Less Alcohol - April 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Wishing you a wonderful birthday @marcvb35!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Week 2 so far still in the game, the countdown begins:

April 8- 9 oz pinot grigio
    April 9- 8 oz dry rose (measured and poured the rest down the drain)

Back to insomnia stage and dealing with it - payback for messing up last week.....:)
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    April accountability ~9 days so far
    No Alcohol: 5 days
    Alcohol: 4 days (9 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month

You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell
    What a big change in my life … 2016-2018 I could not count my AF days … it was 2-5 glasses per night or other drink usually 6-7 nights per week. Loving the change I’ve made in 2019 and it is helping the numbers on the scale go down.

Challenging week ahead. Less than stellar start for the month. Ended up 1 day short of my goal for the week.
    Apr 1 - AF
    Apr 2 - AF
    Apr 3 - 2 glasses of wine. Dinner at home with DH instead of going to new bar with Sisters Who Sip.
    Apr 4 - 1 glass of wine w/ DH and 2 at Bunco. Slipped on that daily goal! Bunco: Plan 1 glass wine I’ve got to learn to stop at 1 at social events when there are multiple open bottles!
    Apr 5 - 3 glasses of wine (did not start with the beer before hand with DH which is a win) @ camp ... drank a bottle of water before bed then out fishing in boat early this morning.
    Apr 6 - 1 beer at 4pm fishing off the dock @ camp. WIN did not open the bottle of wine for dinner.
    Apr 7 - AF
    Apr 8 - AF
    Apr 9 - AF - Alumnae meeting theme “Learn the Art of Cocktails” with plenty of wine too: Plan just skip this month! Way to tempting and easy to go beyond my limits as well as the drive is 20 miles each way.
    Apr 10 - Plan AF
    Apr 11 - Plan AF
    Apr 12 - Spring Spectacular: shopping & mimosa: Plan limit 1 drink
    Apr 13 -
    Apr 14 -
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @Balbie123 You're doing what is best for you! I am still searching for that myself. We will find it. Our health and a better future requires it.
    @marcvb35 glad you had a good birthday!!
  • beebva4
    beebva4 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Really pleased to have found this! After some regrettable blackout incidents a few years back i cut back, but i have over the years found myself shifting from "party hard" type drinking to "its been a long day - and its monday" so im now looking to try and take back control. Mostly because i have noticed the day after even just a few (last time it was 2 ciders) i felt awful, my anxiety was through the rood and all i wanted to do was stay in bed and cry. It wasnt a hangover, but it completely magnified my current mental health issues and it was just horiffic. I'm going away for a long weekend Fri-Mon and i know there will be a bit of drinking, but im hoping to keep it to 1 max 2 with dinner and thats all.

Drinking seems to trigger my anxiety too! Its ironic I find myzelf feeling like I want to have something to drink to calm my nerves and avoid anxiety but then I'm left feeling anxious the next morning, like you said even if it's just a little drink. It helps to know I'm not the only one who feels that way. I've pinpointed that to be my root cause to drinking and I'm hoping to stick to just enjoyable weekend drinks IF I want them and not just because it's the weekend. But I'm sure you will do good on your long weekend! Get some mocktails, trick your mind a little, helps me!
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options

Man it's great to be back on this thread...…..bad week last week, weekend was waisted away from a Friday night wine party. I KNEW that was a bad idea. Then!! When I was throwing up Sunday night......guess what came up first.... the 4 beers I had......yep...…...not feeling like drinking again yet. Man I hope that feeling holds because I am SO TIRED of this feeling and being unhappy with myself.

My thoughts now are...…….I can't even do 3 beers a night during the work week. 0. Maybe even 0 all together!! That's what I think I want...…..but then I think...…..girls day out on May 4th...a couple of glasses at lunch won't hurt. Oh what sickness this alcohol has over me. I must conqueror!!!

Have a great day you all!!

Teri

Teri, you have cut back quite a bit!
    Maybe you will now try at least one workday having 0 and see how that goes.
    So hard on the workdays, that is when I really feel like having drinks because it is stressful and I want to relax - but I have been pretty good at just not having them even if I want them. I must say, that I am always glad the next morning that I didn't.

• MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,557 Member
    Options
    the day I am programmed to "REWARD" myself for being good all week. I do this with food too. When I blow it on FRIDAY, I say well I may as well continue and start fresh Monday. This logically makes no sense!!!! I've just erased all that effort and progress..... It's ME that is holding me back from my own progress!

I would do this to myself over and over and over for months. The REWARD. Truth is.....it is not a reward if it returns to be more than you wanted to consume, it is sabotage for all your hard earned work. It may take time to reset your drinking less brains way of thinking. I do love how you have cut back an ounce a day, that is note worthy.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,557 Member
    Options
    Also i dont know if anyone has come across if ( i havent read through all 8 pages of posts yet) but i have found a website called Hello Sunday Morning very helpful :)

@kathryn1391 welcome to our group and thanks for the heads up on this Hello Sunday Morning. Already have it as a go to on my social media.
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    CG3559 wrote: »
    2nd week of April goal 5 AF days
    Monday - AF (decided I’d drink on Thursday and Friday)
    Tuesday - AF (was closed to modifying goal/plan to Tuesday and Thursday and Friday) but went for a run instead - win!)
    Today/Wednesday- Tonight is going to be tough because the NHL playoffs start tonight (but my team doesn’t play until tomorrow). Plan is to make a soda stream and not put gin in it.

I’m learning that when I use my will power at night and don’t drink (or at least not so much) my morning self is so appreciative!

@BuffMom84 I love the idea of journaling my memories with alcohol and reminding myself what an idiot I’ve made of myself - maybe curb repeat performances.

Exactly!!! Don't we feel like super heros the day after a non "over-drinking" day!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    Sorry guys think I might be giving into having a drink this evening. My brother is stressing me out to the hilt. Just found out that he's been literally taking the micky out of me for months on end. Long story but I'm not happy about it and very stressed.

Y'know what? I have done well with my drinking and tonight I'm definetly having a wee drink. And a puff of my ecig. I guess I'm still hard wired to drink when I'm hit with a lot of stress.

It's ok big sis.....keep it together though, you've been doing great! That's our challenge....to find a new normal...especially when it gets tough
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options
    Really pleased to have found this! After some regrettable blackout incidents a few years back i cut back, but i have over the years found myself shifting from "party hard" type drinking to "its been a long day - and its monday" so im now looking to try and take back control. Mostly because i have noticed the day after even just a few (last time it was 2 ciders) i felt awful, my anxiety was through the rood and all i wanted to do was stay in bed and cry. It wasnt a hangover, but it completely magnified my current mental health issues and it was just horiffic. I'm going away for a long weekend Fri-Mon and i know there will be a bit of drinking, but im hoping to keep it to 1 max 2 with dinner and thats all.

Glad you found us too.... been a GREAT support for me
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    Options

Man it's great to be back on this thread...…..bad week last week, weekend was waisted away from a Friday night wine party. I KNEW that was a bad idea. Then!! When I was throwing up Sunday night......guess what came up first.... the 4 beers I had......yep...…...not feeling like drinking again yet. Man I hope that feeling holds because I am SO TIRED of this feeling and being unhappy with myself.

My thoughts now are...…….I can't even do 3 beers a night during the work week. 0. Maybe even 0 all together!! That's what I think I want...…..but then I think...…..girls day out on May 4th...a couple of glasses at lunch won't hurt. Oh what sickness this alcohol has over me. I must conqueror!!!

Have a great day you all!!

Teri

Teri, you have cut back quite a bit!
    Maybe you will now try at least one workday having 0 and see how that goes.
    So hard on the workdays, that is when I really feel like having drinks because it is stressful and I want to relax - but I have been pretty good at just not having them even if I want them. I must say, that I am always glad the next morning that I didn't.

Thanks!!!!!! Good idea.....just 1 day....1 day.... shouldn't be too hard right? ;)