who made that previous recommendation. The lack of care here is astounding.

Also: why aren’t you on anything for pain? If it’s because of addiction-related reasons, i understand the concern, but there are options available.

No. My primary care physician prescribed me those, this doctor is an OB doctor. The care where I’m from is *kitten* to say the least. And no I don’t have any addiction related reasons, they just didn’t prescribe me any. Right after surgery, I woke up they had me have a drink of water and pee then discharged me and sent me home. Didn’t give me any prescriptions, nada.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

No. My primary care physician prescribed me those, this doctor is an OB doctor. The care where I’m from is *kitten* to say the least. And no I don’t have any addiction related reasons, they just didn’t prescribe me any. Right after surgery, I woke up they had me have a drink of water and pee then discharged me and sent me home. Didn’t give me any prescriptions, nada.

Get something OTC to take the edge off at least while you contact them. I can't believe they didn't give you a prescription for pain medication for surgery like this. No wonder you're in so much pain.