Less Alcohol - April 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hi All, first time posting this month I think, although I have been reading along and cheering everyone from afar!

I ended March with a family vacation and began April with a crazy international work trip followed by a death in the family which meant another quick trip which included some drinks to drown some sorrows, so that was essentially 2 straight weeks of daily drinking - some days a couple, some days more than that. One night during the work conference I definitely overdid it, but otherwise kept mostly to my mindful moderation plan. I've figured out that the work trips is definitely what does me in with regards to racking up AF days in a month, and since I'm traveling more than I used to that's problematic. The good news is that I find sticking to an AF plan during the week when I'm home is pretty effortless now, I really don't even have to think about it anymore. Weekends too, I can have a couple of drinks at dinner (home or restaurant) and don't feel compelled to really over do it. The nicer weather is a challenge for me like it is for many of you though - I definitely feel the call of a rose or a cold beer in the sunshine.

So my April tally so far:
    5/15 days AF

No more trips planned so aside from book club and one mid-week happy hour/retirement party I should be able to bring the AF total up. Hoping to finish with half the month AF. Thinking positively though, I already have more AF days this year by mid-April than I probably did all of 2017 before finding this group. I'm also refocusing on my weight management, seeing the scale creep up over the last 6-8 months since last Fall due to busy schedule, lower activity, and a general malaise about monitoring my intake. So I'm back to trying to eat at a deficit and get my activity level up again - not having the alcohol calories will help with that too!
  • AbandondedKSCharger
    AbandondedKSCharger Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    @WinoGelato I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I am going to continue with my goal of 4AF days per week.
    Weight loss is my main motivator.

April 1 - AF
    April 2 - AF
    April 3 - AF
    April 4 - 3 drinks
    April 5 - AF - super glad to have this forum to check in to for accountability, it really does stop me some days when I have had crazy days at work and really feel like having drinks.
    April 06 - 3 drinks, and up 1.6 pounds in one day from it. All the more reason for AF days : - )
    April 07 - AF - planning AF for the next 3 days at least
    April 08 - AF
    April 09 - AF
    April 10 - AF
    April 11 - AF - planned night out for the 12th, jam session at a bar. I have sang without drinking before, but prefer to loosen up with a couple first...we'll see. I love being less bloated, especially in the face.
    April 12 - 4 drinks - Didn't even go out to the jam in the neighbouring town. I had such a long busy workday and 9pm just seemed too late for me to start to gussie up and drive there. I probably wouldn't have had any drinks had I gone, because I was driving. I was just too tired lol. It actually was nice to relax, have a few drinks, watch hockey.
    April 13 - AF
    April 14 - 3 drinks - Sunday - going to make at least the next 3 days AF
    April 15 - AF

Running total: 11AF days out of 15 days so far
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    April accountability ~17 days so far
    No Alcohol: 7 days
    Alcohol: 10 days (23 drinks)
    Goal: AF days 4 per week / 16 per month

You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine. - John C. Maxwell
    What a big change in my life … 2016-2018 I could not count my AF days … it was 2-5 glasses per night or other drink usually 6-7 nights per week. Loving the change I’ve made in 2019 and it is helping the numbers on the scale go down.

Challenging week ahead. Less than stellar start for the month. Ended up 1 day short of my goal for the week.
    Apr 1 - AF
    Apr 2 - AF
    Apr 3 - 2 glasses of wine. Dinner at home with DH instead of going to new bar with Sisters Who Sip.
    Apr 4 - 1 glass of wine w/ DH and 2 at Bunco. Slipped on that daily goal! Bunco: Plan 1 glass wine I’ve got to learn to stop at 1 at social events when there are multiple open bottles!
    Apr 5 - 3 glasses of wine (did not start with the beer before hand with DH which is a win) @ camp ... drank a bottle of water before bed then out fishing in boat early this morning.
    Apr 6 - 1 beer at 4pm fishing off the dock @ camp. WIN did not open the bottle of wine for dinner.
    Apr 7 - AF

Second week with only 3 nights AF … not getting to my weekly goal which will make the monthly goal difficult to achieve as well!
    Apr 8 - AF
    Apr 9 - AF - Alumnae meeting theme “Learn the Art of Cocktails” with plenty of wine too: Plan just skip this month! Way to tempting and easy to go beyond my limits as well as the drive is 20 miles each way.
    Apr 10 - 2 glasses of wine; dinner with my sister; she pulled out the bottle
    Apr 11 - 2 glasses of wine; dinner with DH; he brought one home oh well
    Apr 12 - AF - I had planned to drink but decided I needed to make up for the last 2 days of unexpected wine. Day out with my daughter and daughter-in-law. Spring Spectacular: shopping & mimosas: Plan limit 1 drink, daughter ordered wine with her lunch … and I declined. So flew through the day AF after all.
    Apr 13 - 2 glasses of wine @ camp
    Apr 14 - 1 beer + 3 glasses of wine @ camp (1 glass from 3 different bottles that were opened that evening)

Again not a great start to my week … I need to figure out how to reign it in … but if I don’t drink 2 glasses then DH opens the bottle and polishes it off on his own. Trying to balance my goals when he has thrown in the towel.
    Apr 15 - 2 glasses of wine - Bookclub: Skipping @ fishing camp
    Apr 16 - 2 glasses of wine @ camp
    Apr 17 - AF - DH had a bottle at home which he opened before I left but I did not take the glass offered. Bookclub told them I was detoxing from all the wine I drank at the fishing camp.

My count is up 10 drinks in 5 days since I last checked in ... last night I held strong but it was hard with all the peer pressure (yes I'm over 50 and should have that part of my life under control BUT...).
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    Went out to dinner last night and the night before. Stuck to my plan of only one each night, but I notice it on the scale- my weight is not budging! It’s way more satisfying to go AF for a few nights and see that number drop!

Got a nice compliment on my skin last night from a friend on my team. After thanking him, told him it’s probably because I had cut way back on drinking. He looked at me like I was crazy!

I am very cognizant of the fact that lots of people are not where we are in terms of wanting to cut down or go AF. When you do find someone going AF, it’s like a little secret society.
  • Balbie123
    Balbie123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    13 out of 17 days AF so far. It's been a good month and a solid start to my AF goals. I've worked out 17 times, I'm eating well and I've dropped about 9lbs. I'm not sure if I can go totally AF, but cutting way back has been a huge change and I really want it to be a new way of life vs a 1 month challenge.

I read something on this thread or the other AF thread, where it mentions the amount you drink isn't what makes you an alcoholic, but how you handle it. It was like reading off a checklist of my life. Drinking to the point of blackouts, not remember everyine, always having "one" more, waking up with regrets, etc. I'm not the type that can have 1 or 2 beers and be satisfied so I'm trying to put myself in positions where I only drink occassionally, but in the right atmosphere where it's ok to be a lush.

It's opening my eyes for sure.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    I am very cognizant of the fact that lots of people are not where we are in terms of wanting to cut down or go AF. When you do find someone going AF, it’s like a little secret society.

That is too funny. I have often thought that myself. It is truely something special to enjoy life without as much alcohol clogging my brain.
    Your doing great!

• dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,570 Member
    Options
    MissMay wrote: »
    Womona wrote: »

That is too funny. I have often thought that myself. It is truely something special to enjoy life without as much alcohol clogging my brain.
    Your doing great!

Yup, people don't understand. I ran into a friend who said "you have lost weight" and I said that I had, mostly because of cutting way back on alcohol. Then he said "let's go for a drink." D'oh. Secret society indeed, people don't get it. : - P
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,553 Member
    Options
    @dawnbgethealthy wrote:
    April 17 - AF - after months of being on this thread I feel like it is finally becoming my new normal. As much as I have done many AF days each month, not a day went by that I didn't feel like having drinks - I just didn't. I truly feel like I am not craving it as much now.

That is fantastic. I recall that exact moment. It is an aha realization. Hard to explain until you go through it. Congrats on all levels.