DASH Diet thread

Options

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I am currently on week 8 of c25k and am definitely feeling stronger and more fit. But I’ve used the calorie burn as an excuse to eat more than I should. So although I haven’t gained, I haven’t made progress losing. I think my renewed focus will help.

Are you following a structured running plan?
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I am currently on week 8 of c25k and am definitely feeling stronger and more fit. But I’ve used the calorie burn as an excuse to eat more than I should. So although I haven’t gained, I haven’t made progress losing. I think my renewed focus will help.

Are you following a structured running plan?

I'm not, I'm using MapMyRun and have a route that's 1.43 miles right now. First time it took me 20.14 minutes (a mix of walking/running), and my latest one on Saturday was 18.37 minutes, so I'm already seeing some progress after 4 times :)
  • zeejane03
    Options
    Vegetables & Fruit--8
    Dairy -- 2.5
    Grains --5
    Meat -- 3oz ; Beans (alternative protein)--1 serving
    Added fat -- 1 (olives)
    Nuts and seeds --x
    Added sugar -- sweet n' sour sauce, 1/2 serving Nilla cookies and a serving of cheesecake flavored pudding (dry mixture)
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    How did you use the cheesecake pudding mix? I like to mix it with Greek yogurt to make mini cheesecakes but use the sugar free mix
  • zeejane03
    edited April 2019
    Options
    How did you use the cheesecake pudding mix? I like to mix it with Greek yogurt to make mini cheesecakes but use the sugar free mix

I mixed it dry into plain Greek yogurt, along with a mashed banana and then the Nilla cookies-great afternoon snack and I was able to check off a fruit and a dairy :# It was the sugar free kind of jello mix.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit -4
    Veggie -3
    Whole grain -1
    Dairy -1.5
    Meat -5oz
    Nuts/beans - 0.5
    Added sugar: yes

Not a bad day for my first day back focused on tracking my DASH servings. I can still improve but feel good about my choices. I struggled with wanting chips from the vending machine at work but knew that it would send me down the wrong path. Glad I was able to keep away from it.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit -4
    Veggie -5
    Whole grain -1
    Dairy -1.5
    Meat -6oz
    Nuts/beans - 0.5
    Added sugar: yes... the most amazing Lemon Drop cookie at Panera
  • zeejane03
    Options
    Yesterday I didn't track due to a busy day out, but I'm planning on having a solid DASH day today :)
  • zeejane03
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Found something new at the grocery store this morning and I'm in love....not sure how to categorize it though!
    PopCroners Flex protein crisps (bbq flavor, so good!). 1 serving has 90 calories, 2.5g fat, 12g carbs and then 10g protein (!), with 4g fiber. It's first ingredient is soy protein. I think I need to add an 'Other' category to DASH lol.
    https://www.popcorners.com/flex-protein-crisps/barbecue
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    DASH has been going well this week. Last night I had homemade creamy potato soup for a serving of dairy and potassium rich vegetable combo. It’s nice on DASH to know that carbs are not forbidden. I’m in the last 10 lbs to reach the top of my BMI range and am feeling comfortable with the slow loss. I’m sticking with the 1600 calorie model for my DASH servings and am being purposeful about exercise.
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure has been high lately and it concerns me because it's always been really good. I was going to look into DASH.

I think I could do DASH, but I don't think I can ever get the fruits in. I don't like fruit. None of it. :-(
  • emmamcgarity
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I was on vacation last week and had several meals out at restaurants. I also was not able to get as much activity as I usually do. As expected the scale is up 4 lbs which is likely mostly water weight.

Today I am back on DASH starting my day with oatmeal, milk and banana. It feels good to be back to the familiar. Vacation was definitely fun but not a sustainable way of eating for me long term.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit -4
    Veggie -3
    Whole grain -1
    Dairy -2
    Meat -4oz
    Nuts/beans - 1.5
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I was on vacation last week and had several meals out at restaurants. I also was not able to get as much activity as I usually do. As expected the scale is up 4 lbs which is likely mostly water weight.

Today I am back on DASH starting my day with oatmeal, milk and banana. It feels good to be back to the familiar. Vacation was definitely fun but not a sustainable way of eating for me long term.

lol you sound like me. I really like my routine. It is comfortable and it is normal for me. I like diet breaks, holidays, vacations, etc. but it never takes me long anymore before I am ready to get back to normal.

• Melissa062667
    Melissa062667 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    New here. I started with a diet 1500 calories that the dr gave to my brother when he found out he was diabetic. I was on it about a week and thought it was too much carbs. I found this app. Started logging all foods in the app and the diet was all out of whack. Too much carbs, fat ect. Ive been reading about the dash diet. Thinking on trying it.

I’ve already cut soda out, did that long ago. I cut sugar from my coffee, and not eating sweets. I’ve only lost 1 pound in almost 3 weeks and a little discouraged. Especially since my brother lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks. No specific diet.

I exercise atleast 5 days a week. I have a treadmill, recumbent bike, all in 1 gym and dumbbells. My brother does non of this. I get in between 800 to 1500 steps in a day. Trying to increase to 20,000
  • NovusDies
    Options
    New here. I started with a diet 1500 calories that the dr gave to my brother when he found out he was diabetic. I was on it about a week and thought it was too much carbs. I found this app. Started logging all foods in the app and the diet was all out of whack. Too much carbs, fat ect. Ive been reading about the dash diet. Thinking on trying it.

I’ve already cut soda out, did that long ago. I cut sugar from my coffee, and not eating sweets. I’ve only lost 1 pound in almost 3 weeks and a little discouraged. Especially since my brother lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks. No specific diet.

I exercise atleast 5 days a week. I have a treadmill, recumbent bike, all in 1 gym and dumbbells. My brother does non of this. I get in between 800 to 1500 steps in a day. Trying to increase to 20,000

Your brother lost water weight. I would ignore it.

Your diet is not "out of whack" if you are staying in a calorie deficit. There is no reason to worry about fat or carbs when it comes to weight loss.

The DASH diet should not really be something you jump into if you are new. You want to make very small changes over time and try to stay within what is normal for you. Change only what you absolutely have to change to stay satisfied and stay in a calorie deficit.

I suggest reading this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Focus on getting the basics correct like logging. Get enough protein. Ignore fat and carbs unless you are having hunger issues.
  • Melissa062667
    Melissa062667 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My dr. Said for me to cut back on carbs. My last bloodwork showed my cholesterol and sugar is slightly high and I have high blood pressure and over weight. I really need to change my diet. I’ve tried changing my diet many times previously and not stick to them. I’ve been using MFP’s calorie, carbs ect recommendations.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    DASH was recommended by her doctor for blood pressure and she had good results after one month for both blood pressure and cholesterol. Weight loss is all about calories, but I find the DASH way of eating easier to stick to my calorie target. You are welcome to join us tracking DASH. The n=1 podcast was really informative for me. I listened to it several times.

As to blood sugar, did your doctor give you any guidelines to follow? Vainest of the foods that are very DASH friendly may be higher in carbs (fruit, potatoes, etc). You’d want guidance from that from someone knowledgeable about your medical situation.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    My dr. Said for me to cut back on carbs. My last bloodwork showed my cholesterol and sugar is slightly high and I have high blood pressure and over weight. I really need to change my diet. I’ve tried changing my diet many times previously and not stick to them. I’ve been using MFP’s calorie, carbs ect recommendations.

That is different. If your fasted blood glucose is high you do need to limit carbs. What is your MFP limit right now? Generally speaking limited carbs is still pretty generous at 150 net carbs a day (total carbs minus fiber).

DASH may still be too radical of a change. You have to be able to stick with whatever you change which is why my advice stays the same that you need to change as little as possible. All of your health markers should improve with weight loss all by itself.

If you are unsure of what I am saying re-read your own post. You have tried changing your diets many times and you didn't stick to it. So what you need to change is add some carb control and staying within your calorie deficit and that is all to start. Do not cut out other food you enjoy eating just learn how to make it all fit in your calorie allowance. Keep it as simple as possible.

• emmamcgarity
    Options
    Fruit -4
    Veggie -4
    Whole grain -1
    Dairy -1.5
    Meat -4oz
    Nuts/beans - 0.5