30 day keto-esque diet, year 2

Options
Hi MFP crew,

Today (4/1) I am excited to begin a 30-day keto-style diet. I did this last year and lost 8lbs. This year I am hoping to repeat the results. I slowly gained the weight back and am up to 187-188.

Basically my goal is to stay between 30-40 net carbs per day. I accomplish this by eating breakfast, lunch, a snack, and dinner. Last year the only time I cheated was with a slice of birthday cake, one (yes, one) French fry, one onion ring, and 1/4 of a slice of cauliflower crust pizza. As for alcohol, I only drank wine three or four times during the month.

The biggest learning for me was about portion control and snacking. Snacks were really important since you’re hungry from smaller portions. Carrots and celery sticks, peanuts, and beef jerky were among my favorite go-to snacks.

The pushback from MFP community that I got when I posted my results were basically about the keto diet and how basically since I cut calories of course I would lose weight. My original thinking was just eliminate sugar. This month I am really looking at portion control as well, so I may have other foods that I in the past didn’t include but just have minuscule amounts.

Along with this I am also committing to closing the rings on my Apple Watch every day and going to the gym twice a week.

I will keep you updated. Would love to hear any interesting recipes or tips. I’m especially interested in coconut and almond flour recipes.

Replies

• Longshore
    Longshore Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    great groups here to follow
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    You gained the lost weight back, and you're doing it again? Weight loss doesn't mean anything if you can't keep it off, that's just yo-yo dieting.

Not quite sure why you'd do something again that failed to be successful the first time you did it?

Have you ever looked in the Introduce Yourself and Getting Started forums? There are lots of people who lost weight by weighing and measuring food, and counting calories, with MFP who regained the weight. There a lot of veteran community members who preach weighing and measuring, and counting calories, with MFP who have also lost and regained weight.

Maybe is has less to do with the method and more to do with someone's ability to maintain the habits and continue utilizing the tools. The tool doesn't become less effective just because someone has chosen to stop using it.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    As some others have mentioned, going to a low carb diet causes a loss of water weight. So you will likely see movement on the scale, but if you are only going to do it for 30 days, much of it is likely to come back after you reintroduce carbs into your diet.

This will have a short term effect, but long term, its not really going to do anything for you. I would focus on picking a way of eating that will allow you to lose weight and sustain the loss. For some people, that's Keto. For others, it's not. But choosing a way of eating for 30 days and then giving it up is not really conducive to long term success.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Why only 30 days? Forever or never, I say.
    NovusDies wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    You gained the lost weight back, and you're doing it again? Weight loss doesn't mean anything if you can't keep it off, that's just yo-yo dieting.

Not quite sure why you'd do something again that failed to be successful the first time you did it?

Have you ever looked in the Introduce Yourself and Getting Started forums? There are lots of people who lost weight by weighing and measuring food, and counting calories, with MFP who regained the weight. There a lot of veteran community members who preach weighing and measuring, and counting calories, with MFP who have also lost and regained weight.

Maybe is has less to do with the method and more to do with someone's ability to maintain the habits and continue utilizing the tools. The tool doesn't become less effective just because someone has chosen to stop using it.

The OP intends to do a 30 day only program with the intent of losing 8 pounds. How is that ever going to be an effective tool? If the OP only has 8 pounds of fat to lose and is actually going to try and lose it that fast this would likely have to be a VLCD and a violation of the rules here.

I went back and read the OP...no where did I get an indication that he was going on a VLCD. Maybe I am not reading him correctly but I don't see how he is violating the rules.

I sometimes go low carb for a few weeks(probably around 100g). I don't do it to lose weight however I do it to get my carb consumption under control. It forces me to find alternatives to rice and pasta along with bread and potatoes instead of eating them at every meal which I have a tendency to do. I love carbs. Actually today I am fixing a curry and instead of rice I will be serving it with roasted cauliflower. I will also cut bread out for a while.

I don't know why the OP would go low carb to lose 8lbs but he is an adult and can do as he chooses.

• Nokt2018
    Nokt2018 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    jamster101
    Today (4/1)

I say eat all the cake that you want!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Nokt2018 wrote: »
    jamster101
    Today (4/1)

His profile says he joined July 25, 2011

When I joined I didn't use the message boards for a long time. I am sure that there are many people here that don't use them.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Why only 30 days? Forever or never, I say.
    NovusDies wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »

The OP intends to do a 30 day only program with the intent of losing 8 pounds. How is that ever going to be an effective tool? If the OP only has 8 pounds of fat to lose and is actually going to try and lose it that fast this would likely have to be a VLCD and a violation of the rules here.

I went back and read the OP...no where did I get an indication that he was going on a VLCD. Maybe I am not reading him correctly but I don't see how he is violating the rules.

I sometimes go low carb for a few weeks(probably around 100g). I don't do it to lose weight however I do it to get my carb consumption under control. It forces me to find alternatives to rice and pasta along with bread and potatoes instead of eating them at every meal which I have a tendency to do. I love carbs. Actually today I am fixing a curry and instead of rice I will be serving it with roasted cauliflower. I will also cut bread out for a while.

I don't know why the OP would go low carb to lose 8lbs but he is an adult and can do as he chooses.

I said it might require it. If a person is close to goal weight creating a 1000 calorie per day deficit to hit 2 pounds a week would likely put them in a vlc situation.

Most likely though the OP just thinks that a keto-esque diet will do it because the scale will likely report an increased weight loss thanks to a water drop. The only harm will be in expectations especially if there is more weight to lose next year and more radical means are used to repeat the results. In other words if next time around the OP has 16 pounds to lose in 2 months and keto fails to deliver where will the OP turn for results... a fasting diet of some kind?

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Nokt2018 wrote: »
    jamster101
    Today (4/1)

His profile says he joined July 25, 2011

When I joined I didn't use the message boards for a long time. I am sure that there are many people here that don't use them.

Same here, I've been using MFP on and off for years, I just disregard the forums until this past year.