caco_ethes wrote: »
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    I thought no one noticed that

We’re detail focused people.
    You’ve been warned.

Are you filing extensions this time of year too? 😮

No.
    For some reason there’s folks out there who think I’m an accountant. I’m not.
    But I do know the accounting world.

I only thought you were an accountant because you were MIA for a couple of days and, well, it's tax season....no other reason to not be on mfp, right, must be an accountant!

...pssst...dont be creeped out because I notice when people aren't around...I make up reasons for them.
    So and so is on vacation, so and so is dealing with their neighbour's sick dog, y'know

*edit
    Just noticed you said "folks", so my southern states guess was right!

You folks don’t say folks? I say folks and I’m more canadian than southern

Nope never
    It's a weird word to me, like I think it means "people" in general or it's referring to your parents. Not commonly used here (by people I know anyhow). I'd say "you people" or "my parents" (but I never say that because they are not a unit, lol, for me it's mom, dad or step-dad or stepmonster)

Got me curious, heard a local say "trash" the other day (referring to garbage). Thought he must be American.
    I obviously get it, what they are talking about and know Americans use the word for garbage, but got me thinking...I use it for commenting on appearance "trashy" looking or just a negative like "trash talk".

What do you say there Cakey? For some reason I think we have regional similarities.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Reckoner67 wrote: »
    I say "y'all" and I've spent almost my entire life in beautiful Michigan. Tho my dad was from Georgia so I'm sure I picked it up from him

I love hearing people say y'all, but feel it's some how wrong if you don't speak it with a soft inflection...I feel condescending if I try to say it. And I don't want to be. Don't think my sharp (is that what northern or Canadian accents are? To me that's the first description I can think of) would sound "right" saying certain words or phrases, it's just laughable. Or possibly insulting.

I love regional dialects. Have heard some amazing ones on mfp. Super cool advantage of a global community!

Thats cool. About your dad's influence. I like how regional phrases can get carried around by your influences. You probably say it right!
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Oh, and speaking of regional influences! My fav ever!!
    "bunny hugger" anyone know wtf that is?
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

I only thought you were an accountant because you were MIA for a couple of days and, well, it's tax season....no other reason to not be on mfp, right, must be an accountant!

...pssst...dont be creeped out because I notice when people aren't around...I make up reasons for them.
    So and so is on vacation, so and so is dealing with their neighbour's sick dog, y'know

*edit

Nope never
    It's a weird word to me, like I think it means "people" in general or it's referring to your parents. Not commonly used here (by people I know anyhow). I'd say "you people" or "my parents" (but I never say that because they are not a unit, lol, for me it's mom, dad or step-dad or stepmonster)

Got me curious, heard a local say "trash" the other day (referring to garbage). Thought he must be American.
    I obviously get it, what they are talking about and know Americans use the word for garbage, but got me thinking...I use it for commenting on appearance "trashy" looking or just a negative like "trash talk".

What do you say there Cakey? For some reason I think we have regional similarities.

I will say take out the trash or trash can but I didn’t grow up hearing it that way. ‘Garbage’ is just such a harsh unpleasant word rolling off the tongue 😅
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    you're not really "southern" imo until you say "ya'll'd've"

Please translate for your (feeling naive) and super literal northern friend!
    ...I feel left out man!
    And please, please voice record this...just the one "word?"

Oh wait...does it mean "you all would have?"
    I'm excellent at mashing words all together
    Like "I'm from Trono"
    ...did I get it!! Gimme a prize!!
  • caco_ethes
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

I've also noticed you saying y'all before.

I pick up lingo from lots of places, as I have family all over.

Same. I picked up y’all from southern friends and family, and maybe partly because the regional norm of ‘you guys’ feels so GoodFellas
  • NotSo_LittleRichard
    NotSo_LittleRichard Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

Same. I picked up y’all from southern friends and family, and maybe partly because the regional norm of ‘you guys’ feels so GoodFellas

I'm pretty sure is youse guys
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    you're not really "southern" imo until you say "ya'll'd've"

Please translate for your (feeling naive) and super literal northern friend!
    ...I feel left out man!
    And please, please voice record this...just the one "word?"

Oh wait...does it mean "you all would have?"
    I'm excellent at mashing words all together
    Like "I'm from Trono"
    ...did I get it!! Gimme a prize!!

Hold up. People who don’t pronounce it ‘Trono’ are just.. all wrong 😅
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

I'm good with "you guys" (I'll throw that around a lot) but I go with y'all when I'm in a hurry. Which is often, because *apparently* midwesterners like to speak fast and slur words together.

I can't go with "you's" tho, I had a few friends who used that when I was growing up and it always sounded...off.
  • caco_ethes
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

CLOSE ENOUGH RICHARD
  • NotSo_LittleRichard
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

CLOSE ENOUGH RICHARD

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    Reckoner67 wrote: »

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

I'm good with "you guys" (I'll throw that around a lot) but I go with y'all when I'm in a hurry. Which is often, because *apparently* midwesterners like to speak fast and slur words together.

I can't go with "you's" tho, I had a few friends who used that when I was growing up and it always sounded...off.

Used to live in a town where "you's guys" was a common phrase...drove my mom (who worked as a proofreader) batshiit
  • Vikka_V
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

Nope never

I will say take out the trash or trash can but I didn’t grow up hearing it that way. ‘Garbage’ is just such a harsh unpleasant word rolling off the tongue 😅

Ya, but... Garbage is garbage...nothing pleasant about it.

"Trash" -
    "you look trashy" (could be a compliment?!)
    "I got trashed" (maybe had fun?!)
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

Nope never

"Trash" -

This is never a compliment.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

Nope never

"Trash" -

well...in some scenarios i suppose, a person, like a guy for example, maybe he likes the "trashy" look a lil bit and so it *could* be a compliment im just saying who are we to judge anybody else yknow i thought this was america
  • RomaineCalm
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

Nope never

"Trash" -

well...in some scenarios i suppose, a person, like a guy for example, maybe he likes the "trashy" look a lil bit and so it *could* be a compliment im just saying who are we to judge anybody else yknow i thought this was america

Ok let me rephrase. I would never take "you look trashy" as a compliment. Because that isn't the look I go for.

BUT TO EACH THEIR OWN THOUGH, OK.
  • NotSo_LittleRichard
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

Nope never

"Trash" -

Ok let me rephrase. I would never take "you look trashy" as a compliment. Because that isn't the look I go for.

What if you were to dress up a Oscar the Grouch for Halloween and someone said you look really trashy. How about then?
  • Vikka_V
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

Nope never

"Trash" -

But if that's what your going for...

Lolol, maybe that's a bit of a regional difference!
    The phrase "trash" makes laugh, if you said I looked like "garbage" I'd be offended!
  • RomaineCalm
    Options

You’ve been warned.

No.

*edit

Nope never

"Trash" -

What if you were to dress up a Oscar the Grouch for Halloween and someone said you look really trashy. How about then?

No then I'd want people to say, "OMG you look like hot garbage."