Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    Part of what informed my "ER soon?" was that the OP said, "when I’m standing up I’m on the verge of blacking out." I don't think she's going to starve, but she also sounds very unwell. I mean I suspect a lot of the feeling on the verge of blacking out has to do with a lack of food but I'm not a doctor. The lack of a follow up appointment is also troubling.
    try2again wrote: »
    Part of what informed my "ER soon?" was that the OP said, "when I’m standing up I’m on the verge of blacking out." I don't think she's going to starve, but she also sounds very unwell. I mean I suspect a lot of the feeling on the verge of blacking out has to do with a lack of food but I'm not a doctor. The lack of a follow up appointment is also troubling.

Yes, not a stellar recommendation for her health care provider :(

I thought so as well. He came in after I gave birth and recommended I’d wait 2 weeks after birth for my uterus to go back to somewhat normal size so smaller incision and faster recovery but when I went in for surgery I wasn’t given any directions or follow up. They told me two different things, they filled my abdomen up with gas so I’ll have pain so move around to help the gas escape and such but then they told me not to get up from bed only for the bathroom so

Is this the same one that gave you weight loss meds?

It’s definitely time for a new doc, and moreso if it’s the same one who made that previous recommendation. The lack of care here is astounding.

Also: why aren’t you on anything for pain? If it’s because of addiction-related reasons, i understand the concern, but there are options available.

No. My primary care physician prescribed me those, this doctor is an OB doctor. The care where I’m from is *kitten* to say the least. And no I don’t have any addiction related reasons, they just didn’t prescribe me any. Right after surgery, I woke up they had me have a drink of water and pee then discharged me and sent me home. Didn’t give me any prescriptions, nada.

Get something OTC to take the edge off at least while you contact them. I can't believe they didn't give you a prescription for pain medication for surgery like this. No wonder you're in so much pain.

Ya, doctors have swung from over-prescribing pain meds to under-prescribing them >.<

Seriously, like, these are not the people they need to worry about. I feel bad for those with chronic pain because they probably have to deal with getting under-prescribed, but the lady had surgery, I wouldn't say that's a drug seeking behavior. At least prescribe her some Tylenol 3-4 or something. Doesn't have to be an opiate.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    you weren't given any kind of discharge form when you checked out of the hospital? i just had minor surgery last week (that didn't involve cutting my abdomen open) - and the nurse walked me through everything before they discharged me

if you didn't get anything liek that - which IMHO borders on malpractice and improper care - then yes, i would be going to the ER - 3 days, no painkillers, unable to eat and puking if you try....yeah, my butt would be at the ER

Given how recently postpartum you are, this is especially true!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

I thought so as well. He came in after I gave birth and recommended I’d wait 2 weeks after birth for my uterus to go back to somewhat normal size so smaller incision and faster recovery but when I went in for surgery I wasn’t given any directions or follow up. They told me two different things, they filled my abdomen up with gas so I’ll have pain so move around to help the gas escape and such but then they told me not to get up from bed only for the bathroom so

It’s definitely time for a new doc, and moreso if it’s the same one who made that previous recommendation. The lack of care here is astounding.

Also: why aren’t you on anything for pain? If it’s because of addiction-related reasons, i understand the concern, but there are options available.

No. My primary care physician prescribed me those, this doctor is an OB doctor. The care where I’m from is *kitten* to say the least. And no I don’t have any addiction related reasons, they just didn’t prescribe me any. Right after surgery, I woke up they had me have a drink of water and pee then discharged me and sent me home. Didn’t give me any prescriptions, nada.

Get something OTC to take the edge off at least while you contact them. I can't believe they didn't give you a prescription for pain medication for surgery like this. No wonder you're in so much pain.

Ya, doctors have swung from over-prescribing pain meds to under-prescribing them >.<

Seriously, like, these are not the people they need to worry about. I feel bad for those with chronic pain because they probably have to deal with getting under-prescribed, but the lady had surgery, I wouldn't say that's a drug seeking behavior. At least prescribe her some Tylenol 3-4 or something. Doesn't have to be an opiate.

Right, giving birth and then having tubes tied is hardly drug seeking behavior >.<

My neighbor was in excruciating pain from a bad tooth and wanted pain meds while she was waiting for her appointment for the extraction. Instead of getting a prescription, she was told to go find some pot. This is legal in my state, and absolves the practitioner of the responsibility of prescribing a pain med :astonished:
  • RelCanonical
    Options

Right, giving birth and then having tubes tied is hardly drug seeking behavior >.<

My neighbor was in excruciating pain from a bad tooth and wanted pain meds while she was waiting for her appointment for the extraction. Instead of getting a prescription, she was told to go find some pot. This is legal in my state, and absolves the practitioner of the responsibility of prescribing a pain med :astonished:

Well, I guess if it works. I get annoyed because there are less addictive options for pain management that can be prescribed (like strong Tylenol), but opiates have been pushed so much that it seems like the default go-to. Heck, I got Vicodin when I had my wisdom teeth out at 14 and I don't think I even needed anything more than Tylenol. My completely uneducated opinion is they should start small and work up if needed, but opiates were so pushed by prescription drug companies that no one did that, and now everyone's used to the "no pain whatsoever" but highly addictive nature of opiates.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Pondering.... has pain relief not been offered because they expect you to be breastfeeding? (as a non-Mom with no knowledge on the subject I'm just guessing out there). I have had abdominal surgery - not as extensive as yours. Even with opiates the pain from the wind in my shoulders and upper body was nasty (yes they inflated me too)
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    o my, that does not sound normal at all. When my mom had it yanked out, she got pain meds AND nausea meds. At this point you are probably also dehydrated. Do you have an urgent care? Where you can get fluids at least?
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I would have thought the docs give you something intravenously until you're well enough to eat properly? Maybe I'm missing something here.
  • kzshelbi
    kzshelbi Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I wonder if they are able to maybe give you a shot or some pills to help with at least the nausea so you can get something in your stomach
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    I would have thought the docs give you something intravenously until you're well enough to eat properly? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Sounds like she already got sent home, so she wouldn't be on anything intravenously. I think she can't eat because of the pain, but can't be for sure - she has to get it checked out. No pain meds after surgery like that isn't cool.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    @rickiimarieee how are you feeling today?
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I love when people turn to a internet message forum for medical advise. :|
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I’ve been taking Tylenol but called them today and they told me to take Tylenol or Advil lol.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

Thank you, I called them today and they told me to take Tylenol or Advil. Lol so not much help. He’s the hospitals on call OB so if i went to the ER, I would get him and he’d tell me the same thing he told me over the phone lol.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    you weren't given any kind of discharge form when you checked out of the hospital? i just had minor surgery last week (that didn't involve cutting my abdomen open) - and the nurse walked me through everything before they discharged me

if you didn't get anything liek that - which IMHO borders on malpractice and improper care - then yes, i would be going to the ER - 3 days, no painkillers, unable to eat and puking if you try....yeah, my butt would be at the ER

They gave me just a paper saying what surgery I had done and the current medications I’m on. No instructions or anything. I told the nurse I was having extreme pain in my ribs (it was from the gas I guess I don’t know) and she told me to walk around and it’ll help the pain but then the nurse that took me to the doors told me I’m suppose to stay in bed for 3 days only to get up for bathroom breaks so had two completely different answers lmao
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Pondering.... has pain relief not been offered because they expect you to be breastfeeding? (as a non-Mom with no knowledge on the subject I'm just guessing out there). I have had abdominal surgery - not as extensive as yours. Even with opiates the pain from the wind in my shoulders and upper body was nasty (yes they inflated me too)

No I’m not breastfeeding, I told them I stopped breastfeeding so I don’t know if that’s why. And yeah my ribs were so painful then it moved to my shoulders.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

No before surgery I had IV fluids but when I woke up in the recovery room my IV was already yanked out.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options

Sounds like she already got sent home, so she wouldn't be on anything intravenously. I think she can't eat because of the pain, but can't be for sure - she has to get it checked out. No pain meds after surgery like that isn't cool.
    Yeah the pain makes me nauseous!
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    @rickiimarieee how are you feeling today?

Still very nauseous lol. My son was pushing on my stomach all night while I held him (he’s colicky so that’s the only way he won’t cry as much) so got that going on lmao.